Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 PM

330 posts, read 432,324 times

Advertisements

We are currently planning to relocate from Irvine, CA to another location within the next 6-9 months and have narrowed down the list of potential locations to 5. Albuquerque is definitely on that list and we're going to come out in late May to check it out. We are in our late 30's, 2 young kids (2 and 5) and the most important things for us at the moment in a location are
  • Safe Area with Low Crime
  • Clean
  • Good Schools Elementary through High School
  • Affordable
  • Socially Liberal Attitude (we're not religious)
My initial research of the Albuquerque area has led us to look at Rio Rancho. We have no need of a night life, we don't care that there are chains everywhere. We are looking for safety, amenities (Target etc.), good schools and quiet living. Our budget will be between 350-400K (which would barely buy you a 1 bedroom apartment in Irvine). I would be working out of my home so I will have no commute. We would be sacrificing a little on weather and we know that. Anywhere else you would recommend in the ABQ metro that would fit our needs? Opinions on Rio Rancho? Will moving from CA to NM be too much of a culture shock? Are we crazy?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
I moved from LA to Alb. and there was no shock. But that was 30 years ago and I knew what to expect. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
As much as I bag on Rio Rancho, if you're bringing your job with you, it sounds like your perfect choice. Newer and more affordable housing stock. Area politics will probably be comparable if even a little left of Orange County.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
350-400k? You will be like a millionaire. People with a combined income of 100k do quite well for housing in Rio Rancho. And it is mostly quiet, decent schools, and every chain store/restaurant corporate America ever dreamed of. Combine that with the fact that Albuquerque and Santa Fe, actually interesting cities, are close by, and you may well find happiness there. Good luck!

And RR has the best view of the local mountains going for it, too.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a really good fit. We will do some more thorough investigation. I read some threads about dust storms. Are those exaggerated?

Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a really good fit. We will do some more thorough investigation. I read some threads about dust storms. Are those exaggerated?
We do get high winds, and sometimes it kicks up a lot of dust, but not always. This is a notorious time of year for it (roughly March to May), but so far, nothing too bad, and I haven't noticed or heard of any dust storms. Around this time last year, there was a week with some bad days.

I have seen far worse dust storms in Phoenix, FWIW. Like something you see in a disaster movie.

The weather here, on the whole, is great. One of the best features of this place.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 PM

How about the winters? On the face of it they don't look too bad compared to most places. SoCal doesn't really have a winter so it would make a nice change.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 PM

72 posts, read 322,769 times
As an alternative to RR, I'd offer up the High Desert area in the far NE Heights of ABQ (just east of the intersections of Tramway and Academy). It's right at the base of the Sandias and the national forest. You can literally walk out your door and hike to the crest (long hard hike though). Lots of open space and trails. The housing stock is all very new, almost all of it built since 2000. It has a very different feel from the rest of ABQ. Stunning views of the Sandias looming above and the lights of the valley below to the west. Don't know much about school quality in the NE Heights area, but as far as safety goes, it's safe to the point of boring. If you watched Breaking Bad, that's where Hank's house was located, and it gives you an idea of the scenery.

Although I see the attraction of Rio Rancho to some, I personally never cared for it. Not meaning to offend any Rio Ranchers, but it always struck me as typical Orange County tract development, relocated to the desert, and not executed especially well.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
How about the winters? On the face of it they don't look too bad compared to most places. SoCal doesn't really have a winter so it would make a nice change.
I am a relative newcomer and can't speak to how this winter compared to recent years, but it was in my mind quite mild, with only a handful of really cold days (like overnight lows in teens, daily highs in 30s). We had a big snow in late Feb or early March - I measured a foot at my house, higher than the officially reported snow fall. That was overnight Friday, into early Saturday. By Saturday afternoon the streets were completely clear from evaporation and melting, and by Monday there were only traces of snow on the north side of walls. I have never seen that much snow melt and disappear that fast.

We had about an inch of snow a week or so before XMAS, and a couple of trace amount events on other days, but overall, this winter was a snap, no problem getting around. The more typical winter day here is high in the 50s, sunshine, and overnight lows in the 30s. Plenty of days hit the 60s and 70s, too.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
ABQ is a bit less religious than Rio Rancho, IMO. Not that either is overly religious though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque