Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,952 times

Advertisements

Saw several snakes on the roads last year, but not one in the yard. Never have seen a rattler but I know they are around. All our many critters here coexist and the warnings about too many snakes in Placitas are not justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Placitas is pretty much desert-like. Not a lot of water, not a lot of vegetation.
A knowledgeable person who lives in Placitas commented on my description. They said:
Quote:
That's one of the things I like most about Placitas is our year around green, albeit shrubbery green. The junipers/cedars give us a year around green that other parts of the area don't have. Granted we don't have the big Cottonwoods of the Bosque, but we get it 365 days.
Rich

Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Not all Placitas vegetation is green:

Taken in Placitas, NM, April 2010. Not sure what it is, but it certainly stood out.

Rich

Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 24,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleberd View Post
Is it correct that there are a lot of snakes in Placitas?
There are snakes - both bullsnakes (which are good) and rattlesnakes (which are not). The bullsnakes keep the rattlers away, but aside from slightly different looking heads and the obvious rattles on the tail, they look similar.

The drought has made the snakes worse in the last few years - they are more aggressive than usual, which has been my experience in any drought.

I hike regularly and often in Placitas. Last May, 1 of my 2 dogs was bitten on the nose by a rattler I never saw. She must have stuck her nose in a hole or under a rock. The vet said that based on the bloodwork it was either a diamondback rattler, or a prarie rattler. The poor dogs' head swelled up like a balloon. She survived, but also had benefit of having had the rattlesnake vaccine now available for dogs, and getting her to a vet within the hour. I also had a friend in Placitas call me when her dog was bitten by a rattler that same summer. She wanted to know where to take her dog. That dog too, survived.

I have seen more than 1 bullsnake on our own 2 acres, but as I said, we like having those things around. I've only chased one away from our front steps once to prevent it from getting into the house. We've never had any snakes in our house.

There are all different income levels in Placitas - from "McMansions," to people stll living in buses out in the "sticks." Don't believe everything everyone tells you - remember, realtors like the higher priced real estate and buyers because of their commissions.

Last edited by Road-Runner; 03-06-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 24,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
My observation of Placitas is that it is clearly for the wealthy. Dh and I are retired military and federal government. I went in to visit with the local Placitas real estate office and he sniffed, "Our houses begin at $500,000" as he looked me up and down. Placitas is indeed "special" in their own little way. At the convenience store, you'll find newspapers from New York City and other large eastern cities. New Mexicans living there? I don't think so.
Wow. I can't believe you'd say that.

I am from New Mexico, born and raised. I moved to 3 other states and came back. And I live in Placitas.

There are houses that have sat vacant in Ranchos de Placitas because investors were building just to sell - making the place more congested. If they are over pricing them, they are still vacant. Go figure.

Snobs may come from elsewhere - but not typically from New Mexico.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
My observation of Placitas is that it is clearly for the wealthy. Dh and I are retired military and federal government. I went in to visit with the local Placitas real estate office and he sniffed, "Our houses begin at $500,000" as he looked me up and down. Placitas is indeed "special" in their own little way. At the convenience store, you'll find newspapers from New York City and other large eastern cities. New Mexicans living there? I don't think so.
I've lived in Placitas for almost 10 years now. My neighbors, including several native New Mexicans, are friendly, respectful and helpful without being nosy. Some of the local critters, OTH, could improve on their table manners. ;-)

Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM

146 posts, read 325,854 times
We didn't go to Placitas because I was scared of the snakes, lol.

We rented in Glenwood for 6 months and then bought in Vista del Mundo, right on the open space. My cat was killed by a snake, my dog has been attacked by an owl, and the woman down the street went out to have coffee on the patio one morning last month and found a mountain lion on her chaise lounge. Maybe I should have gone to Nob Hill...

Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 PM

P.S. the plan is retire to Placitas when the kids finish school.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 AM

98 posts, read 215,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsWest View Post
We didn't go to Placitas because I was scared of the snakes, lol.

We rented in Glenwood for 6 months and then bought in Vista del Mundo, right on the open space. My cat was killed by a snake, my dog has been attacked by an owl, and the woman down the street went out to have coffee on the patio one morning last month and found a mountain lion on her chaise lounge. Maybe I should have gone to Nob Hill...

sorry to hear. was this an indoor cat or outside?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 PM

an indoor cat that hatched a great escape, with dire consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque