Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
So is this all over or just Rio ??
It can be any place in New Mexico.

There are several factors. It has been explained in the beginning of the thread,

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Here is a good explanation: Property Tax Primer, By Charlie Moore, Thursday, 29 January 2009: Here is a good explanation: Property Tax Primer, By Charlie Moore, Thursday, 29 January 2009. ABQNews: Property Tax Primer (http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/as-seen-in-the-journal/10312-property-tax-primer.html - broken link)

Rich

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Even with the pending legislation, there is still a looming injustice:

Say, for instance, they put a 3% cap on all future increases, but don't address the past lightning increases. That creates a situation where two identically priced homes might have vastly different property taxes, depending on when the property was last sold. Now, imagine you're a property owner trying to sell a $300K home, but with property taxes twice what your neighbor with the same home pays!

So what's the solution...roll back all lightning increases? Hardly feasible, esp. with the current economic malaise and budget deficit. They'll never do it.

Keep the lightning tax? A lot of other states currently do that, and many think that's the most fair. If you already live in a state, you're 'grand-fathered" in. Let the new folks pay taxes based on what they "bought in" for. They have the choice to move there or not.

How about keeping the lightning tax, but only for new construction? This might be the most fair, and a good way to balance growth with the huge number of infrastructure $$$ needed. In many states, developers pay impact fees. Levying lightning tax increases on new construction only would require new home buyers to share the enormous cost of building new roads, sewer & water, etc. with the developer, and provide adequate tax revenue to maintain the infrastructure as well. Of course, it' not technically a lightning tax increase since it's a new home, so esentially it would be a property tax based on the full value of the new home.

When we bought in Albuq, our tax went from about $1400 to $2500 in one year, which we then payed for another year and a half. Somehow I doubt we'll ever see that money again...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
How about keeping the lightning tax, but only for new construction?
It wouldn't be lightning tax would it? No tax to a first time tax?

Only one cup of coffee right now, I may change my mind later...

Rich

Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
One of the things we DON'T want to do is have a steadily rising tax that can
force limited income owners to sell because they can't afford the property tax.

Where we lived in Virginia, all residential property tax was based on an annual
value assessment conducted by the local government office who was being
funded by that very tax.. (how do you spell "conflict of interest"?). Long-term
residents (20-30 years) might have paid $50,000 for a house that was now valued
at $700,000 and their original tax bills of @ $400 a year had zoomed to almost $7,000.

That's absolutely devastating to a fixed-income retiree.. and BTW, those numbers
are NOT theoretical, they are quite real.

So whatever is done has to ensure that people are not forced to sell their homes
because of excessive taxes and that pretty much excludes altering the
tax basis on current homes.

Maybe we should look at "tax lightning" being a benefit of long-term residency
rather than a penalty imposed on new purchasers?

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Mike, I know two families who were pretty much driven out of their home state of Massachusetts because of rising property tax's over the years. The taxes became ridiculous.

I grew up in Florida and my mom still lives there. FL has what is called homestead exemption which I took for granted, your taxes are reduced after you have lived in a house a period of time (I really don't know the details), but my mom's taxes in FL are reasonable. There are many reasons people retire in Florida...

I lived/worked in the VA area for a few years. Expensive, yes, but there were good paying jobs, and some people loved it. It was OK for a while. And DC was the number one place to live in those best places to live articles. Sometimes it is truly difficult to evaluate actual costs of living, andwhat you are willing to pay for it.

Rich

Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Mike, I know two families who were pretty much driven out of their home state of Massachusetts because of rising property tax's over the years. The taxes became ridiculous.
Rich
We lived in Alexandria where I grew up until we retired. If we had stayed in the
same house we had purchased in 1987, we would be paying close to $6,000
MORE in tax than when we purchased it because the tax was based on current
assessed value without the percentage of increase cap that taxes here have.

As far as trade-offs go, Albuquerque will never have the range of cultural activities,
restaurants, shops, etc., etc., etc. that the DC area does, but we're so much
happier here that (at least for us) the trade-offs for what the Southwest has to
offer was a no-brainer.

Having grown up in NoVa, I'm pretty well positioned to see the enormous and
primarily negative impact that out-of-control growth has had on the region so
I just can't conceive of DC being rated one of the "best places to live". A very
good place for upscale professional growth, yes, absolutely, but so much has
been lost...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
I completely agree with you guys about the negative effect rising taxes can have on fixed-income retirees. I also like the emphasis on lower taxes as a benefit of long-term residency, vs. higher taxes as a penalty on first-time buyers - thanks for pointing that out Mike.

MD currently has a homesteader tax exemption - after 1 yr. of residency, you get a "rebate" on your taxes. We'll probably get about $700-800 back next year based on a tax bill of about $4200. Not huge, but every little bit helps.

p.s. Poncho, I had noticed the same thing about my post, eg. "lightning tax on a new home." Check the end of my 5th para...long-winded post, I know...

Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM

125 posts, read 477,853 times
I see, so just look at the sale price of the house and figure taxes from that dont just look at what the old owner paid, makes sense, what I would do anyway.

Good luck EnjoyEP.....keep us posted. It will warm up here sometime in August I think

Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman View Post
I see, so just look at the sale price of the house and figure taxes from that dont just look at what the old owner paid, makes sense, what I would do anyway.

Good luck EnjoyEP.....keep us posted. It will warm up here sometime in August I think
Yes because the previous owner may have had exemptions that you do not qualify for.

When we bought our first house in a different state, the previous owner had a homestead exemption and some sort of senior citizen exemption. We would be getting neither, since my husband, who was on the title, was not a resident of that state.

The only place I ever saw property tax information from the seller was on the MLS, which was based on what the seller told the seller's agent, which could be the seller's best guesstimate of what he/she paid the previous year. My realtor told us when we bought our first house to ignore that number because it was often a guess and to figure out the property tax ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque