Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,369 times

Advertisements

Hey all, moving to Albuquerque soon. I have been lurking the boards for a couple of weeks while going through the interview process for a job there. Now I have an offer in hand, things get really exciting! Not to mention busy...

Anyway, have done a lot of research but want some local input. I would love to find a part of the city that is pretty walkable, with access by foot to shops, eateries, etc. Access to hiking and biking would be high on the list, perhaps even above access to shopping. Nob Hill seems to kind of fit some of that description, but wondered if there were other areas.

Let me complicate this a bit. Have a 6 year old, so must be a safe(ish) and at least a little bit kid friendly, but most importantly, be near a good elementary school. It really seems hit or miss school wise. Some great schools right next to some that rate and rank pretty low.

I will be working in the SE, but my wife is in healthcare and likely will end up somewhere in the NE, so while west of the river is not out totally, east of the river is probably the top choice.

We do both have vehicles, but would really like to leave them in the driveway as often as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
How much of a monthly note are you willing to pay?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Nob Hill will be what you are looking for. Downtown/Oldtown and the NE have better access to trails but Nob Hill has all the other stuff you are looking for. Plus it is easy to get to the NE from there.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Thread to read: Albuquerque Walkability

Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Nob Hill will be what you are looking for. Downtown/Oldtown and the NE have better access to trails but Nob Hill has all the other stuff you are looking for. Plus it is easy to get to the NE from there.

Nob Hill
Pros: Pretty walkable to shops, eateries, etc
Cons: No easy way to walk/cycle to hiking and biking trails in the Foothills. Real estate is generally over priced for what it is.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
You are going to make a visit first, right?

People always reflexively throw out "Nob Hill" as the walkable area, but I think the Uptown area is really underrated.

Uptown has good, walkable shopping and eating. It is also a secondary hub for transit. Bike trails emanate from there.
It is a major employment center. There are movie theaters. There is rental housing, both newer and older as well
as single family homes ( older ) in that area. Freeway access is quick and easy.

It's an easy commute to SE from there with using a bus a possibility. It will also be easy commuting to anywhere in the NE - car & bus.

When I first moved there, I lived near Eubank and Louisiana. I rode the Embudito arroyo trail almost every day up to Tramway.
It was walkable and "eatable" back in the 1980's. With the new stores that have been added since then, it is even better by
orders of magnitude. Trader Joe's thought enough of Uptown to locate the second store there instead of on the West side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Thread to read: Albuquerque Walkability
I would say that these threads could be merged. I looked the older thread over and found everything on there completely up-to-date.

Last edited by mortimer; 08-08-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
When I first moved there, I lived near Eubank and Louisiana.
Mortimer, the way you phrased this you made it sound like you lived at an intersection of two streets that run parallel and 2 mi apart.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
How much of a monthly note are you willing to pay?
Plan to rent at first, probably for some time. Budget between $1000 and $1500, with the $1500 being a bit of a hard sell.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
You are going to make a visit first, right?

People always reflexively throw out "Nob Hill" as the walkable area, but I think the Uptown area is really underrated.

Uptown has good, walkable shopping and eating. It is also a secondary hub for transit. Bike trails emanate from there.
It is a major employment center. There are movie theaters. There is rental housing, both newer and older as well
as single family homes ( older ) in that area. Freeway access is quick and easy.

It's an easy commute to SE from there with using a bus a possibility. It will also be easy commuting to anywhere in the NE - car & bus.

When I first moved there, I lived near Eubank and Louisiana. I rode the Embudito arroyo trail almost every day up to Tramway.
It was walkable and "eatable" back in the 1980's. With the new stores that have been added since then, it is even better by
orders of magnitude. Trader Joe's thought enough of Uptown to locate the second store there instead of on the West side.
I would say that these threads could be merged. I looked the older thread over and found everything on there completely up-to-date.
I have spent a pretty good amount of time in New Mexico generally and in Albuquerque specifically, and it is this familiarity that was an extra bonus in accepting the position I am taking.

I have not spent any meaningful time in Nob Hill, though, so in that sense I am only going off what I have researched.

We are going to come out later this month before my start date to do some looking around to see if we can find something like we would like. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we still end up in the 'burbs (something ending in Ranch or Rancho) but we would both really like something a bit more walkable, a bit more eclectic.

We have spent the most time in Taos and Santa Fe and would love to find a part of town that sort of captures some of that same spirit, but still with good schools, and at least relative safety.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:02 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Mortimer, the way you phrased this you made it sound like you lived at an intersection of two streets that run parallel and 2 mi apart.
I meant to say Menaul and not Eubank.

You can see where I would make that mistake since both street names have six letters - sharing
the same three vowels. I often mistake one for the other when typing. It's a natural mistake.

Thank you for helping me, and others, make sense of the stuff I'm posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WandererWest View Post
It is not out of the realm of possibility that we still end up in the 'burbs (something ending in Ranch or Rancho) ...
If you know you are working in the SE ( I'm assuming S of Central and E of Louisiana ... ) then
some practice river crossings at the anticipated times that you will be commuting will be in order.

When rationalizing the lower cost of housing, be sure to factor in the cost of driving your car
other than gasoline. Most people assume this to be zero when it is usually more than the fuel cost.

Also, factor in the value of your time. Even at $5/hour, an extra hour on the road per day works
out to more than $1,000 per year. I like to assign more like $100/hour for time spent in my car.
Time spent on my bike or bus or walking counts as either exercise or reading time and thus is multiplied by $-0-.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque