Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better to live in?
New Mexico 11 84.62%
California 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 AM

32 posts, read 184,613 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move out of California to ABQ. From pictures I have seen and comments posted about the city, I am very impressed. I am just getting out of a two year relationship and am ready for a change from over crowded and smoggy California. I just have a couple questions to ask before I visit there myself. Is their alot of outdoor stuff to do their (i.e. Hiking, biking, skiing, swimming). Is their a descent single scene in ABQ? How is the traffic and is their good public transportation within ABQ? (Moving from LA to get away from to much traffic). If anyone can answer these questions I would be extremely thankful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:13 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Well, a few things here, ABQBound84, then I will get around to answering some of your questions:

1. As much as I would be highly biased towards New Mexico being "better" (depending upon how one defines that) than Cali, however, admittedly, you posted this poll on a NM forum. Thus, I would take your (predicted) 18-1 final "vote" for NM kind of with a grain of salt. Obviously most folks here are going to be fairly biased towards the NM side of things.

2. I do kind of shudder when I see a poll like this on the CD forums - two reasons:

a) "Better" is so subjective and can be defined in so many ways by so many people. EXAMPLES (I am not throwing these out there for you to respond to literally, but more just for food for thought on the question): If by "better" you mean closer to water (lakes, oceans, etc.) than Cali is certainly far better than dry, landlocked New Mexico. If better means limitless options for: restaurant, entertainment, tourist-type, major league sports (NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, etc.) than California is better to live in. If you are looking for less population / more room, then New Mexico is better. If you are looking for affordable housing/taxes, then New Mexico is better. Etc., etc., etc. It just depends on what one means by "better" - the items important to you.

To *me*, New Mexico is far better. However, I would imagine to Arnold Schwarzenegger, Cali would be a better fit. Etc.

b) New Mexico and California are HUGE and incredibly diverse states!! (And by diverse, I don't mean in terms of ethnicity; I am speaking geographical diversity).

For example, San Diego is nothing like San Fran which is nothing like Riverside which is nothing like Oakland which is nothing like Orange County.

Thus, it is hard to evaluate "living in California", because living in California can mean so many different things depending upon *where* in Cali you are living.

Similarly, living in Taos is NOTHING like living in Las Cruces which is NOTHING like living in Hobbs which is NOTHING like living in Chama which is NOTHING like living in Portales, which is NOTHING like living in Albuquerque which is NOTHING like living in Floyd.

So, I think in "comparative" type of posts like this, it is much more helpful to compare cities or at least metro regions, rather than two states.

Having said that, with my rudimentary "detective" work , I see that for your "current location" I see you are in Sacramento.

*So I will base my response below here to you more on the basis of ABQ v. Sacramento rather than NM v. CA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQBound84 View Post
Is their alot of outdoor stuff to do their (i.e. Hiking, biking, skiing, swimming).
BIG YES: Hiking, biking, skiing (in addition to running, walking, golf, etc.).

BIG NO: For the most part swimming.

Albuquerque is a desert city. It is on the northern tip of the Chihuahuan Desert. It is a landlocked arid city in a landlocked arid state. The only swimming as a general rule you'll be doing in Albuquerque is in a pool, and surely there are plenty of those to be found in the Duke City.

If water is important to you for recreation (outside of the chlorinated version), Albuquerque or New Mexico in general isn't ideal or even close.

But in terms of everything else, yes, yes, yes! ABQ averages 300+ days of sunshine per year, relatively moderate year-round temperatures (actually semi-comparable temps wise to Sacramento...probably a hare cooler in the winter and a hare warmer in the summer), low humidities, only 8.5 inches of rainfall annually, etc. With the closeby proximity of the Sandia Mountains (on the eastern ridge of the city - only a 10 to 25 minute drive from most locales in the city), the ideal outdoor conditions year-round, and the Rio Grande snaking through the middle of town, the hilly Petroglyphs on the western edges of the town, ABQ is an outdoor recreationist's "dream city".

Skiing sometimes isn't golden in ABQ's Sandia Mountains as they are a hare too low and a hare too warm to be Colorado-esque ideal many winters, however, Santa Fe has very nice skiing (only 60 miles away) and Taos has excellent skiing (only 120 miles away). When things get a little toasty in ABQ in the summertime, SF and Taos (and other similar high altitude cities) make for great, quick road trips to do related outdoor activities: hiking, running, biking, etc.

Outside of water stuff, I am hard pressed to think of many other cities that could rival ABQ in its ability for hiking, biking, etc., in such ideal geographic and climatic conditions.

Quote:
Is their a descent single scene in ABQ?
It is improving as ABQ's rapid growth and attraction of new professional jobs continues, but my perception is still that the single scene in ABQ isn't quite as up to snuff with bigger cities like Sacto as the ABQ singles would like it to be.

I think as a single in ABQ you'd have to *look* a little harder and it wouldn't have the mass quantity of choices and variations as you'd have in other bigger cities. But having said that, you find a lot of very educated, quality folks living in ABQ (instead of the stereotypical Cali airhead - which I fully realize is a stereotype), so I think you'd have some decent quality in the dating scene if not as great a quantity.

Quote:
How is the traffic and is their good public transportation within ABQ? (Moving from LA to get away from to much traffic).
See, now I am not sure if you are coming from Sacramento or LA? Well, either way, I guess my answers would still hold the same (except that ABQ's weather is loosely more comparable to Sacramento - especially temps-wise - than LA's coastal climate).

Traffic wise, obviously, compared to LA, ABQ's traffic is a joke. LA is a metro of what, 14-million? ABQ is a small little town in comparison (even though it isn't) at a metro of 850,000. ABQ's rush hour can get congested in some places - especially trying to cross the Rio Grande going west-bound in the late afternoon/early evening, but you'll rarely be stuck in traffic going anywhere from anywhere more than 30, 40 minutes. And if it isn't rush hour, traffic in ABQ is always an incredible breeze. Compared to an LA or even a Sacramento, you'd find ABQ's traffic absolutely nothing.

Public transportation has been talked about much here. I think Yukon, a poster here who has lived in many big cities, summed it up well here:

Relocating to ABQ from LA

Good luck to you!!

Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM

32 posts, read 184,613 times
Thanks for your help. You gave some very helpful answers. I am actually currently in LA, although my job has brought me all over this overpopulated state....again, thank you for the answers.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
These polls are funny, of course New Mexico is going to win when you post it here. Post it over in California and California probably wins.

If you want a more partial view post this in the Idaho forum as an example for more neutral results.

For the record I've never lived in New Mexico, but from what I have read and seen it seems like it's a great state. I enjoy reading the New Mexico section, a lot of good people here.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,441 times
Actually, if you posted this anywhere but the NM forum, Cali would win. Most people associate CA with vacations, shopping, and all the other fun. And many would probably not even know NM is a state. I love CA and my wife is from San Francisco. She's been here just 7 years, but she loves owning a home with a big yard, and me of course! Anyhow, I think posting a poll like this is tough when you compare a state that is world-renowned vs. a state like NM that has always flown under the radar. In fact if you want an honest opinion post it internationally as they are much better at geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque