Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,321 times

Advertisements

Has anyone found a resturant in Albuquerque where you can bring your own wine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM

21 posts, read 51,783 times
Default Forgive me for asking but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceceliarn View Post
Has anyone found a resturant in Albuquerque where you can bring your own wine?
Are you moving here from Texas?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 AM

21 posts, read 51,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceceliarn View Post
Has anyone found a restaurant in Albuquerque where you can bring your own wine?
... After thinking about my quick response I realized that it was bordering on rude ... I apologize.

So many of us enjoy fine wine (from our own cellars) that are not necessarily on the Wine List of even the best of eating establishments - not snobby - just all wines can't be all tastes to all people.

This is what I found for you ... you might Google for further info.

Fork & Bottle: All About Wine Corkage and Corkage Fees

(look to bottom right corner for New Mexico reference, please)

...while I crawl back under the rock I should have stayed lurking from...

Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

145 posts, read 481,470 times
ceceliarn,

Don't feel bad. Most folks are unaware that bringing wine to a fine restaurant is not a texas hillbillie habit, who are typically a more lone star clientele. I have been to any number of fine ($150+) establishments in seattle and there is typically a $15 corkage fee. Many of the finer restaurants in Albuqeruque (blakes lotta burger for example) don't have a liqueur license so bringing wine would not be an option.

Cheers

PS
Looks like a strike against New Mexico. this taken from the afore mentioned website

Which States is it illegal to BYO wine?
This is really hard to determine, but I believe it is illegal in Arizona, Colorado, Maine, New Mexico and Ohio. And others, I assume.

One must remember New Mexico just made it legal to take home your unfinished bottle of $80 stags leap. prior you had to swill it all and then not drive home drunk. It also must be placed in a state approved bag for travel.

Last edited by jghoo; 07-09-2008 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
I've read rules of etiquette on the subject, but never bothered to learn them.

The reason is that I am not smart enough to tell that "my" wine is better than the "house" wine(s).

Rarely, do I ever order other than the house wine.

I can't image that if you don't follow the proper rules (whatever those are) of BYO that you can't get away with it.

People that BtheirO wine to save money should, IMO just *not* eat out.
They are in the same group as people who live sub-par tips.

It's the same thing if you go to a restaurant and only order one dinner, but ask the server to go to the extra trouble to "bring an extra plate" or have the cook put it on two plates. If you only spend $10 on the entree as such, you should tip like you spent $20 ( + the booze, salads, etc ).

I've found that sub-par tippers never had to actually work a menial job and thus don't "get it."

If you have cleaned toilets, showers, other people's tables, dishes, etc. you are likely to be a better tipper in my experience.

Don't get me wrong, I've left 9-cent tips arranged in some sort of pattern to let a crapper server know they were crappy. Otherwise, I'm a good tipper (partly) because I've done all of the above.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Mortimer I agree. I worked service jobs when I was younger (worked at the Chick-fil-a in the mall, then went on to work at Casa De Benavidez, then went on to work at Seagull Street all during high school and college) and trust me, I know the value of the tip. I can't believe that some people leave no tips at all. Don't people realize that waiters make like $3 an hour plus tips, and that if they don't get enough tips to cover, then they get minimum wage. If you can't afford to leave a reasonable tip (15-25%) then you can't afford the meal you ordered. Its as simple as that.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
Many of the finer restaurants in Albuqeruque (blakes lotta burger for example) don't have a liqueur license so bringing wine would not be an option.
Hmm, when you say Many, do you mean Most? Do they advertise such? I enjoy wine or beer with my dinner and If I go to a nice restaurant I want to have a tasy beverage with my dinner.

While I am asking this, I might as well inquire about New Mexico's liquor laws. Are there many dry counties in and around ABQ?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM

362 posts, read 1,719,389 times
The BYO Wine is, in my experience, not to be cheap and save money. Rather its is, as I believe someone else mentioned, that the wine you have at home is often better than what is on the list at several restaurants. Very common practice in Cali. I didn't see it much in ABQ and honestly, I don't see it much in TX. One of my friends is a sommelier and she will commonly call ahead, speak to the manager of restaurant X to see if its a problem for us to bring in our wine. Most places say no problem. Ahh, the Stags Leap. I also really enjoy the ZD and a new discovery for me..the Lolonis Orpheus. Brilliant.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 PM

145 posts, read 481,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
Hmm, when you say Many, do you mean Most? Do they advertise such? I enjoy wine or beer with my dinner and If I go to a nice restaurant I want to have a tasy beverage with my dinner.

While I am asking this, I might as well inquire about New Mexico's liquor laws. Are there many dry counties in and around ABQ?
dpgtfc,

This portion of the post was a commentary on Albuquerque cuisine. It was not intended as fact. Should you find a fine dining establishment I am sure they will have a complete selection of beverage. What wine goes with boiled green chilis? Perhaps selection from Morgan David would be appropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
Byob-cuisine1.jpg  

Last edited by jghoo; 07-15-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque