Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,384 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the topic of overall health of people who live in ABQ. Does anyone know if the rate of cancer is lower there than in other parts of the US?

I live in a region with a high rate of cancer and lots of people have bad allergies and asthma here. Also the depression rate is high because there's no sunshine (among other reasons).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Wherever you live, if you eat a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise, your chances of being healthy are excellent. If you let yourself get obese, your chances of getting cancer and diabetes go way up. Same if you get depressed. I would advise you not to look at external factors so much like where you live, look instead at what you eat and your activity level. A sedentary lifestyle and poor diet have a very bad domino effect on your overall health.

If you look up various cancer statistics, you'll find New Mexico is very low for all of them except skin cancers. One of the negative effects of all our sunshine, if you're not careful.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post

lots of people have bad allergies and asthma here.
Those issues vary greatly here. The dust and high pollen count can be miserable for some people. I have a few bad days a year and do not have allergies or asthma. You might read these threads:
Allergies in Albuquerque
Asthma in Albuquerque, NM
Rich

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 21,721 times
Lack of sunshine, or a physical disposition to low vitamin D levels, has been linked to cancer. I read about a highrise in NYC were lots of people were getting cancer and they hired someone about "sick building syndrome." Seems all the people with cancer tended to work in the middle of the building with no windows, just artificial light.

Sunlight is good for you.

I can see moving to get sunlight.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
My depression is much, much better since we moved out here from the Northeast. A lot more sunny days have really helped. No more SAD for me. I'll never go back East because I know my depression would return after just a few days.

I had asthma when we moved here, but its better here. I left most of my triggers (cold air and humidity) behind. I didn't have allergies before, but the juniper bothers me somewhat.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 AM

148 posts, read 279,848 times
AlisonL, but how is your health during the winter there? The very cold, dry air of NM does not affect your asthma at all? And the dust...?

I could see that depression and SAD would be much improved though

Old 05-24-2012, 05:18 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
I have never had asthma and got it after I moved here in the fall. It's fine now, and it wasn't very severe. That being said, my son who has always had asthma isn't having problems. Furthermore, the air quality is much, much better here than Dallas. We were constantly having level orange days during the summer there.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
The cold in Maine is a very damp cold due to high humidity. And, it gets colder in Maine than here. It bothers me some, but not that much. I know how to deal with it, so I do.

The dust doesn't bother me too much, as I try to avoid being outside when its real windy. Plus I use my inhaler being going outside on days I know will bother. The laundry detergent aisle and perfume counters in stores bother me more than the dust.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
How bad are tree pollens in albuquerque.. Ive always wanted to live there..

Also a dry climate may not guarantee asthma free living, i lived in Adelaide, South Australia, dry mediterranean climate.. Worse asthma of my life .. So bad i moved back to the northeast... My asthma is great in winter and on rainy days, but when there is pollen and its dry..it coats everything and gets in the house and triggers my allergy induced asthma...

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
How bad are tree pollens in albuquerque.. Ive always wanted to live there..
You might read these threads:
Pollen Alerts - Pollen Counts
Allergies, Pollen During December in Albuquerque
Allergies in Albuquerque
Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque