Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 PM

14 posts, read 114,253 times

Advertisements

Men's Health yearly study of the worst driving cities in America ranks Albquerque 10th worst.

As quoted from there website.

"To calculate our rankings, we included the rate of fatal accidents, as well as the deaths caused specifically by speeding, both from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In addition, we pulled city statistics on accident frequency from Allstate Insurance. And then we used statewide numbers on speeding from the Governors Highway Safety Association, plus NHTSA state data on seatbelt use. (Going without may be a sign of recklessness.) All of which leads to one conclusion: We need much bigger airbags. "

Last edited by bullionbuks; 09-13-2007 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
Really? That surprised the holy heck outta me!

I'm thinking Houston, Dallas, DC, Atlanta, San Fran, LA, Chicago, NYC, Miami, Detroit, St. Louis, Denver, San Diego and the list goes on and on of much larger cities and much worse traffic than Albuquerque!

But if they count accidents and speeding and DWI's... that is probably why. New Mexico does have a problem with reckless and drunk driving.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
So Does El Paso LLD.. we have lots here too.. wonder how we faired in that list?

Is the Game place still open there, War Games West? I used to drive up there once a month to pick up product for my store. I may reopen now that we are about to get so many new soldiers.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
LLD exclaimed:

> ... surprised ... me!
> larger cities and much worse traffic than Albuquerque!

The original post referred to "the rate" (of fatal accidents, etc),
so size doesn't matter (heh).

Actually, having massive gridlock in a city might also have
a dampening effect on "rates" since people spend less time
zooming around (weaving in and out) and spend more time
just sitting there (instead of doing something).

> ..... drunk driving.

Yeah, and combine that with the incredible IN-ability to actually
punish (and incarcerate) those *CAUGHT* for DWI, you certainly
have a witches' brew of offenders.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:44 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
If you've driven in Santa Fe, and they lump Santa Fe in with the Albuquerque metro, it all makes sense.

I've driven in Miami. I've driven in Los Angeles. Santa Fe is up there with the worst drivers to be found anywhere in these United States.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:19 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
Hmm... I've driven in Santa Fe but not during rush hour. And I've driven in lots of big cities and lived in several places -- two with some of the worst gridlock traffic ever and really agressive drivers too -- Houston and DC metro area.

I do see lots of speeding and reckless driving here though and and I saw that in Texas, as well Texas has lots of wrecks and DWI's like New Mexico too.

Okay I found the article on the Men's Health site... actually Albuquerque is 11th, not 10th.

It's here: The Capitals Of Crash - Men's Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque