Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about the recent purchase of the First Solar facility in Mesa AZ by the Apple supplier, and I'm curious. Why was it there and not here? I know we have some realtors on the forum here - was it because we didn't have the available facilities (or similar) for sale? Or is it due more to the business recruiting slush fund it appears AZ has and NM doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,800 times
Proximity to suppliers/logistics infrastructure and availability of space probably factored into it.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 PM

A friend sent me an article on Apple's data center in NC, and their solar farm next door that powers it. Which then made me wonder, why NC and why not here, if they had to put in a solar farm? (Apple wanted to use clean energy and Duke Energy didn't offer clean energy, still doesn't. PNM does.) We have more sunlight that just about any state, and I don't see where the overall workforce of AZ or NC is any more educated than ABQ, nor are the schools or personal taxes in those states any better or lower.

Which then makes me wonder just WTH the city, county and state ARE doing to entice good jobs here? Sure, we get the call centers (good fit given our bilingual population) but call centers don't have that much to invest and are notorious about closing up shop and moving when the tax incentives dry up. But manufacturing? Tech jobs? Why aren't we getting them?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM

I think the Gross Receipts Tax is a big hindrance to a lot of companies contemplating coming here, as well as hindering the growth of companies already here. If you're a business looking for a service, you're better off getting it from out of state because it will be cheaper. If you need a design firm to design your product, or someone to build your website, etc. you'll save 7% by using someone outside of NM to do it. It makes no sense, unless your sole purpose is extracting money from federal goverment contractors that don't have a choice because the labs are located here.

I've heard there may be some political moves afoot to change the GRT, but I've not heard any details or what the chances of a decent reform or replacement might be, such as a basic sales tax on goods like other states have.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Incentives to lure Apple plant to Mesa revealed

Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 PM

The Arizona Commerce Authority wooed Apple Inc. to Mesa with the assistance of a $10million grant, the largest sum ever distributed by the group’s business-development fund, according to documents released Tuesday.

The entire article is at: http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...-revealed.html

Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
As bribing someone is illegal I wonder why states can get away with it.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 77,956 times
The Phoenix metro area has scored some big wins as of late, the big General Motors innovation center also comes to mind, 600+ well paying information systems jobs now the Apple site.

My mother in law lives in the area and we visit often, and frankly it's just a better area in my opinion for the large companies such as the above, a nice airport, good transportation infrastructure, and whatever you may think of the AZ government, it's a government that is committed to growth and the entire area just feels like there are economic opportunities to be had.

I don't think the same is true about ABQ, I've had people complain to me from out of state about the airport and the need for multiple connections to get here, while it may seem like no big deal the people who make these decisions about to were to locate pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As bribing someone is illegal I wonder why states can get away with it.
It's not a bribe... So lets not go there, OK?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 PM

I think the Gross Receipts Tax is a big hindrance to a lot of companies contemplating coming here, as well as hindering the growth of companies already here.

Have you ever looked at AZ sales tax? Excuse me, they call it the Transaction Privilege Tax. And it's nothing more than a Gross Receipts Tax with a patronizing name. It's about as bad as ours. Although, I must say, the NM legislature DID make some significant changes to the construction portion of the GRT that went into effect this past January.

I just don't get why jobs and companies that will stick around after the tax incentive ends aren't higher on the political radar in NM.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I think the Gross Receipts Tax is a big hindrance to a lot of companies contemplating coming here, as well as hindering the growth of companies already here.

Have you ever looked at AZ sales tax? Excuse me, they call it the Transaction Privilege Tax. And it's nothing more than a Gross Receipts Tax with a patronizing name. It's about as bad as ours. Although, I must say, the NM legislature DID make some significant changes to the construction portion of the GRT that went into effect this past January.

I just don't get why jobs and companies that will stick around after the tax incentive ends aren't higher on the political radar in NM.
I don't really know anything about that tax in Arizona, but if it's anything like the GRT it's probably bad for their economy. Though I'm guessing there are some specifics to it that make it favorable for Apple.

What about Utah? They only offer incentives once a company has performed up to expectations and the median income there is similar to CO, which I've heard also doesn't offer incentives of the type seen in AZ and TX.

And what's to keep Apple from leaving Mesa when the next place gives them a better deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque