Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:54 AM

473 posts, read 1,245,659 times

Advertisements

Ok,

You buy a scratch off lottery ticket and you won a new house. Brand spanking new mansion.. can't pass it up. The catch is they will build it for you in only one of these three neighborhoods...

Taylor Ranch
Ventana Ranch
Ladera Heights

Which neighborhood would you put it in and why?

(The reason I have you winning the house is so you'll take the houses out of the equation.. I just want to know which neighborhood you like best)

Adios.

jrod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
jrod2828 wonders:

Warning: Smart@ss comments follow.
------------------------------------
> You buy a scratch off lottery ticket and you won a new house. ...

For charity, right? I wouldn't buy a lottery ticket otherwise.

> Brand spanking new mansion.. can't pass it up.

Just like if I won a brand spanking new car, I'd sell it and invest the money.

People that buy McMansions - thinking about all the places that they can stash their 'stuff' forget that all that space is climate controlled. Lots o' people probably pay more in heating and air conditioning than I do in property taxes.

> Taylor Ranch
> Ventana Ranch
> Ladera Heights
>
> Which neighborhood would you put it in and why?

This is going to be tough. Most Eastside residents think of these places as being the same (way out yonder West-side).

Since there are some Westside posters here, they might have some perspective, but most of them are pretty new to the area.

If I was doing the buying, I would also check the builders and then check what kind of rate of complaints there were for their products.

I'd also consider where I was going to be working in Albuquerque. You're going to have to cross a bridge.

I had to look this up:
--------------------
> Taylor Ranch -- Taylor Ranch Neighborhood Association (TRNA) - Albuquerque, New Mexico
> ..................-- N of Monaño and W of Coors
> There is a Taylor Ranch Road intersecting Montaño
> - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - .
> Ventana Ranch -- N of Paseo and W of Unser
> - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - . - .
> Ladera Heights -- N of I-40 around 98th Street
> There is a Ladera Road that roughly parallels I-40 then head's N to intersect Coors.
--------------------
The city of Albuquerque has a website with "Neighborhood Associations & District Coalitions"
Neighborhood Associations - Office of Neighborhood Coordination - Planning Department - City of Albuquerque (http://www.cabq.gov/planning/nbrcoord/neighassociations.html - broken link)

I tried making a decision, and can't seem to make up my mind - simply because none of those appeal to me.

<Click!> jrod2828 pulls the hammer back on his pistol pointed at my head. "Make a decision!" he says.

OK OK, I'd pick Ventana Ranch since it is closest to the older business section of Rio Rancho and has the easiest access to Paseo, CNM, stuff like that.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Alright...Alright.. I knew I'd get a response like that.

I'll keep it simple, which neighborhood do you like best and why?

I'm already doing home searches so I know the difference in price of homes, age of homes, etc.

I'm trying to get a locals perspective on the neighborhood.. stuff like crime, access to things you like, people in those areas, traffic, etc.

So no need to ask are you renting or buying or which way is the sun setting or do you have blue eyes or brown.. just looking for which neighborhood is more appealing to ABQans and why?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Mortimer.. you got lucky.. just in the knick of time

So you chose Ventana Ranch partly b/c of Paseo access? So I have to ask you why not Taylor Ranch for Montano Rd. access? Or Ladera for I-40 access?

I know you mentioned vicinity to the old business district in Rio Rancho but is Paseo a better road to hop across the river at rush hour than say Montano or 40?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
Paseo is much much easier to manage than Mantano and especially I-40. Plus areas around Paseo tend to be nicer (but not always).

Old 06-16-2008, 07:04 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,732 times
No contest - Taylor Ranch.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
No contest - Taylor Ranch.
Absolutely! There's little comparison between Taylor Ranch and "way-out" Ventana Ranch and absolutely none between Taylor Ranch and anywhere in Ladera which is fast becoming a part of southwest Albuquerque.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Clear cut winner: Taylor Ranch. Good location, family friendly, etc. Can't think of anything significantly "wrong" with TR.

#2: Ladera Heights: Probably more "middle class" than the other two (although still the other two are fairly middle class too)...but I really like the backdrop to the Petroglyphs, the high views across of the Sandias, and the closeby access to I-40. Plus, best "bang for the buck" housing wise of these three.

#3: Ventana Ranch (more due to it being farther out...it is very nice though)

Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 AM

5 posts, read 16,793 times
Well As a born and raised resident of ABQ, I should add that I grew up from 1st grade-College in the Taylor Ranch, and near Ladera Heights neighborhoods.

It's classic Westside development, with good schools.

I grew up near Unser and Dellyne which was in a great pocket of Taylor Ranch, 5 Minutes away from Montano. Alot of the subdivisions were built in the mid80's, but their has been alot of newer infill with great parks. Can't stress parks enough, it's a very family friendly place. Low crime.
Right next to the Mesa's, and close to Mariposa park (A huge park, with fcilites for all types of activities) About 5-10 minutes south of Ventana Ranch which is on top of the Mesa.......

Ventana Ranch is on the Mesa, and is just beautful, I used to Four Wheel years back when there wasn't anything up there. Now there are communites all along Unviverse between Taylor Ranch, and Ventana Ranch. Booming area, with not alot of retail, but new schools in the area. In fact there's a brand new HS that was just built. It's probably the newer of the communities listed here. The only knock is it doesn't have good arterial roads to get you to ABQ, and traffic kinda sucks on Universe and surrounding Blvds.

Last but not least is Ladera Heights. This area has a large concentration of retial just minutes away near Coors and I-40. In between Ouray and I-40 there is a moderate concentration of Houses that are about 10-15 years old. Theres a public golf course right odown the street. I lived in agreat subdivision off Unser and Ouray near the Petroglyphs that has stunning views. The Mesa, was literally down my street, and enjoyed so many outdoor activities. It was the nicest, upkept, and safest neighborhood I've ever lived, or been to in the areas listed above. I used to commute to the East side, and Traffic is alot easier now that the state has invested hundred's of millions into the Freeway (I-40 & Coors interchange), and surrounding area streets. P.S. this area is going to get alot more retail here in the next 2-3 years, ALOT! Definitley a booming area that is Just north of I-40, East of Unser.

My two centavos on the subject.

Good luck on your choice.

P.S.
I went to H.S. across I-40South of Ladera Hts., at West Mesa. It's not one of the better HS's in ABQ, but not a bad one. The areas are not comparable to the ones listed above, and have alot more minorities, especially mexican american decent. Hispanic dominated area. Good area though, with some rough parts.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 AM

Great posts guys.

Philly, very detailed insight. I can't thank you enough. That is exactly what I wanted... personal experiences from someone that lived there. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque