Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 AM

371 posts, read 2,029,406 times

Advertisements

Am I right in saying unless you have $200,000 or more to spend that there aren't many areas to get a home in? I posted earlier about affordable areas and was basically told within our price range of up to $150,000 that all we could get would be a rental or maybe a doublewide trailer.

How is it possible that my husband would make less there, but the cost of living is that much more expensive? Is this an area where both spouses must work and you have to put your kids in daycare or are there other alternatives? I will go back to work if I have to for sure because we want this to work, but I can't belive there aren't any stay at home moms raising their families.

Please advise. We are feeling very letdown. We'll be visiting the first 2 weeks of April and maybe we should find a realtor then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 AM

Here's a kind of p.s. You probably, if you've read my previous posts, thought we have been kind of all over about where we want to live and you're right, but New Mexico is the only place that we decided to throw caution to the wind and "just do it." We thought of Wisconsin, Montana and going back home to New York, but for various reasons none of these ideas worked out.

We had our 10 year anniversary in New Mexico in 2000, in April, and are esctatic to think we'll be living there.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
Hmmm...well I posted about 170K new houses for you. You can't rely on just posts in this forum. You need to do some real estate searches on your own and also look at the Albuquerque paper to see about new housing starts.

I think there are still plenty of houses for $150K -- some new, some used. They may be smaller and not in the ritzy parts of town but that is how it goes.

My advice is to contact a realtor here and tell them what you are looking for and when you visit, have them take you around and see or yourself where and what $150K will get you here.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Hmmm...well I posted about 170K new houses for you. You can't rely on just posts in this forum. You need to do some real estate searches on your own and also look at the Albuquerque paper to see about new housing starts.

I think there are still plenty of houses for $150K -- some new, some used. They may be smaller and not in the ritzy parts of town but that is how it goes.

My advice is to contact a realtor here and tell them what you are looking for and when you visit, have them take you around and see or yourself where and what $150K will get you here.
Sorry LLD - I seem to have offended you and certainly didn't intend to. I'm not looking for a mansion - just a safe place to raise my 4 year old son. I have heard about so many unsafe areas and I guess you're right I will stop posting and asking questions and find a realtor. Sorry to have bothered everyone.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Am I right in saying unless you have $200,000 or more to spend that there aren't many areas to get a home in? I posted earlier about affordable areas and was basically told within our price range of up to $150,000 that all we could get would be a rental or maybe a doublewide trailer.

Please advise. We are feeling very letdown. We'll be visiting the first 2 weeks of April and maybe we should find a realtor then.

You can find places in and around Abq for 150k. Use that link that I gave you on your other thread to search for your range. Some other rural areas to consider are Los Lunas and Belen.

I made the comment about the doublewide after a quick search on the multiple listing service. A few doublewides popped up in your price range.
I also suggested renting only because you are coming from out of state. Renting for a little while will allow you and your husband a little time to get to know the area better and pick a home to meet your family needs.

good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 AM

Thank you very much. You have been a tremendous help. I was afraid I offended you as often happens when conversing through these means. Thanks again. I can't wait. We will definitely look into renting before purchasing.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
LLD

No offense taken. Sorry if my response sounded that way. I'm just a straight shooting Texan giving you some info. I live in Albuquerque. If I was offended, believe me you would know it. :-)

I'm just often surprised at people all over city-data that somehow think they are going to get definitive information to make a life changing decision. It's just another tool in the toolbox to help you. So ask away, that is the purpose of the site. And take the information you get with a grain of salt because you will get all kinds of answers. positive and negative, and sometimes none at all.

Often people get upset if others don't answer them thinking all kinds of things and that isn't the case at all. People often don't see posts, only pass through occassionally or don't know the answer so they don't respond.

Okay I will have to moderate myself if I don't get back on topic.

Overall, I think you can find what you want, so don't be too discouraged until you visit and do a bit of looking around etc.

And my apologies if I sounded harsh. Did not mean to discourage you from posting or asking quesitons.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM
LLD

p.s. the advice to rent before you buy is just good advice when moving to a new area

Old 03-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks. I took your advice and have contacted a realtor. I'm asking about a rent to own situation. I really hate the idea of moving my son again. He really is a creature of habit and this move is already wearing thin on him. Only 4 years old, but doesn't like change. I, however, love change. I guess he gets it from his Daddy. Thanks to all. I'm not that discouraged until I talk with a realtor and they say, "What are you crazy!" That has happened here in Illinois.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 AM

368 posts, read 1,329,305 times
I just bought a 2 year old home in Rio Rancho near the arena,its kinda far out in the middle of the desert ,but it was only 150,000, I'm hoping when the new downtown is built the housing will go up and increase my house value, so the distance to Albq wont be too bad once everything is in place in Rio Rancho, but if you search you can find an affordable home in Rio Rancho in a nice surburban neighborhood, check out REMAX and enter in the city you choose to search for a house in and it'll give you the houses that are currently on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque