Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,259 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

So it looks like i am relocating to ABQ ! Im a young Irish lad working for Intel and heading out here on a 6month odd assignment. Delighted I have found this forum as it seems pretty active and offers some great info.

Currently i am looking at The Aspens on Eagle Ranch RD NW as it is close to work and looks to relatively good for local amenities. Another possible option would be Las Mananitas on Montano Plaza Drive NW.

Does anybody have any experience with these apartments? What is the paradise hills area like to live?

From what I have read here Nob Hill or Downtown area would be suited to me. What would the journey be like from here to Intel during regular working hours? Is there any complexes similar to the above in these areas?

Any info greatly appreciated...I guess I am going to be a frequent poster here with all the questions I have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Congrats on the assignment When are you coming over ? Where in Ireland are you from ?

I am from Ireland and have been here about 10 years. Nob Hill and Downtown are good areas, I hang there a lot when I am in Burque. Not sure about the renting situation in the area but it is nice.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzday View Post
Currently i am looking at The Aspens on Eagle Ranch RD NW as it is close to work and looks to relatively good for local amenities.
The Aspens, 9677 Eagle Ranch Rd Nw Albuquerque, NM I am in the general area a lot. It is very close to Intel, less than 5 km. Also close to Cottonwood Mall. You could almost ride your bike to work, It is uphill... I would move there. But I am a 'vehicle' person, I have always had a vehicle to drive most of my life.

Quote:
Another possible option would be Las Mananitas on Montano Plaza Drive NW.
Still a nice area, further South a bit, about 11 km to Intel. Just a few blocks to the Mantano Open Space and Rio Grade if you like to walk and bike.

Paseo del Bosque Trail — City of Albuquerque

Most of Paradise Hills is a nice area. Traffic can be a bit hectic at times. All of the above areas Intel, those apartments are on the same side (West) of the Rio Grande. There are only a few bridges which cross.

Quote:
From what I have read here Nob Hill or Downtown area would be suited to me. What would the journey be like from here to Intel during regular working hours? Is there any complexes similar to the above in these areas?
It would be a 28 km drive, cross the Rio Grande, I am guessing a 40 minute drive maximum. Most of the traffic will be going the opposite direction, so it might not be as bad

Difficult decision. We do not go to Knob Hill or the Downtown area that often. We have our own house, kids, dogs, grandkids in the area, Rio Rancho, about 5 km north of Intel. If I was there temporary, and had a vehicle I would prefer to stay in the Las Mananita. I could go home from work, freshen up and then go to Knob Hill if I wanted to. But that is just my opinion....

MAP: Intel to Las Mananita to Nob Hill: Intel Corporation to Nob Hill, Albuquerque, NM - Google Maps

Rich

Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
A nice choice of locally brewed beers in ABQ as well:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...breweries.html

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM

192 posts, read 256,484 times
Between the two you posted I'm thinking The Aspens would be a better choice. I drive by there regularly and only live around the block, and it would be closer to your work, looks fairly new, and of course you have the mall and the abundance of shopping around the mall. Everything you could possibly need would be no further than 2 miles away(sorry I don't do km). I still get lost in the shopping that encompasses Coors, Alameda, Ellison, and Coors Bypass. There is literally hundreds of stores, restaurants, big box places and you would be five minutes from Intel no matter the traffic. The one thing it does lack is the nightlife.
But like Rich posted, if you are more interested in a better nightlife than I'm guessing the nob hill area would be better and you would be commuting the other way, so I'm assuming the trip would not be too bad. But I'm relatively new to the ABQ area so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 PM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
There are several Irish families living in the northwest corner of ABQ and in RR who are transfers from the Intel in Ireland. The one thing they all unanimously love is the weather here. I know someone who lives at the Aspens and they seem to like it just fine.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 AM

17 posts, read 28,340 times
Living in the Nob Hill area would be very nice, but the commute to Intel would drive me crazy. I love this city, but I hate commuting here. I feel super blessed that my current drive to work is only 7 minutes.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:31 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
My commute takes me the same 20 min to drive or ride my bike.

I love that.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 5,259 times
Thanks for all the replies guys! I am sure I will have alot more questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Congrats on the assignment When are you coming over ? Where in Ireland are you from ?
Cheers! I am a Galway lad myself. Coming over beginning of Oct...going to be an adventure to say the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The Aspens, 9677 Eagle Ranch Rd Nw Albuquerque, NM I am in the general area a lot. It is very close to Intel, less than 5 km. Also close to Cottonwood Mall. You could almost ride your bike to work, It is uphill... I would move there. But I am a 'vehicle' person, I have always had a vehicle to drive most of my life.
I think the Aspens looks to be my choice.

Currently trying to get my full Irish drivers license over here berfore I head over ( Living in Dublin the last few years has mitigated my need for it!) and if worst case scenario I dont get it I will be waiting a awhile before I can apply for the NM drivers test . At least being this close to work and all those amenities means I wont be stranded with just a bike!

How uphill is this cycle anyways?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
A nice choice of locally brewed beers in ABQ as well:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...breweries.html
I will certainly be taking advantage of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
There are several Irish families living in the northwest corner of ABQ and in RR who are transfers from the Intel in Ireland. The one thing they all unanimously love is the weather here. I know someone who lives at the Aspens and they seem to like it just fine.
I have no doubt I will unanimously love the weather myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
Between the two you posted I'm thinking The Aspens would be a better choice. I drive by there regularly and only live around the block, and it would be closer to your work, looks fairly new, and of course you have the mall and the abundance of shopping around the mall. Everything you could possibly need would be no further than 2 miles away(sorry I don't do km). I still get lost in the shopping that encompasses Coors, Alameda, Ellison, and Coors Bypass. There is literally hundreds of stores, restaurants, big box places and you would be five minutes from Intel no matter the traffic. The one thing it does lack is the nightlife.
But like Rich posted, if you are more interested in a better nightlife than I'm guessing the nob hill area would be better and you would be commuting the other way, so I'm assuming the trip would not be too bad. But I'm relatively new to the ABQ area so take my suggestion for what it's worth.
TBH i could be over here awhile. I think I will go with the Aspens for the meanwhile and if my assignment gets extended Ill have alook maybe moving in towards the center. With the promise of 6am starts, a long commute doesn't appeal!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
I think the Aspens looks to be my choice.

Currently trying to get my full Irish drivers license over here berfore I head over ( Living in Dublin the last few years has mitigated my need for it!) and if worst case scenario I dont get it I will be waiting a awhile before I can apply for the NM drivers test . At least being this close to work and all those amenities means I wont be stranded with just a bike!

How uphill is this cycle anyways?!
Looks like about 60 meters elevation in about 1 kilometer.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-12-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque