Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:20 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,588 times

Advertisements

Los Poblanos Organics

I missed our old CSA in Northern VA. So, in January I started looking for something local and found a year round organic CSA! They even deliver!

Feel free to email me if you want to know more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM

266 posts, read 911,653 times
I saw that place today, but didn't have the opportunity to go inside. I'm a little confused. Is it a store? How does an organic co-op work? Also am interested in the prices.

We buy a lot of organic food, and our grocery bills at Whole Foods are outrageous! I was getting a small amount of groceries today at Whole Foods, and thought the bill seemed high. I looked on the cashier's screen and noticed my organic cauliflower was over $9! I had her take it off. Then when I got home, I noticed that the three organic leeks I had bought were also over $9! This is outrageous--almost $20 for for a head of cauliflower and three leeks? I want to support the organic industry, but it's very discouraging the prices we have to pay.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Trkstp Tina mourns:

> ... grocery bills at Whole Foods are outrageous!

They don't refer to it as "Whole Paycheck" for nothing.

> ... organic cauliflower was over $9! .... want to support the organic
> industry, but it's very discouraging the prices we have to pay.

Haven't you heard? There's a crackdown on illegal immigrants. That's the price we have to pay for legitimate help these days.

It's still cheaper than eating out.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
I saw that place today, but didn't have the opportunity to go inside. I'm a little confused. Is it a store? How does an organic co-op work? Also am interested in the prices.

We buy a lot of organic food, and our grocery bills at Whole Foods are outrageous! I was getting a small amount of groceries today at Whole Foods, and thought the bill seemed high. I looked on the cashier's screen and noticed my organic cauliflower was over $9! I had her take it off. Then when I got home, I noticed that the three organic leeks I had bought were also over $9! This is outrageous--almost $20 for for a head of cauliflower and three leeks? I want to support the organic industry, but it's very discouraging the prices we have to pay.
Wow on the Whole Foods experience! I went to Sunflower Market for the first time today and the prices were pretty good.

We pay $30.95 a week for delivery in Rio Rancho. We get enough for a family of 4 (but there are 5 of us) for a week. There are many pick up locations if you'd like to save the $. Please feel free to DM me if you want more info or some links. We're very happy with our experience so far.

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 08-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: per member's request

Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM

68 posts, read 455,715 times
If you google Los Poblanos Coop, you can look at their site - they tell you the prices and what the basket of the week includes.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 AM

Sadly, I have to take back my words...

Things have gone way downhill. The produce hasn't been so great and I've had 2 boxes infested with tiny black bugs. Yesterday, I decided to call it quits and asked to be refunded for the box and the rest of my prepaid boxes. They wanted to charge me a 5% refund fee, but when I questioned it I got a nasty-gram from them.

I find it pathetic that Los Poblanos Organics or any business would act in such a way.

I'll be staying away from them when I visit the farmer's market this year!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 AM

53 posts, read 162,847 times
Please explain what a "CSA" is. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
CSA - Community Supported Agriculture.

Tis' usually associated with organic stuff and frequently touted as "sustainable."

One of the reasons that the above-mentioned shipment supported its own colony of "tiny black bugs" is that truly organic produce should not have any association with pesticides which would prevent insect life.

The produce might have been insect-free to the naked eye at shipping time, but during shipment spawned a colony.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
What about Trader Joe's? I went in there this weekend for the first time and was surprised at how reasonable their pricing overall was - I expected it to be much higher. I didn't spend much time in the produce section but the 2 or 3 things I did get from that department were competitive (or less) than Smiths & Albertsons. Their half & half was $1.20 LESS than Smiths, and even $0.20 less than WalMart. Frozen veggie prices were in line with Smiths & Albertsons, and TJ had a much more interesting selection.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM

53 posts, read 162,847 times
Why don't you go directly to the farm? Or grow your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque