Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 10:22 PM

26 posts, read 25,360 times

Advertisements

After wanting to move to Santa Fe for a long time, I realize it’s too expensive. Now that I’m retired and able to move from Phoenix, I still want to move to New Mexico. Albuquerque or surrounds seems like it might work, but I just don’t know where. I’m hoping you’ll be able to help me figure it out. I’ll tell you a bit about myself, so you’ll have a reference point.

I’m divorced with two grown sons who live far away. I have two dogs. I walk five or six miles a day. I love great restaurants, art galleries, and want to participate in Meetup groups for activities and a way to meet friends. I want to live near some flat trails, if such exist, so I can get up and go. I don’t like big soulless housing tracts with cookie cutter houses. I don’t like HOAs with big fees. I’m retired so I don’t want to be in the midst of families with lots of kids etc. I like a little bit rural as opposed to a crowded area, but I want to be able to get to those things easily. I will probably want to go to Santa Fe often, so a northern area would be good.

I’m looking for a small single family home around 1400sf. Now here’s the clincher: I want to stay at around $250,000. Any ideas? I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 12:35 AM

201 posts, read 292,052 times
Depending on your desired commute time, you could check out the East Mountains of Tijeras, Cedar Crest, and Sandia Park. It's more rural, but with a large populace of educated people who work in town. The area is very safe and laid back, but obviously doesn't have big city amenities. That said, we're about 10-15 min from Albuquerque, and 45 Santa Fe.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:58 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,787,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSass View Post
After wanting to move to Santa Fe for a long time, I realize it’s too expensive.
You might consider the surrounding small towns that are immediately adjacent to Santa Fe. I know a couple people who live in those areas because they're more affordable. Take a look at Los Cerrillos, Lamy. Also take a look at the town of Pecos.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,342 times
There are a few options in the north valley, stick close to the river (west of Rio Grande Blvd, east side of river) and you can walk to the bosque paths which are mostly flat and paved.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:56 PM

16,102 posts, read 10,771,225 times
People are seemingly happy to live in or around Albuquerque and get their occasional Santa Fe "fix" on weekends once or twice a month. I spent about what you are talking about for a home on 1+ acre in northern Rio Rancho (just north of Corrales). It seems like the bunched-up, dense housing on the west side of the river is near the bridges. If you look between the bridges it thins out a little. Since you are retired you don't need the hassle of commute bridge traffic anyway. I catch the Railrunner at the Bernalillo/550 stop and can be in Santa Fe in an hour, sometimes free. Santa Fe has a free shuttle bus that takes you where you want to go. That's cheaper than driving and parking.
East Mountains is nice but a colder climate than Albuquerque. It seems more wooded and not a desert...if that appeals to you. I don't consider that an easy commute and it would probably keep me from coming into the city as often as I'd like.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM

Are there flat trails in Rio Rancho? I’m interested in this area. I don’t want to be too remote, especially as I get older, so I think the East Mountain communities are out.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,787,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
East Mountains is nice but a colder climate than Albuquerque. It seems more wooded
Old growth forests. Some of the trees are 2500+ years old.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSass View Post
Are there flat trails in Rio Rancho? I’m interested in this area. I don’t want to be too remote, especially as I get older, so I think the East Mountain communities are out.
Yes.

Willow Creek Bosque, Rio Rancho, New Mexico, is one example.
Photos by R. Sanchez, October 31, 2016.

Click on for 47 photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/poncho...57672499589994

This is a 3 minute walk from my house:

IMG_0582 0582_0577_0578_0579_0580_ed2_480 by Ricardo, on Flickr

There are a lot of trails and parks in the Albuquerque area also: https://www.cabq.gov/parksandrecreation

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-05-2018 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 PM

Beautiful, Poncho!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:07 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,291,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
There are a few options in the north valley, stick close to the river (west of Rio Grande Blvd, east side of river) and you can walk to the bosque paths which are mostly flat and paved.
This is the area I live in and I second this recommendation. The North Valley is anything but cookie-cutter, with mansions on acreage not far from a townhouse development, a lumpy old adobe or a trailer park. Come with an open mind and a toolbox and you could find something wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque