Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

Mike0421: Excellent post, I gave you a bump for it. I agree, NJ and NM have profound differences. I much prefer NM. The NE part of ABQ is very nice, with prices to match.

Meth heads are all over the country. But it's not too hard to avoid them, unless you live with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
New Jersey and New Mexico might as well be on different planets. Just the climatic difference is huge. NJ winters are cold and wet, NM are cool& dry. NJ summers are hot and sticky, NM are hot and dry. NJ gets slush, NM gets powder snow.

I suggest taking some time and move to a NM city and stay awhile. Maybe moving to a place of endless optimism and hope from NJ urban depression may help your mood. Give it a try and good luck.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko1999 View Post
Mike0421
I'm moving from Phillipsburg so I wouldn't say I'm really part of NJ. It's a really small town with no jobs except fast food and no chance for advancement. The biggest city I've lived in was Allentown, PA. The people that make a decent wage have to travel. I would do that except I can't due to being on general assistance and my mom has a car, but she suffers from breathing problems and sever depression. The public trans. is really bad here and just goes to the community college (that's the farth it goes). To make matters worse I've been on GA since 2001 because of clinical depression that never goes away. My therapist said that maybe getting to a place with more sunshine and a better environment may help.
I know all about Phillipsburg, my sister in law lives in Easton, and I used to go to school with someone who lived in a small town called Broadway, which is just east of P-burg.

If your exposure is limited to P-burg, and points nearby, then your transition should be more seamless than if you arrived from another area of the state. Poverty abounds within Phillipsburg, it is an 'Abbott' school district. You are spatially equivalent to the 87122 district if you were to drive, to say, West Portal, or Milford, two wealthier zip codes in NJ nearby to Phillipsburg.

I understand the depression part, though my was never diagnosed, and was largely limited to winter. Looking back now, I realize that my problem was not so much how cold the winter was, but the persistent steel gray skies that seemed intractible during those cold months. We don't have that problem here, and my spirits are more uplifting in the winter now. It's about 25 degrees warmer on any given day, with sun, however, this is Las Cruces, which is about 10-15 degrees warmer than Abq during any given winter day. But my problem was cloud cover more than the cold itself. Abq's winter, as GregW says, is drier and sunnier.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggggies View Post
I wouldn't either!

I live in NJ from 6th grade until I was 19. And, prior to that we were in PA (except for 2 years we live in WI) and spent every summer down the shore. While the summers at the beach were great as a child, I honestly can't stand NJ. It's boring.

NM is a totally different world. They are so different, it would be hard to compare it other then to say NJ suck and NM rocks!
Wow, I should really proofread before posting. Sorry about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque