Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I've been shot once. It was fun and they paid and fed me.
Now you're just bragging.
What would have been cool is if you had been shot (virtually) while they were shooting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 PM

134 posts, read 189,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I don't think anyone's trying to recruit here. We don't need to. NM speaks for itself to those who are open to listening. I'd just as well have people stay away. That's selfish, I know... That said, NM is unique and whosoever would like to explore it as a possible home is welcome.
I believe I am open to listening to what New Mexico is saying... [CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-28-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Violent crime rate in ABQ 1985: 1,150
Violent crime rate in ABQ 2014: 883

Property crime rate in ABQ 1985: 8,137
Property crime rate in ABQ 2014: 5,446

Why Americans Are Afraid of Historically Low Crime Levels -- Science of Us
LOl, point well made!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I've been to an amazing array of concerts throughout my life in NM., in Las Cruces and El Paso...
Woop! Good to hear

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-28-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
If these are the kinds of groups that interest you, Alison, you'll likely be more content in Albuquerque than if you were someone whose tastes run to higher-profile, more mainstream arena-band groups. I have a small child and don't get out to shows very often anymore, but have been happily consuming music in this vein in NM for the last twenty-five years or so. We are on the tour circuit for a lot of these folks and their peers: Flag played at Sister on their last tour, a downtown ABQ spot that hosts a lot of other good stuff: oldschool punk/indie, classic hip-hop, new touring bands, etc. John Doe comes through Albuquerque or Santa Fe pretty regularly, and we also get Exene and the Blasters from time to time. I'm pretty sure X played either Santa Fe or Taos on their last reunion tour. I haven't seen him here, but I'm pretty sure Mike Watt's been through town in the last couple years too. We're also on the tour circuit for most things rockabilly and get most of those acts once or twice a year as well.

As I said on another music thread, we don't get as much music as less isolated cities but when cool things do come through, you'll usually be impressed by the relatively intimate venues where big acts play and how easy it is to get tickets.
Thanks Cactus! Nice to see those names listed My husband was most encouraged by your post too

Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsEhrmantraut View Post
I'd really give moving to Abq a lot of thought. The crime rate is at a four year high, and the state is in an economic slump. Mayor Berry and the governor are do-nothings. Two friends of mine recently moved out of Abq to other states. The daily shootings in their neighborhoods and economic stagnation got to them. I visit yearly, due to TV filming schedule. I enjoy visiting, love the landscape, people I've met, the food, the museums. I'd thought about relocating but I would give up too much of the conveniences and variety of just about everything I have here in SoCal. Please, do your research, especially on the crime rate per capita statistics. Best wishes to you!
Fair points. If we move we'll be working remotely so hopefully income wont be dependent on the local job market there.

Other than that, well, we live in Atlanta right now which has slightly worse crime stats than ABQ. I do feel a tad unsafe here, and maybe I will in ABQ too, but since we've survived here so far, even a modest improvement in crime levels will be welcome.

Thinking about moving to ABQ from SoCal is not the same as moving from Georgia, my friend. Not that ABQ's appeal doesn't stand alone, but when viewed from Atlanta, you might be surprised at how much more amplified that appeal appears than the view from SoCal. You already have the positives of dry weather, western culture, western landscapes, living in a blue state etc: all of that is lacking here in Georgia.

Again, to be clear: not that SoCal is perfect, and not that ABQ doesn't have an appeal in its own right.

Last edited by alisonrs; 07-28-2016 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I think there are now multiple daily shootings in Albuquerque. Maybe on holidays there's no shootings, but film crews keep their own schedules.

Breaking Bad was shot for months here, and that's our most famous export.

Better Call Saul's third season gets shot daily in a few more weeks.

So many TV series and movies are shot here. We're the Millers, the Lone Ranger, The Avengers, Paul, The Book of Eli, all shot in Albuquerque.

Lots of casting calls so if you want to get shot, there's a good chance they'll shoot you, if only for a background role.

I've been shot once. It was fun and they paid and fed me.
Ha!

Don't they call it Tamalewood?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
Agreed, but help me out here as I'm not sure what else to do in the face of folks routinely posting about happenings in the worst parts of town as if they are representative of life in all of Albuquerque. If you were scouting for new locations to expand a business with high-paying professional jobs, wouldn't these misleading postings give you pause about creating good new jobs in Albuquerque?

So how to deal with that on here to give a more accurate picture? If you just post saying crime is really not that bad here, detractors will say you are in denial because just look at this latest news story. So how to communicate without sounding elitist that scary stuff that might happen in remote parts of South or SE ABQ have no relevance to the life of an Albuquerque professional worker living in an ordinary neighborhood where such workers typically live?

When I write about Albuquerque being quite safe for "educated professionals," I'm not trying to sound better than anyone, show off, or be a snob. I'm trying to communicate that Albuquerque is economically viable.
I didn't read your posts as elitist: I took them as I think you intentioned them: you are referencing a divide that is a reality in every city.

Like many others I DO want to know that there are neighborhoods where I can reside without fearing unreasonably for my safety. That doesn't mean that I don't care what happens to people in neighborhoods where crime is higher, but the reality is that we all gravitate to the best part of town we can afford.

We are FAR from a stereotypical middle class couple, neither or us have 'professional' degrees, no atomic scientists here, but we are college educated and are able to pull down a decent wage that, in ABQ, should afford us (possibly low level, lol) entry into the types of areas that I think you are alluding to: NE Heights etc.

And I plan on us living in one of those areas because I acknowledge that there are significant socio-economic disparities between neighborhoods in ABQ and that crime is on the high side, especially compared to the crime rate for NM as a whole.

So, I appreciate your insights.

I'm not scared off by the people who cite the crime rate in ABQ, because the crime stats for Atlanta are worse. If we've managed here, we can manage there. Atlanta is so culturally depressing that, frankly, the crime rate is an afterthought most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque