Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:41 PM

811 posts, read 2,941,176 times

Advertisements

Albuquerque's first Bonefish Grill to open at Coronado Center.

Bonefish Grill opening first Albuquerque restaurant - Albuquerque Business First
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
I've noticed a number of postings on chains opening in Abq. Is this because there is such a lack of them in the city? I tend to prefer the uniqueness of a place rather than the more homogenous we could be anywhere in the USA look. Just wondering why so much attention is being paid to these openings. Not meant as criticism, just curiosity. Is it good?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
I've noticed a number of postings on chains opening in Abq. Is this because there is such a lack of them in the city? I tend to prefer the uniqueness of a place rather than the more homogenous we could be anywhere in the USA look. Just wondering why so much attention is being paid to these openings. Not meant as criticism, just curiosity. Is it good?
Some people get excited about chain stores, not just restaurants, but a variety of business's. At one time I traveled a lot in my job, so some of those places meant a lot for my comfort and sanity. While in the US, I was glad to see a Holiday Inn and a McDonald's...

In my opinion, there is not a lack of Restaurants in the ABQ area, there are literary hundreds of them, more than I can eat at: Albuquerque Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Old 11-03-2013, 10:40 AM

Poncho, thanks for the link. It is true familarity often brings comfort when traveling, you know what to expect. I was thinking along lines of restaurants and remembering that Abq. seems to have numerous wonderful local places. Of course as a visitor I head directly to NM cuisine as often as I can. Maybe when it is always available you want something else for a change. They have opened a sort of southwestern place here but not even close. to much Texas not enough NM.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Don't shoot the messanger, im just trying to keep people informed. Most of these places ive never tried, so makes no difference to me. Actually on the contrary, not many replies so i don't know where you think people are getting excited.
Anyway, veriety is always a good thing to have!

Old 11-03-2013, 02:55 PM

66 posts, read 129,745 times
Bonefish Grill is decent for a chain, especially if you are far from the coast and don't have access to the type of local mom and pop seafood restaurants where they catch it the same day you eat it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Observe I've just seen several postings regarding chains opening and people seemed excited.
I wondered if there was a lack of those type restaurants in Abq. Not trying to shoot the messenger, sorry if it came across that way. There is a Bonefish here but have never been there. I get more excited when an independent restaurant opens and I get to try the culinary visions of a creative chef.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Observe I've just seen several postings regarding chains opening and people seemed excited.
I wondered if there was a lack of those type restaurants in Abq. Not trying to shoot the messenger, sorry if it came across that way. There is a Bonefish here but have never been there. I get more excited when an independent restaurant opens and I get to try the culinary visions of a creative chef.
I see, all the chains that are posted are new to the area. Apparently Albuquerque has popped up on several restaurant radars because of the volume several new restaurants are doing. As for local eateries, i agree you cannot beat some of the local restaurants culinary inventions.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Do you have a favorite local place? Poncho how about you?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Do you have a favorite local place? Poncho how about you?

My personal favorites, I have gone to these many times over the past 10 years or so:

La Casita Cafe
Bernalillo
Mexican and New Mexican
Currently closed due to death in the family.
Like very much.

Range Café
Bernalillo
American, Mexican and New Mexican
Very popular with a lot of people. Take visitors there. Not my favorite but good.

Los Cuates
Albuquerque
American, Mexican and New Mexican
I like the original one in ABQ, this one has been Good/Very Good.

Perea's Tijuana Bar
Corrales
Mexican and New Mexican
Not crowded. Gotta like spicey...

Casa de Benavidez
North Valley
Mexican and New Mexican
Nice patio. Good service and food.

Mary & Tito's Cafe
North Valley
Mexican, Southwestern and New Mexican
A classic historical treasure. Too far for me, but I try to go while in the area.

Monroe's
Northeast Heights
Southwestern, Mexican and New Mexican

Cervantes Restaurant & Lounge
International District
Mexican and New Mexican
Enjoyable.

Hot Tamales
Rio Rancho
Mexican and New Mexican
My most favorite. Near me, have always had good service, inexpensive.

Las Cazuelas
Rio Rancho
Mexican, New Mexican and Seafood
Good to very good. I like this place since they opened. Check out the patio.

Garcia's Kitchen
Martinez Town
Mexican and New Mexican
I usually go for their breakfast.

El Pinto
North Valley
Southwestern, Mexican and New Mexican
It is OK/Good. Popular for large groups.

Rudy's Country Store & Bar-B-Q
Eat there or good for take-out.
Albuquerque, near Cottonwood

County Line
BBQ and Steaks
Academy Hills - Albuquerque

Mr. Powdrell's Barbeque
North Valley, 4th st, Albuquerque

And for a good review blog: Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog | Follow the Culinary Ruminations of New Mexico's Sesquipedalian Sybarite. 631 Restaurant Reviews…And Counting! Gil has never let me down.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque