Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite month in Albuquerque?
January 0 0%
February 0 0%
March 0 0%
April 4 6.35%
May 7 11.11%
June 3 4.76%
July 2 3.17%
August 4 6.35%
September 16 25.40%
October 24 38.10%
November 2 3.17%
December 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:20 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

EnjoyEP reported:

> ... average high temps in Albuquerque during June ... range
> from 89 degrees to 104 degrees ... why I am guessing more
> people don't love June in ABQ. ... for many of the folks
> coming from northern climes, June in ABQ is H-O-T!!

I moved here from OH and although daytime highs in ABQ are hotter than in OH, (interestingly, record high temps are not generally higher), just because a day in ABQ is going to 95 degrees, doesn't mean that the morning and evening isn't going to be pleasant.

This is the difference in July - in OH - when the sun comes up on a muggy morning that is not comfortable and goes down on an evening that will still be hot, humid, and uncomfortable for many hours and won't ever reach the point where you will want to open your windows and shut off the a/c.

I slept under an open window all summer long with nothing but a celing fan last summer in ABQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 12:00 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,524 times
Ahhh, yes, when we visited last June/July, we were able to open the windows at our B&B in the evening. Plus, we had very pleasant breakfasts out on the patio. This was with 100+ degrees during the day. I thought it was pretty funny watching the weatherman each evening. He would say, "Tomorrow it's going to be really hot, but it'll be hotter in Phoenix!"

Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
This is the difference in July - in OH - when the sun comes up on a muggy morning that is not comfortable and goes down on an evening that will still be hot, humid, and uncomfortable for many hours and won't ever reach the point where you will want to open your windows and shut off the a/c.
As a former easterner, I have to say this is right on the money. Add to that list pretty much the whole mid-atlantic region, the southeast, etc....you get the picture. In a world without electricity, those areas would be unbearable in July/August. Albuquerqueans could just tough it out.

Anyway Mortimer, I gave you some overdue rep points for that one. I'm just wondering why my daggone rep points have been stuck at 88 for a month...

Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Yes indeed, I do agree with Mortimer and Tim about the evenings in the heart of the summer in kind of the mid-section of the US and the Southeast (humid, lack of a pleasant cool-off, etc.)...moreover, the even greater part - when you step into those more pleasant ABQ nightime evenings, you aren't attacked alive by mosquitoes or flying biting insects. That makes all the difference in the world!

I guess my point when I brought up the June weather is that while obviously it is far from the worst June weather in the US, for the poster who asked why more of us weren't voting for June, I guess I wouldn't say it is necessarily the IDEAL weather in Albuquerque, unless you just really like the strong, hot sun. For many, many people (including myself hailing from the upper Midwest and my folks - native Wisconsinites their whole lives), ABQ gets a tad bit scorching in the summer, at least before the monsoons. Not anywhere near the horrendous scorching that Phoenix or Tucson or Las Vegas do, and not anywhere near the unpleasant, humid crudola of the Southeast or East Texas area, etc., but still not as ideal as 78 degrees with a strong warm sun and a cool, crisp 54 degree evening...October.

It is funny, I have found people in general to either find ABQ's summers quite hot, or quite pleasant. I side on pleasant because I like a strong, hot sun, I like the arid/dry heat, and I like the cooldown factor at night with a lack of humidity and bugs, but for those used to routine daytime highs of 70 through 85 in the summer, when they hit some of those 98 degree'ers with no cloud in the sky in ABQ to them, it is like an ABQean hitting Phoenix's 117 burner in July!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Hmnn. I've only been here a month so far, and it's split between January & February. So I guess I'd have to say both months are my favorites so far. My first visit last year was mid-June and I loved it. But then, I was coming from Florida humidity, so dry heat is great. I'm looking forward to the baloon fiesta, and Christmas. But I'm sure I'll enjoy the months in between. EnjoyEP, if you make it back by May or June, I'll happily spring for the Tecate to celebrate!

Old 02-10-2008, 01:44 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,524 times
I'm not sure if I can even comprehend relaxing on a summer evening without having mosquitoes attack.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
EnjoyEP, if you make it back by May or June, I'll happily spring for the Tecate to celebrate!
You know what Yukon, I am going to definitely take you up on that one if I can! Tecates (w/ lime) under a hot NM sun = heaven on earth.

You are an excellent poster here yukon, keep 'em coming!!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 18,797 times
I love Albuquerque in November. We live in Minnesota (just moved from Hudson, WI) and have family in Albuquerque. We like to be there for Thanksgiving. Weather is wonderful there at that time - crisp and cool - not too hot. We have been there in June also - a lot hotter, but drier than Minnesota (we have miserable humid summers). I love Albuquerque. The only thing I have trouble with is the altitude. I do have problems breathing in high altitude cities.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
[temporary hijack]

How do you give rep points with a comment? Thanks!

[end temporary hijack]

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
[temporary hijack]

How do you give rep points with a comment? Thanks!

[end temporary hijack]
When you are looking at a thread (don't be in one yourself in terms of quoting / editing / replying, etc.), look at the top blue "bar" that runs on the top. You'll see a little white posting "number"...such as "#29"...then you'll see some other little pictures like the "!" inside of a triangle and also a little weighing scale. The weighing scale is what you want to click on...that'll bring up a box for you to give the rep points but also be able to add comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque