Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 PM

57 posts, read 217,184 times

Advertisements

I am moving this to its own thread, since I sense that it might get lost in its original location. The discussion veered (as it often does) to "moving where the schools are good". Are test scores/school rankings enough for a parent to make a decision -- especially when you're doing most of the research long-distance? Definitely not. One of the more intangible qualities to research long-distance is the school's sense of "community". Questions like:

Are the parents involved in their children's education and extracurriculars?

Does the school have a problem with bullying (either physical or psychological)?

Is there a mix of ethnic and socioeconomic groups, or is there a clear "majority" such that a "minority" might feel alienated?

What are the attitudes towards kids with special needs?

In my case, I've narrowed the field to Jefferson, Madison, Hoover and Eisenhower. If anyone can speak to any of these "intangibles" with regard to any of these schools, I'd appreciate it! I am not concerned with HS yet, since we'll rent first -- we can move to a different HS cluster when it's time to buy!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
You make very good points. I can't help you with ABQ schools. But I can tell you of our experience in trying to help select a school cluster for our grandchildren.

We came out here early and found that talking to people was not that useful -- it was like the story of the blind men and the elephant -- four different people would describe the same school in four different ways.

We found that visiting was very helpful. Most helpful was standing in hall as classes changed; and speaking to kids and teachers. In some schools, the kids looked like they were on a chain gang. In others they were happy, polite and eager to talk with an older couple.

Our favorite was a MS in Santa Fe. It didn't have a great reputation -- but it had the kid's art work on the walls; happy enthusiastic kids; and happy enthusiastic teachers.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,443 times
Unfortunately, I can't answer any questions about the specific schools you mentioned. However, one option for getting the inside scoop is to go to the school websites and get info on the school's PTSA (or PTO). Contact the PTA and find out from them what their feelings are on the school. You can get info on the statistics of the school from the APS website, as well as info on policies towards bullying, etc. Having been an involved parent at my children's school, I met many parents from around the state thru PTA Legislative Day at the Roundhouse and from the state PTA convention. They will give you a good idea about what works and also what doesn't work at the school. Good luck with the search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque