Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 71,888 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Albuquerque from Phoenix, Arizona (5 million people). As a Single woman (age 37), what is the dating scene like in Albuquerque? I do not drink (so bars are not of interest to me). I do enjoy being outdoors and am only interested in meeting men that are equally spiritual, successful and intelligent. I will be living in the NE Heights.
Any suggestions? Any places to stay away from?
Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:59 PM

47 posts, read 237,146 times
If you're not into the bar scene, then there are other options but not as many. If you're up in the heights, one of the best options is probably the gym or to get into an outdoors club that does hiking, camping, rock climbing, etc... I'm a 21 year old around the university area, and even then its a little difficult.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Thank you! Maybe I will pull up the demographics for Albuquerque on line. If I find anything interesting, I will let you know. Why are there so few Singles in ABQ?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:28 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,602 times
I think there are lots of young singles in Albuquerque, but not older say 35 and up. This is a university town so tons of young singles attending UNM.

That said, I also think this town is very family oriented which is very nice for married people with kids. And it attracts lots of families with kids and part of that is because of reasonable housing prices. And also retired empty nesters because of nice weather and reasonable housing costs.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:03 PM

. You're right, that makes sense. Oh well, I guess I will just go about doing things I enjoy and I am sure I will meet someone, sometime. At least that I want to be with also..
Regardless, I am still very excited to get there. Btw, a while back, a friend mentioned to me that there may be a motion picture corp. opening a studio in ABQ. Have you heard of this? Do you (or anyone) know any details? Exactly which Company etc.
I do some modeling, commercials etc. So that would be great for me. Also, how do the locals feel about bringing "Hollywood" to Albuquerque?

Thank you! Michelle

Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 PM

47 posts, read 237,146 times
WELL the movie scene is not really a huge issue among the city, but some people find it a bad thing. We pretty much don't charge taxes on filming, unlike most other states. Hence why we've become so popular... it's cheaper! A friend of mine is in the show stuff here and she hasn't heard about anything. Right now shes a stand in for "Wild Fire" which is filmed in Santa Fe, and has been in 3 other movies shot here. So she definitely would have told me about that lol

But as far as the singles scene, it all depends on your interests and what you do. Depending on your job, you'll find a lot of single people that way or if you like to exercise thats another way. The downtown is primarily catered to "lets get drunk and dance" as opposed to meeting people. I'm the youngest person at my work, the 2nd youngest is like 35 or so.

Michelle if you want to see if my friend knows of anything going on, send me some of your info and i'll relay it to her.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Thank you! Interestingly, one of the makeup artist working in the Wild Fire crew, was the artist they used for my last commercial in Phoenix (for a local Swimming Pool company). She was really nice. Although she fixed my hair in an eighties style which was ackward, but they don't give the 'talent' an option to complain. Unless you are famous. Which I am not. Anyway, she was sweet.
Michelle

Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
hows the inter racial dating? lotsa Latinas, right?

also, whats the social/political atmosphere? ultra conservative? moderately liberal?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAZ View Post
Thank you! Interestingly, one of the makeup artist working in the Wild Fire crew, was the artist they used for my last commercial in Phoenix (for a local Swimming Pool company). She was really nice. Although she fixed my hair in an eighties style which was ackward, but they don't give the 'talent' an option to complain. Unless you are famous. Which I am not. Anyway, she was sweet.
Michelle
When I worked in TV in Albuq back in 1988/89, I was amazed at how many people there were there that worked in the movie/TV production business in all sorts of specialties. And, I used to see lots of stars coming and going at the airport especially. According to a book I'm reading the first film was made there in about 1897 and they've shot tons of films in NM ever since. NM is a very artsy/outdoorsy kind of place. Relax, you'll fit right in. Too bad I'm too old for you...(plus in love with my wife). Ha, ha.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAZ View Post
. Btw, a while back, a friend mentioned to me that there may be a motion picture corp. opening a studio in ABQ. Have you heard of this? Do you (or anyone) know any details? Exactly which Company etc.
I do some modeling, commercials etc. So that would be great for me. Also, how do the locals feel about bringing "Hollywood" to Albuquerque?

Thank you! Michelle
The studio will actually be in Rio Rancho. It is Lionsgate Entertainment. There's a little blurb on it on City Centre and Other Developments (http://www.rredc.org/rrprofile/cc.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque