Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 24,129 times

Advertisements

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I'm from Indiana... moved out here five years ago... and am leaving at the end of the year because my job contract will expire and I've never been able to adjust here.Primarily, the people are far less kind and warm than any place I've lived. Much colder and more self-absorbed. Also, related to that, there are HUGE societal ills. High crime (not just high, but often brutally violent crime), DWI, alarming animal cruelty, low education levels, corruption... and the list goes on. Personally, I think far too many transplants in Albuquerque just live in the nice parts of town and choose to avoid thinking about these significant issues. They always say that weather is why they love it here... but to me, the people are the most important aspect of your community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
I disagree. I live in a very friendly neighborhood. If I leave my garage open, I get a call pretty quickly about it.

A neighbor of mine wheels my garbage can (along with the other day-job folks) back into it's place after the Tuesday morning pick-up.

We're meeting (as a neighborhood) with a local Mayoral candidate this weekend. It should be a nice little get together.

Your comment about crime is an unanswerable platitude.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQT View Post
I hate to be a negative Nancy, ...
No you don't.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
"far too many transplants in Albuquerque just live in the nice parts of town"

Who relocates to live in a crappy part of town?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
"far too many transplants in Albuquerque just live in the nice parts of town"

Who relocates to live in a crappy part of town?
Honestly, I would rather move to ABQ and have to start off in a bad area than have to stay in Indiana another year. Indiana (in my 32 years here) has proven to have some of the rudest, backward people I have met, and I have traveled ALOT. Don't let that small town midwest friendly cliche fool you. In some of these small farm communities the people are downright mean if you don't look, act, dress, like them or belong to thier area. Especially gas station workers, mean mean people many of them.
I always know when I'm back in Indiana because cashiers have no eye contact and you rarely get a "thank you."

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
jc76, we moved here from Michigan 10+ years ago and haven't regretted a minute of it. We have great neighbors and met many other friendly folks through other activities. Also, if you check the crime stats, you'll find that it's about average here (although the local news reports on little else).

Old 08-08-2009, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQT View Post
I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I'm from Indiana... moved out here five years ago... and am leaving at the end of the year because my job contract will expire and I've never been able to adjust here.Primarily, the people are far less kind and warm than any place I've lived. Much colder and more self-absorbed. Also, related to that, there are HUGE societal ills. High crime (not just high, but often brutally violent crime), DWI, alarming animal cruelty, low education levels, corruption... and the list goes on. Personally, I think far too many transplants in Albuquerque just live in the nice parts of town and choose to avoid thinking about these significant issues. They always say that weather is why they love it here... but to me, the people are the most important aspect of your community.
I agree people are more important than weather but I don't agree with you on the attitude of the people in NM. I think, overall they are friendly and outgoing, a little too laid back for some, I am sure, but we never had so many really good friends as we had the 7 years we lived there.

some of what you have found I do agree with: the DWI problems and certainly the educational problems should be a huge concern to the citizens of ABQ and the surrounding area. The one thing we noticed was it appeared that people overall, at least where we lived were inclined to be on the lazy side. They preferred to live off the government than to better themselves.

Still, I think NM is a great state overall and often gets a bad rap.

JIm, I have to disagree about the crime, I think it is probably higher in ABQ than most cities its size.

Nita

Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Hey Nita I know you from the L.A. board. Welcome to NM
So you know of my love of CA and my love of warm weather, now you know of my love of not having to work 3 jobs to afford a tiny studio...hence the ABQ possibility. I'm going out to NM for a week or so at the end of this month. Check it out, get a feel for the place, the people, the environment. ABQ has always been in the back of my mind and seems the weather there is much better than here in IN. Has that old west feel somewhat without the sky high cost of living.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I always know when I'm back in Indiana because cashiers have no eye contact and you rarely get a "thank you."
I actually prefer that type of interaction. I'm doing business. I don't know the cashier and I'm not there on a social call. It is especially grating when I'm trying to get out of the store and to a real social call with my family and friends and everyone on line in front of me feels the need to make chit-chat with the cashier especially after the transaction has been completed. Like I need to stand on line all day!

Saying 'thanks' after the money changes hands is one thing, but what's with the pointless conversations?

Sorry, this is obviously a pet peeve of mine.

ABQConvict

Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Hey Nita I know you from the L.A. board. Welcome to NM
So you know of my love of CA and my love of warm weather, now you know of my love of not having to work 3 jobs to afford a tiny studio...hence the ABQ possibility. I'm going out to NM for a week or so at the end of this month. Check it out, get a feel for the place, the people, the environment. ABQ has always been in the back of my mind and seems the weather there is much better than here in IN. Has that old west feel somewhat without the sky high cost of living.
You will love the combination of high desert and mountains. Or we loved it anyway. Don't let the people who paint negative pics scare you. Sure there is crime and yes, there are many drunk drivers (watch out for them or you may not live to see 2010) but there are lots of wonderful things about NM> As long as you keep a positive attitude you will be just as happy in ABQ as back in L.A. and maybe happier.

Good luck,

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque