Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,141 times

Advertisements

What are the names of neighborhoods in the Northeast quadrant of Albuquerque that are near the Balloon Fiesta activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Balloon Fiesta Park is within what is called "WILDFLOWER AREA" Neighborhood.

Here is the city map which will show all the Neighborhood Associations: Neighborhood Associations Map

Enter Balloon Fiesta Park, Albuquerque in the search window, and it will zoom to the area.

There are about 70 Neighborhood Associations in the city of Albuquerque, a list with maps is here: http://www.cabq.gov/planning/residents/links

Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,141 times
Thanks, Poncho-NM. Your reply to my post has been hugely helpful! It set me on my way to finding an airbnb studio to stay in during my trip to Albuquerque in October.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:28 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,850 times
Default Hosting a Meetup in ABQ for Balloon Fiesta!

Hi!

I'm hosting a Meetup Event in Albuquerque for the balloon festival this fall. Travel plans (from Richmond, VA) is Thursday 10/1 - Monday 10/5.

A few questions:

1. What are the best hole-in-the-wall southwest restaurants? I looked on TripAdvisor and the ones with the best rankings are La Salita, Bocadillos New Mexico, Mary & Tito's Cafe, Sadie's of New Mexico, Casa de Benavidez. Are there any others you'd recommend since we will be there for a good 5 days?

2. I really want to see the balloon fiesta (obviously...) but was wondering if I had to pay tickets to go to the park, or if I could see them elsewhere? Sort of how Fireworks are a free show, if you just know the right location

3. What other things are there to do? Besides the Zoo, Jeep Tours (the pink jeeps look awesome!!), Food tours, Ghost tours, and Breaking Bad tour (if you're a fan of the show, which I am not). The Sandia Peak Tramway looks perfect for camera shots. Are there any good hikes (for an amateur hiker, not a pro)?

4. Is renting a car going to be a necessity?

5. What other things should I know about the Balloon Fiesta?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:06 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post

1. What are the best hole-in-the-wall southwest restaurants?!
Cervantes restaurant is our favorite, hands down, though there are many others that folks here on this site will recommend. Hole in the wall on the outside, terrific inside. Great salsa, great carne adovada, and amazing hand-crafted jalapeno margaritas. A great place for an out-of-towner. http://www.cervantesabq.com/

I'd also at least visit the Hotel Andaluz downtown, or even stay there (but good luck getting a room that week). Old and restored, amazing murals and interior, and a terrific rooftop patio. They also have great jalapeno margaritas at the wonderful rooftop bar. Just such a classy old-school Albuquerque place. http://www.hotelandaluz.com/

Have fun!

Last edited by kpl1228; 07-27-2015 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Quote:
1. What are the best hole-in-the-wall southwest restaurants? I looked on TripAdvisor and the ones with the best rankings are La Salita, Bocadillos New Mexico, Mary & Tito's Cafe, Sadie's of New Mexico, Casa de Benavidez. Are there any others you'd recommend since we will be there for a good 5 days?
Will have to weigh in on La Salita. It's very popular with some people, particularly due to its proximity to the base. We had a very unfortunate meal there (the four of us got sick) and some things that should never be served cold were served cold (enchiladas). My significant other calls it "Mexican food for white people" (disclaimer: I'm white). The prices were also disproportionately high for New Mexican food. We will hence be avoiding it even when out-of-town guests insist on eating there.

Had a really good experience with Sadie's Eubank, and a few bad experiences with Sadie's Academy. Never had a bad experience at Sadie's on 4th. Sadie's unapologetically makes their food spicier than Albuquerque standard.

Quote:
2. I really want to see the balloon fiesta (obviously...) but was wondering if I had to pay tickets to go to the park, or if I could see them elsewhere? Sort of how Fireworks are a free show, if you just know the right location
Yes, you can see it throughout town. To see it up close there's no substitute to paying the ticket and walking among them as they inflate and lift off. The smart people show up at a ridiculously early hour (like 2am) to get the really good parking and avoid traffic both coming and going. It's not that difficult, particularly if there are a lot of good weather flying days, to get a ride in a balloon for cheap or free.

Quote:
3. What other things are there to do? Besides the Zoo, Jeep Tours (the pink jeeps look awesome!!), Food tours, Ghost tours, and Breaking Bad tour (if you're a fan of the show, which I am not). The Sandia Peak Tramway looks perfect for camera shots. Are there any good hikes (for an amateur hiker, not a pro)?
Drive up to the Sandia Crest where the Tram stops, and there's a few good trails that don't involve a whole lot of exertion. People do fall off the trails and die every year, but these incidents are rare. The foothills of the Sandias also have some good trails. From just about anywhere in town, just drive east until you see a parking lot and no more road. Also a big fan of the bosque trails next to the river.

Quote:
Yes. Unless you bring your own. This can be a dangerous time of year to be driving because nobody's looking at the road, they're looking at the balloons.

Quote:
It's sometimes COLD COLD COLD in the mornings! Also, realize that $30 will not feed your entire group of 4 when on the fiesta grounds.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Yes you have to pay to get into the park.

Their website: The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Welcome to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta

You might read these threads:
Balloon Fiesta Viewing: Best Alternatives to Balloon Fiesta Park?
ABQ International Balloon Fiesta

Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 PM

963 posts, read 2,301,920 times
1. What are the best hole-in-the-wall southwest restaurants?

I am big on good & cheap when it comes to restaurants. I started a review site for the best cheap restaurants in ABQ at The Best Restaurants In Albuquerque | Listing Categories | AbqStyle.com that you may find helpful. here are a few of my favorites:

Frontier Restaurant - good and reliable New Mexican diner food- great for breakfast, but more importantly, the best casual 'slice of life" dining experience in Albuquerque. A great intro to ABQ culture and people. You will see long lines but service is fast and there are plenty of tables.

El Modelos - Very good and cheap. For the cost of McDonalds this is great hybrid New Mexican/Mexican food. Great for a cheap lunch on the go.

The Cube - If you have a big group that's want to a place to relax, eat and laugh out loud, this is it. Great burgers and ribs, huge portions, and you can have a big group at one table (just pull together as many tables as you need). Casual, loud and fun.

Weck's - Open only for breakfast and lunch and known for huge portions. If you want one meal to last all day, come here for breakfast.

Blakes Lotaburger - New Mexico's answer to McDonalds. Cheap filling breakfast burritos and a very good fast food chile cheeseburger (always order the double meat).

Flying Star Cafe - An urbane and hip alternative to New Mexican food. As long as you stay away from the pricey desserts you can eat well for $10-12. If you do want to splurge, the cakes here are some of the best in ABQ.

Getting up at 4:30 every morning to see the Fiesta is tiring. You don't need to buy tickets in advance if you are taking the Park and Ride - you buy at the place you board the bus (just be early). I would recommend staying flexible (just in case of windy days when the balloons cannot ascend) The two days you should not miss are Thurs. and Fri. You have the Special Shapes Rodeo (all of the character balloons), flying in the morning, and the Special Shapes Glodeo and Fireworks in the evening. Either of those days is worth the ticket price for a full day of events, they are the most photogenic days to attend. Take one of the days you don't go to the Fiesta and visit Santa Fe - the commuter train is only $10 round trip (adult) and is a great way to see the countryside and enjoy downtown Santa Fe.

I consider the hiking trails that start at the Elena Gallegos Picnic Area some of the most dramatically beautiful in ABQ. Here is a photo I took near one trail at sunset. These are not difficult and give you access to some of the most beautiful mountain scenery in ABQ. Best place to see a sunset. Just be aware that there is no bus service direct the Sandia Peak Tramway or Elena Gallegos Picnic Area.

You will need to make certain that your hotel is within walking distance to a Park and Ride location for the Balloon Fiesta. There are no city buses running in the vicinity of the Balloon Fiesta. If it was me, I would recommend staying in a downtown hotel near Central Ave. like the Doubletree, The Marriot or the Andaluz downtown if you absolutely don't want to drive, and using the special charter bus service that goes to the Balloon Fiesta each morning and brings you back (It is more expensive than the Park and Ride). Staying downtown will also put you near the downtown city buses with easy access to Nob Hill, Downtown, Old Town and the Alvarado Transportation Center where you can take the RailRunner to Santa Fe. Plus, you will be near City Hall and downtown where there are a number of good restaurants that are a short walk or bus ride away. These hotels will be a bit pricier, but if you don't want to rent a car, they are in the best location to see all of the important attractions after the Fiesta. Just a reminderIf you don't want to rent car make sure a Park and Ride for the Fiesta is within walking distance of your hotel!

If you don't want to drive, it is easier to see Santa Fe and Taos without a car than it is to tour Albuquerque. There are inexpensive Day Trip buses from Santa Fe to Taos, and the RailRunner commuter train from downtown ABQ is a wonderful way to visit Santa Fe. Personally, I would do that rather than trying to get around ABQ without a car.

Weather is our master. if it is too windy, the balloons will not be allowed to fly. Also, don't judge the quality of New Mexican food by what you eat the Fiesta. Feeding thousands within a small time frame means that many of the subtleties of New Mexican cooking will be missing. Eat light, and save your appetite until after 9am when the morning is over and select a good restaurant.

Last edited by Design7; 07-27-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
I highly recommend taking the ABQRide bus service to/from the Fiesta. You get to bypass the parking nightmare and the fare includes park admission. The buses leave from multiple Park & Ride locations around the city.

We've grabbed coffee and burritos and sat in the parking lot of the Target at Paseo before, to watch morning launches. There used to be a big field on Louisiana north of Alameda that you could park in, but I haven't been by there in years so I don't know if the field has been developed or not since then.

If you don't go to the park for the morning ascension (personally, I like the big view away from the park in the am), then definitely try to go for one of the balloon glows. They're cool.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Dang, you're coming in the first weekend. The second weekend is when the special shapes balloons are here. Some are here the first weekend, but Special Shapes Day is Thursday, and they're out in force for the Thursday and (second) Friday lift offs. Plus they're showcased at the Thursday night balloon glow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque