Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:49 AM

136 posts, read 141,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioGrandeFeline View Post
Is it just me or do a lot of newer houses in ABQ play up on the "plain on the outside, gem on the inside" motif? I've been to numerous friends' homes in the ABQ area that looked sometimes downright ugly from outside and then when you get in, you see hardwood floors, great furniture and decorating layout.
ABQ has always been low-key about the exterior of homes. The idea of showing off one's wealth is not really welcome here. I have been told architecturally that the idea is to blend into the landscape.

It is the same reason someone would drive a subdued luxury sedan instead of a flashy sports car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 AM

136 posts, read 141,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I don't think it's just you.

An "under-siege" mentality that grips much of America is boosted by Albuquerque's current summer crime wave. Just like a millionaire might drive an old beater of a car so it doesn't get stolen, he might make his house look a little shabby to hide the opulence within.

The outside of the house is also less a point of pride in NM than just about anywhere. Going outdoors may be popular, but outdoors in your own front yard is uncommon- with everybody inwardly focused (on the house and on themselves) there's no reason to dude up your dwelling on the outside, with the exception of Halloween and Christmas.

With just about every new house built in 1960's-or-newer carcentric subdivisions, no one has time to look at your house as they're driving by, so adornment is a waste of time and money. If people were constantly walking by, it'd be different.

As a last point, NM's culture has always been rustic/shabby chic in terms of buildings. Cracked stucco and one overgrown but still threadbare tree is just what NM tends to look like.
Sadly you are right about the crime thing. Property crime is stupidly high in ABQ so you really don't want to advertise your wealth.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:37 AM

329 posts, read 512,190 times
Seems like all the new homes that are being built by a decent builder in Volterra are townhomes.

Mesa Del Sol seems like it may be one area to look at. My wife and I haven't driven down there yet but does seem so isolated. I'm guessing this is because it's newer and shopping hasn't been developed yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque