Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

In the Albuquerque Metro, there are currently three out of the "big four" elevator/escalator manufacturers who have local offices (Otis, ThyssenKrupp, and KONE). Schindler is the only manufacturer who is absent here in Albuquerque.

Currently, the largest Schindler user in the Albuqerque Metro (and probably the entire state of New Mexico) is Cottonwood Mall. I am guessing the reason for that is because the mall's owners (Simon Property Group) had a corporate agreement with Schindler at the time. Their elevators and escalators were ordered out of Schindler's offices in Phoenix, Arizona. Currently, KONE is contracted to do the maintenance on Cottonwood Mall's elevators and escalators.

So, with the growth in the Albuquerque area, do you think that Schindler may eventually open offices in the area? I think if they did, it would probably be in Rio Rancho as that is where the fastest growth is occuring in the Albuquerque Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
You think they are going to start building Schindler elevators in Rio Rancho?

So you think there is such a great demand for an elevator factory?

Are you just dreaming up questions?

Rich

Old 08-14-2009, 03:59 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Is it safe to assume this is a rhetorical question? Because I think most of the regular posters here already know the answer to this question.

Chap

Old 08-14-2009, 04:04 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,204 times
Frankly, I think we need a "Which is your favorite elevator?" poll.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You think they are going to start building Schindler elevators in Rio Rancho?

So you think there is such a great demand for an elevator factory?

Rich
Not a factory, just a local office. Otis, ThyssenKrupp, and KONE all have local offices (not factories) in Albuquerque. Schindler is the only one of the big four manufacturers who is absent from the Albuquerque market.

Beacuse there are no Schindler offices in the Albuquerque Metro, KONE is currently contracted to perform maintenance on all of Cottonwood Mall's Schindler elevators and escalators.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Frankly, I think we need a "Which is your favorite elevator?" poll.
I'm an Otis fan, always have been.....

I knew/met a family who owned the "Hollywood Electric Car Company" in Hollywood, FL about 40 years ago. They use to make elevators in the 30's and 40's.

Everytime I use to step in an elevator and see the brass "Otis" threshold I would think of a supervisor I had, Otis. And of course the people who owned "Hollywood Electric Car Company".

Now it gets more bizzar. Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding came out. 1968? And I hated the song till I heard it over and over. This is about when I got my draft notice....

Rio Rancho, hoping we get an Otis elevator here in Rio Rancho.

Rich

Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I'm an Otis fan, always have been.....

I knew/met a family who owned the "Hollywood Electric Car Company" in Hollywood, FL about 40 years ago. They use to make elevators in the 30's and 40's.

Everytime I use to step in an elevator and see the brass "Otis" threshold I would think of a supervisor I had, Otis. And of course the people who owned "Hollywood Electric Car Company".

Now it gets more bizzar. Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding came out. 1968? And I hated the song till I heard it over and over. This is about when I got my draft notice....

Rio Rancho, hoping we get an Otis elevator here in Rio Rancho.

Rich
But Otis already has offices in Albuquerque, so I don't see a reason for them to have additional offices in Rio Rancho.

And please don't let this thread go off-topic. There is already a poll for favorite elevator manufacturer in the link below:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/scien...ufacturer.html

Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
andros, are you by chance an engineer in real life?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
andros, are you by chance an engineer in real life?
No. I am majoring in Computer Science at UNM, but I just have interest in how new technology comes out in anything.

Anyway, at UNM, we will be getting four new KONE EcoSpace MRL traction elevators, with the first one being installed at Mitchell Hall, which is currently being renovated. The other three will go at Tamarind Institue (also being renovated) and in two new buildings (the School of Education Addition, and the Math & Sciences Center). These elevators use 1/3 the energy of hydraulic elevators and do not require any oil.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM

72 posts, read 195,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
No. I am majoring in Computer Science at UNM, but I just have interest in how new technology comes out in anything.

Anyway, at UNM, we will be getting four new KONE EcoSpace MRL traction elevators, with the first one being installed at Mitchell Hall, which is currently being renovated. The other three will go at Tamarind Institue (also being renovated) and in two new buildings (the School of Education Addition, and the Math & Sciences Center). These elevators use 1/3 the energy of hydraulic elevators and do not require any oil.
I reckon you know a lot about cyberspace? You ever come across anything like....time-travel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque