Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:44 PM

38 posts, read 69,472 times

Advertisements

The placemarks on the left aren't in order, but if you scroll down to "Hotel to Downtown", and look for similar entries, those are in order, yeah. I think we'll probably use it as a very rough guide; we'll have a print-out of the map and a GPS, so can be pretty flexible.

I should say that a few of the routes I did alter manually so that we'd pass certain parks or other areas, so the routes are not optimized for speed. I specifically avoided the interstates so we could cruise down Central, Tramway, and some other roads. I'm all ears, though, bernco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
My wife and I are looking for a 2-3 bedroom rental house in a safe neighborhood that is within a 30-minute (bus, rail, or drive) commute to UNM campus. ...
If you want walkability, then walk FROM the UNM campus to locate places to live and don't drive ANYWHERE ANYONE else has suggested. I don't care how nice of a neighborhood someone has recommended.

If you walk the area directly to the West of the campus bordering on University, you'll find beautiful neighborhoods in a rolling hills-type of setting.

If you walk North of the hospital, ... same thing.

If you walk East of the campus ... same thing, but without the hills.

I lived between Washington and San Mateo just North of Central for a number of years and walked to the campus at all hours of the day and friggin' loved the environment.

If you elect to live where you have to drive to the campus then you are a looney. Parking is a nightmare there and the only people with good parking spaces have been there for decades and have connections.

Note that living anywhere along the Red or Blue bus lines is a great compromise, but walking is far superior.

Walking to the UNM campus from just about any direction within a two-mile radus provides many many beautiful routes that you can mix-up every day for a stress-relieving walk to a beautiful campus.

Early in the morning, Central Avenue ( through Nob Hill ) is also very walkable. ( Less so as traffic builds. )

Coming from out of town and plopping down in a place where you have to drive to the campus is absolutely nuts. Walking is good for your health and you save huge quantities of cash from not buying gasoline, parking passes, and maintenance on your car.

Plus, if you walk a lot, you'll keep a nice butt.

Don't be a nut.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 PM

I was secretly hoping you'd chime in, mortimer, and you did not disappoint.

Walking would be ideal. Bus (red/blue lines) is next. Driving is something I would be very reluctant to do, though I've thought it might be nice to have one of those nifty little scooters (so as to more easily suck down tons of car exhaust). I have never driven to work, in fact; have always walked and taken buses and subways! So yeah, I'm totally with you.

Having never stepped foot anywhere near ABQ, I'd want to see as much of the city as possible in two days; it's hard to tell what sort of neighborhoods these are from reading websites and looking at photos. It sounds like that these hoods -- North Campus, Spruce Park, Silver Hill, Sycamore, Nob Hill, Summit Park, University Heights -- are very likely to be what we're looking for, of course, and have seen 3-bdrm houses for rent in that area within our price range.

Oh, and the butt angle seals the deal. Who doesn't want a nice butt?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing
I was secretly hoping you'd chime in, mortimer, and you did not disappoint.
I've disappointed many a poster by chiming in though. I just can't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing
Having never stepped foot anywhere near ABQ, I'd want to see as much of the city as possible in two days; ...
My advice was how to find a house within walking distance.
You essentially practice the "walk home" and see how it fits.

Check the thread interview where I "chimed in" and disagreed with,
oh, pretty much everyone on the Santa Fe bit,
but was pretty much in liine with the Tram bit.

That will give you the "much of the city as possible" things.

I'm also going to link with this thread: A tour of Nob Hill
Where I posted a link with lots of pictures that might give you a preview.
(People who have already seen this can just ignore it.)

Also, DO check http://www.flickr.com/groups/albuquerque/pool/ (broken link)
and also http://www.flickr.com/groups/newmexico/pool/ (broken link)
for some other previews of what other stuff looks like.
(That pizza looks good!)

Last edited by mortimer; 07-27-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I've disappointed many a poster by chiming in though. I just can't win.
Ha! I get almost as much hate-mail in my inbox here as I have reputation points. The price of being a tactless brute.

Leftwing: Listen to mortimer. He knows of what he speaks. From the neighborhoods you have listed as being interested in, the Red/Blue lines of RapidRide will take you almost everywhere in town you will be interested in seeing. Also, you may want to rent a bike and ride up the bike path and along the bike routes, Bike Boulevard, etc.

ABQConvict

Old 07-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ha! I get almost as much hate-mail in my inbox here as I have reputation points.
Really? I've only gotten two inbox hate-mails,
but lots O' zingers in posts.

I've really got to stop showing so much tact.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks, y'all. Much obliged, really.

We'll be renting a car but the walking tour and perhaps the biking are great ideas. If the interview goes well and we're not totally turned off by what we see of the general UNM/Nob Hill area, we would definitely come back for 7-10 days for apartment-hunting. So what we miss this time, we'd be sure to check out next time.

Really excited about getting a chance to see ABQ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque