Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 AM

10 posts, read 35,525 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I've been reading CD off and on now for a year but finally have a question for you ABQ folks.

Chick-fil-A is looking to build a new free-standing unit in the Paseo del Norte area. Is this a good location, in your opinion? I am not sure exactly where along Paseo del Norte but I believe it would be to the east of I-25 where there is a lot of retail growth, if I understand correctly.

There is a CFA in the Cottonwood area right now but this will be further east. I know this because I own/operate a CFA in Texas and am considering putting in to run this one -- it seems like ABQ is a nice city, from what I've read on these forums.

So: Do you think this new CFA will do well in that location? What other growth have you seen there lately?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Yes, I believe it would be an excellent place to put a Chick-fil-A. It is right by La Cueva High School, so it would get a huge draw from kids right before games, after games, after school, etc. Secondly, there are really not that many places to eat close by to the Paseo/Wyoming area (around where I live). I know the new flying star is always crowded, so I am sure Chick-fil-A would be a hit. I know when I am on the westside, I will occasionally get some Chick-fil-A.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
I second that. The Chick-fil-A in Cottonwood is always very busy. The number of fast food joints at, say, Paseo & San Pedro, is large, but easy to differentiate in. Locating west of I-25 but east of the BNSF tracks, along Paseo, would be much more of a gold mine, IMO.

Chick-fil-A had been in Albuquerque as long as I can remember with their Coronado Mall store. Was sad to see it go with few alternatives to replace it.

As long as you manage it with competent employees (something that appears to have happened with the westside location and most other Chick-fil-A's I've been to) it ought to do well.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,663 times
Default Paseo

Generally, Paseo east of I-25 is not a traditional business corridor in one important way: Paseo is technically a limited access highway. With few exceptions, there is no direct access to any business on Paseo. From I-25 to Tramway (east edge of city) there are currently only two "traditional" fast-food establishments: Wendy's and a Whataburger. As is, one must access Wendy's from the street parallel to it. Likewise, there is not a single gas station or convenience store. Most of us that live in the area are used to it. To access any of the businesses you must turn at one of the major crosstreets and enter that way. Traffic issues have really become an issue. For example, the new Trader Joes at Paseo and Ventura has really created a bottlekneck.

There has been tremendous growth in the area, both residential and commercial. Furthermore, 87122 is the most affluent zip code in Abq. If you can, post the exact location of the proposed site, and I will be glad to take some pictures for you. I live in North Abq Acres, and know the area well.

Last edited by trappedinNM; 01-20-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I second that. The Chick-fil-A in Cottonwood is always very busy. The number of fast food joints at, say, Paseo & San Pedro, is large, but easy to differentiate in. Locating west of I-25 but east of the BNSF tracks, along Paseo, would be much more of a gold mine, IMO.

Chick-fil-A had been in Albuquerque as long as I can remember with their Coronado Mall store. Was sad to see it go with few alternatives to replace it.

As long as you manage it with competent employees (something that appears to have happened with the westside location and most other Chick-fil-A's I've been to) it ought to do well.
What fast-food joints at Paseo and San Pedro have I missed? The Wendy's is there on the north side. Further east, there is a Whataburger hidden away at Wyoming and Paseo. Chili's is at the same corner.

There is a Quiznos in a strip mall on the west side of Wyoming, but it is difficult to access. The manager once told me that the owner was not very happy with the location, but one needs to take those comments with caution.

There is the Red Brick and Subway across from the Target. The strip mall they are in is terribly crowded and inconvenient. Parking is horrible. The Subway is looking to move.

My comments are not meant to dissuade our friend, only to help him in his due dilegence process.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM

I would think that the best place to put it would be Paseo and Wyoming either by the Whataburger, or across the street in the Shops at Paseo Crossing. There really isn't much eateries in that area, and ironically, it is where the most well to do live. I would think it would be an aboslute gold mine if you kept it EAST of I-25 and West of Holbrook. Keep it in that area, and there will be money to be made.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 35,525 times
Wow,

Thanks for all the info! I will know more hopefully in the next few days as to where exactly it will be. I know they have been working on the site for a long time (early 06 from what I know). It's finally got a green light.

I hope to visit ABQ sometime soon with my wife to get a feel for the city -- if I am in the city for only say, six hours or so, what do you recommend I see in such a short period to get a feel for the city?

Thanks for all y'all's (Texas contraction) help!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Six hours is not a lot of time. Visit old town, then go to the Frontier Restaurant for lunch, then hang out in and around ABQ uptown, then take a drive north for a quick ride up the tram. Should be a very compacted 6 hours. Best of Luck with your Business Venture!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
It is on Paseo in betwee Louisiana and Wyoming. I'm pretty confident this location will do incredible business.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

741 posts, read 2,923,184 times
dengar22,

I work in this area and frequent many of the establishments found there. And I'll back up finmqa1 and say that a CFA in this section of town (particularly east of San Pedro) will be money in the bank.

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque