Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,812,254 times

Advertisements

I want to see locals being the first and foremost who are given the chance to take advantage of opportunities that may be coming down the pipeline. More ideally would be for locals to be creating the pipelines themselves. This is what we need to be aiming for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 12:05 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,481,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about recreational opportunities, I'm talking about economic opportunities.
I understood you but I wanted to point out some of the other opportunities that I value that are a part of why I live here and not somewhere else. Most people are looking for more than just a job when they move someplace. I don't live to work, I work to live. Obviously if there were no economic opportunities for me I wouldn't be here, but I left a perfectly good and steady job on the East Coast to take a chance on a job opportunity here and I'm glad I did, it was the best move I could have made, and I've had three different jobs since moving here. There was a time when I thought I wanted to move to San Diego but I never found an "opportunity" there better than what I had here, so I stayed and now am retired here. I have done more than my share of volunteering and giving back to the community.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I want to see locals being the first and foremost who are given the chance to take advantage of opportunities that may be coming down the pipeline. More ideally would be for locals to be creating the pipelines themselves. This is what we need to be aiming for.
How do you define "locals"? People born here? People who've lived here a long time? I think I am more "local" than you. Since you left I don't consider you a "local."

Old 08-03-2019, 12:26 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,639,707 times
Quote:
You have no idea what's going on in Albuquerque, as evidenced by most of your posts in this forum. You are unaware of basic facts of this city right now and when presented with them you try to change the context or dismiss them away. You even try to question the veracity of certain facts or cast doubt by asking for citations and sources, when those citations and sources have already been given.

Albuquerque's tech startups and small businesses are growing and landing large contracts, receiving venture funding, etc. That is what is driving a large percentage of our growth right now.

Locals do benefit from Albuquerque's economic growth and progress. Albuquerque's working-age population and population from domestic migration is not growing as fast as the number of jobs are growing. That means most jobs are being filled by people that live here already.

A growing economy is going to benefit everybody who lives here in Albuquerque, regardless.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How do you define "locals"? People born here? People who've lived here a long time? I think I am more "local" than you. Since you left I don't consider you a "local."
Absolutely you are!

I don't resent newcomers or people who weren't born here. I do resent people who give up on this place and move away and have the audacity to think they know better than people who actually live here as to what's actually going on here in Albuquerque in August 2019.

Anybody who loves Albuquerque and is actually here working to make it better is more valuable to this city than someone who likes to take jabs and cast aspersions from afar, regardless of whether they grew up here.

I was born in Albuquerque in 1981. I grew up in San Jose in South Broadway and have lived in the urban neighborhoods of this city all my life. I live in Downtown Albuquerque now. I pay attention and seek out knowledge of the goings on in this city, especially with regard to urban development and urban living. I've tracked all of this stuff since I was in middle school.

Nobody is gonna convince me that the sky is green in Albuquerque when I know that it is blue, especially not someone from far away.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:54 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,812,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How do you define "locals"?
If new jobs are created in NM, I don't want people from other states moving in to take those jobs. In other words, if a big Tech company builds a facility in NM, I don't want them bringing in outside people to staff it. They need to staff it with people already living in NM.
I think you should be on board with that, because otherwise what'll happen is: the more that outside talent is injected, the things that make NM unique (history, culture) start to fade away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I who actually live here as to what's actually going on here in Albuquerque in August 2019.
My entire immediate family lives in Albq. I've got teenage and older nephews who are not seeing any sort of benefit of any kind from "supposed" economic improvements.
Quote:
I was born in Albuquerque in 1981. I grew up in San Jose in South Broadway
So you're from Sanjo or are you just saying that because I posted something a few days ago referencing San Jose in a different thread? I ask because I cannot name a single individual who grew up in Martineztown, San Jose, Pajarito, Los Padillas, Five Points, on the Rez, etc etc who would refuse to admit that NM has a crap ton of problems. Nobody from those places sugar coats it.
I don't know if tech is the way to go. It won't hurt, but at the same time there's a big difference between a startup and a business that sustains itself. Startups are pipe dreams funded by gamblers and are not the right way to guage economic health. I'm not disparaging the idea of bringing tech into Albq. NM is a great place for tech. But "startups" is probably not the right thing to focus on.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:08 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,977 times
The I-15 freeway expanded with federal funding just prior to the Olympics. Funding also for light rail came because of the Olympics.

I lived and worked in the Salt Lake Valley from 1990 up until last October. We have seen significant change there not all good

Air quality is horrific esp in winter but all year round. Housing prices have risen stratospherically and incomes have not.

I loved the outdoors but I did not love the stick your head in the sand politics.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:11 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,467,977 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to why NM never has been capable of generating enough business and/or attracting enough business interest from other places so as to noticeably improve the economy.
Needs an Olympics to scam taxpayers to upgrade.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
If new jobs are created in NM, I don't want people from other states moving in to take those jobs. In other words, if a big Tech company builds a facility in NM, I don't want them bringing in outside people to staff it. They need to staff it with people already living in NM.
I think you should be on board with that, because otherwise what'll happen is: the more that outside talent is injected, the things that make NM unique (history, culture) start to fade away.

My entire immediate family lives in Albq. I've got teenage and older nephews who are not seeing any sort of benefit of any kind from "supposed" economic improvements.
So you're from Sanjo or are you just saying that because I posted something a few days ago referencing San Jose in a different thread? I ask because I cannot name a single individual who grew up in Martineztown, San Jose, Pajarito, Los Padillas, Five Points, on the Rez, etc etc who would refuse to admit that NM has a crap ton of problems. Nobody from those places sugar coats it.
I don't know if tech is the way to go. It won't hurt, but at the same time there's a big difference between a startup and a business that sustains itself. Startups are pipe dreams funded by gamblers and are not the right way to guage economic health. I'm not disparaging the idea of bringing tech into Albq. NM is a great place for tech. But "startups" is probably not the right thing to focus on.
I grew up and lived in San Jose until December 2001 when I moved to Barelas. I moved to the Southeast Heights for awhile until my apartment building was completed last July here in Downtown Albuquerque when I moved back down to the valley.

I've wrtten my life experiences growing up in South Broadway and living in Barelas in countless posts in this forum in the ten years I've been a member here.

You aren't anything special to where I'd have to make up a life story to win an argument against. I mean, who the hell are you??? I don't have to prove anything to you. I don't know what you've wrote outside of this and a few other threads I've posted in recently.

San Jose is much better than when I lived there. Tons of new businesses line Broadway Boulevard. Hip things like taprooms are moving in and helping change the neighborhood for the better. Nexus Blue recently opened in the old Navajo Elk's Lodge. The man who owns Nexus Brewery wanted to help improve and contribute to the neighborhood he grew up in.

Barelas was beginning its resurgence when I moved there in 2001. It's a cool neighborhood that is gentrifying but still keeping to its roots. Box Road antiques store just opened today in the old Arrow Supermarket building. The Zocalo Lofts will be opening soon at 4th and Coal and will have a neighborhood business incubator and market on its ground-floor. Homewise just finished its renovation of the old Orpheum Theater as its headquarters and a community hub. Homewise is an organization that helps low-income families buy homes.

Wells Park is the epicenter of the city's blossoming microbrewery scene and ground-zero for the emerging craft distillery scene as well. These are bringing people into the center of the city like never before.

All the old Hispanic neighborhoods around Downtown Albuquerque are better now than they were in the 80s and 90s when I was growing up.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
If new jobs are created in NM, I don't want people from other states moving in to take those jobs.
You are a hypocrite. You took a job in another state. Why is it OK for you to do that but not want out-of-staters taking jobs in NM? In my 3 decades here I've worked with all kinds of people from everywhere, many foreign countries, many different states, and many NM natives (Hispano, Anglo, Native American). People from many different backgrounds and ethnicities make up Albuquerque, live in relative harmony, and more are arriving all the time. This is nothing new, outsiders have been relocating to NM since don Juan de Oñate arrived. A lot of the new arrivals care about preserving New Mexican culture and want to see it thrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque