Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You dont wear a winter coat at night in ABQ? My winter visits to Santa Fe and ABQ (short stays) were frickin freezing at night.
Santa Fe's climate is completely different than Albuquerque's.

Trying to compare the two just doesn't work. It is like trying to compare the climate in Flagstaff, AZ with Prescott, AZ. Sure, they are geographically nearby, but the altitude and the proximity to the mountains makes a huge difference.

Having said that, yes, if you are out and about in late evenings in ABQ, you'd want a winter coat for some small chunks of the year.

In the daytime / early evening in ABQ, you probably need a winter coat 3 or 4 times all winter total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Steve-o reported:

> > Throughout wintertime ... the sun shines on average 86% of the time

> Actually its in the low 70% range, but thats not too shabby either.

I wonder what the numbers are supposed to mean. Perhaps if you are measuring at one point and the sun only hits the measuring point 49% of the day, it is not counted as *any* sun.

I'd estimate that at least 95% or more days in the winter had some significant sunshine and blue skies visible. You can go for days and days in the midwest without that happening.

Of course, 280 days, 290 days, 312 days, whatever, sure isn't going to sway my one way or another.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It was 19 deg at the bus stop this morning in southern NH. I am getting fed up with this cold.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It was 19 deg at the bus stop this morning in southern NH. I am getting fed up with this cold.
Yeah, I hear you GregW.

The nice thing about ABQ's climate is that while you may get some 19 degree (or lower) early AM's, by that afternoon, it'll be in the 40s or 50s, etc., with a strong sun, so you know if you just "hang in there" for a few hours, you'll have a nice middle-to-end of the day.

And, by mid-FEB, March, you're into the 50s, 60s, and 70s and get a nice break from the winter.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Santa Fe's climate is completely different than Albuquerque's.

Trying to compare the two just doesn't work. It is like trying to compare the climate in Flagstaff, AZ with Prescott, AZ. Sure, they are geographically nearby, but the altitude and the proximity to the mountains makes a huge difference.

Having said that, yes, if you are out and about in late evenings in ABQ, you'd want a winter coat for some small chunks of the year.

In the daytime / early evening in ABQ, you probably need a winter coat 3 or 4 times all winter total.
Im aware of the elevation differences, thanks. When I was in ABQ's "Old Town" around Christmas time checking out the shops and farolitas (sp?), it was damn cold, probably in the teens although I didnt officially see. I was wearing my Old Navy ski coat and was still cold. I just couldnt figure out how you could go at night in ABQ w/o a winter coat at night. If that was the case, you could be able to go out in Chicago's winters (daytime highs) w/o a winter coat. NUTS!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I wonder what the numbers are supposed to mean. Perhaps if you are measuring at one point and the sun only hits the measuring point 49% of the day, it is not counted as *any* sun.

I'd estimate that at least 95% or more days in the winter had some significant sunshine and blue skies visible. You can go for days and days in the midwest without that happening.

Of course, 280 days, 290 days, 312 days, whatever, sure isn't going to sway my one way or another.
If the site is like any other weather website, they take the average sunrise and sunset times and measure the annual sunshine % accordingly. And yes, while you can go several days in Chicago without significant sunshine, we average about 25-30% less sunshine in winter, which is what? A week or so less sunshine every month? Sound about right? Thats pretty significant, but not like some people who state "you never see the sun in the winter in Chicago" BS. Anyways, this website is what I use for weather averages and its usually right on the money. Here is ABQ's page if youre interested...

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States of America

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
well it seems like the sun does shine here about 90% of the winter,I would say, and I havent wore a heavy winter coat in 3 years,I just wear a pullover(hoodie) but I dont stay outside much in the nights in the winter.I just get to where I am going,but even when I get out of work at 9:00pm it still dosent feel all that cold even in January only unless there is a small breeze then it feels freezing.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Steve-o wondered:

> ... couldnt figure out how ... go at night in ABQ w/o a winter coat at night.

"go out" might mean different things. My house has a heater. My car has a heater. Whereever I'm going has a heater, so I usually don't have a coat.

If I'm planning a long walk or something, I might need a coat. If I'm waiting for a bus, likewise. I wouldn't put on a coat just to fill up my car with gas or to go shopping.

Yeah. It's like that.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I also find that keeping the thermostat at 58 degrees (50 at night) helps you adjust well to Albuquerque temps. Also, If you commute by bicycle, you will be warm enough to sweat even on the coldest mornings of the year. I showed up at work stripped down to a t-shirt a few times this winter when the temp was in the upper teens / low 20's.

Of course when I was a teenager I used to walk to school in single-digit temps in just a Levi's jean jacket. That said, I do get cold, contrary to popular opinion :-) The wind, in particular, is my nemesis.

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque