Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 PM

20 posts, read 83,846 times

Advertisements

I'm a single man planning to move from Los Angeles to ABQ soon, and I've been reading messages here for a couple of weeks.

87105 gets mentioned a lot as a bad zip code, but some people have pointed out that it's a huge zip code that covers a lot of different areas.

There's an entry for a rental house on one of the big rental sites for a house in 87105. It sits on half an acre, has a wooded/shaded back yard, and is over 2000 square feet. So I'm wondering how it manages to be in my price range ($1000/month or less).

It's in the area enclosed by Bridge Blvd., Atrisco Dr., Central Ave., and the Rio Grande. Is that in the bad part of 87105, or the good part? What's the neighborhood like?

I'm going to come in to take a look at a few places (including this one) over the weekend, but I thought I'd get more useful answers from the experts here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 04:35 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
That can be a tough neighborhood. It's largely hispanic with a lot of old time farmers, but it has also had its share of gang troubles including shootings. Scenery is great, it's close to the Zoo, Bio Park, and 5 or 10 minutes from Downtown. Depending on what your retail needs are you may find yourself driving a good distance. It really could be one of the best parts of town but as it is now, I'd try to avoid it.

Just my two cents

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
I would advise you to perhaps look into a different area of town. Arenal and Isleta, Bridge and Such is a rough part of town (all around Rio Grande High School). It would definitely be towards the bottom of my totem poll.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 AM

Default How About...

Thanks for your warnings about 97105. Sigh. It was such a nice yard.

As for other houses I'm looking at... It seems from reading on the ABQ forum that you'd consider 87111 and 87114 "very good," 87120 "good," and 87121 "not so good." Am I characterizing the discussion-- and more importantly, the real situation --accurately?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Hi OutOfLosAngeles:

Welcome to the New Mexico City-Data Forum. It's great to have you here, and I hope you will get your questions answered.

ABQ is a great city; you will find the zip that is perfect for you!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
abqsunport warns:

> I would advise you to perhaps look into a different area of town.

finmqa1 also advised:

> I'd try to avoid it.

OutOfLosAngeles lamented:

> Thanks for your warnings about 97105. Sigh. It was such a nice yard.

I have no direct experience with that area. I haven't even walked it which is unusual for an area in Albuquerque.

However, looking at the aerial (satellite) view on a maps page, I am looking at a new development on the river taking up, maybe 20 acres and building maybe 70-80 new houses.

If I were you, I would look at the place and walk the neighborhood both in the morning and the evening on a Saturday and see how it feels. If you don't get much in the way of hostile looks, but you get lots of "hello's" and such, I might be inclined to live there.

Looking at the satellite, there are lots of yards with lots of crap laying all about in them, so you just don't know.

You have to look personally in this case.

You also have to weigh where you are going to be working.
I wouldn't commit to a place without first knowing that bit.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Default College Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
If I were you, I would look at the place and walk the neighborhood both in the morning and the evening on a Saturday and see how it feels. If you don't get much in the way of hostile looks, but you get lots of "hello's" and such, I might be inclined to live there.

Looking at the satellite, there are lots of yards with lots of crap laying all about in them, so you just don't know.

You have to look personally in this case.

You also have to weigh where you are going to be working.
I wouldn't commit to a place without first knowing that bit.
Thanks for the advice.

I should have mentioned two things: I work from home, and I'm going to be a part-time graduate student at UNM. The address in 87105 looks like an easy jaunt to Bridge, to University, to UNM (at least on the map; I have no idea about traffic).

The house in 87111 is further away, and the one in 87114 further still. The one in 87120, which I've already looked at, was about 15-20 minutes away in the middle of the day (which is probably when I'll be going to UNM), so I don't imagine any of them are too far. (Are they?)

Old 06-27-2008, 05:39 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
> ... 87105 looks like an easy jaunt to Bridge, to University, to UNM ...

It's not bad. Central is almost always busy, but it moves well.

It's a cheaper jaunt on the Central Express bus. $1 each way. You'll pay that much to park every day and the bus will drop you off closer to wherever you are going.

Keep your car nice and comfortable in the garage.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
It's a cheaper jaunt on the Central Express bus. $1 each way.
And if you are registered for at least 6 credit hours at UNM (2 classes), the bus is FREE.

ABQConvict

Old 07-01-2008, 12:29 AM

Well, I'm back. I drove by the house in 87105. The neighborhood was really run down. Large lots, but crumbling houses and rusted-out vehicles. The house for rent looked pretty good, and had gated entry, but still, cripes.

Thanks to Imperial Group Property Management, on whose useless assurances that they could show me houses on Monday I based my trip, I only got to see the house in 87111 from the outside. And it's a nice middle-class neighborhood.

Again thanks to Imperial, I only got to see two more upscale-looking houses on Mountainside (in 87111) from the outside. A nice little community of identical houses around little culs-de-sac. I'll bet there are people who've lived there for months who still have to look at the numbers to tell where they are in that complex.

I really enjoy Tyson Properties, because they just Xerox your driver's license, take a $25 deposit, and give you the keys for up to five houses. You don't have the feeling of someone tapping their foot while you look around. This time, I looked at a place east of Tramway (in 87122). And I found out it's in my price range because it badly needs new carpeting and paint. And more than one TV outlet. Like maybe one in the living room.

With someone from GDR, I saw a pretty nice house in 87114 and a somewhat run-down one in 87120. (The latter had wall-to-wall carpeting in all three bathrooms. Obviously, a man didn't come up with that bright idea.) But she turned out to be a key short of being able to show me the inside of another house in 87120, on the appallingly named Yipee Calle Ct.

Many, many houses went off the market just between my printing them out from a rental site, and calling the companies. There was one I quite liked from the outside, east of Tramway and north of Lomas, which would have been a pretty easy 15-minute dash to UNM. Oh, well.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque