Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 04:44 PM

66 posts, read 126,720 times

Advertisements

These are the ones me and my fiancee are considering. We're moving out there in a month and a half and could use some advice.

Any others you could recommend in the 500-600 a month for a one bedroom range would be great too as would advice on hotels that offer solid monthly rates in solid areas. Thank you!

Sunchase Apartments
Academy Heights Apartments
Tierra Pointe Apartments
Indigo Park Apartments
Cibola Village Apartments
The Beach Apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Try staying at a studio type hotel/motel for the first few weeks, that way you can check out places on your own. The neighborhoods vary wildly block by block in some areas. You can also get good rates on duplex/triplex units if you don't mind not having a pool/workout room (rents will be less though). I stayed at the Studio 6 for 2 weeks when I first moved here, decent place in a convenient location.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 AM

We're planning on doing just that. Studio 6 and InTown Suites are considered, ITS is leading for us because of a better location, lower price and the fact the the biggest complaint I've seen is that they don't supply pans/dishes/etc. Well... we're moving there and will need those things anyway, we don't mind providing that to save some money. Already called and talked to the desk who were very helpful.

We want to see the places ourselves and do plan to look at smaller places as well. But we'd still like some info on a few places which have caught our eye when looking online. Looks like our arrival date will be the 12th of October.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,665 times
Sunchase Apartments
Tierra Pointe Apartments
Indigo Park Apartments
The Beach Apartments[/quote]

3000 block of Montgomery, 5000 block of Wyoming, SW Albuquerque, 7000 block of Montgomery, 12000 block of Montgomery, Tingley Beach area.

You are all over the city with this list. Is commute to/from your job at all important to you?

Where will the two of you be working?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:50 AM

We're still looking into where we'll be working. We're coming out with about 10,000 dollars and we'll be looking for jobs when we get there. We're more focused on a nice location than a specific one.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:03 AM

212 posts, read 539,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Sunchase Apartments
Tierra Pointe Apartments
Indigo Park Apartments
The Beach Apartments
3000 block of Montgomery, 5000 block of Wyoming, SW Albuquerque, 7000 block of Montgomery, 12000 block of Montgomery, Tingley Beach area.

You are all over the city with this list. Is commute to/from your job at all important to you?

Where will the two of you be working?[/quote]

I am moving OUT of Academy Heights about 2 months from now. It's cheap and close to work for me, but other than that, every other aspect is hurting. That's what they're selling you, on the 2 most common criteria, price and location... Oh yeah, it has regular refrigerated AC which is nice, and my apt was remodeled before i moved in. Its DIRT cheap and I've just been saving bocu cash every month... Like my 1 bedroom is $490/month, and they do all their own utility bills and add it to your rent due, and figure about $70-100 per month for ALL bills (water, elec, gas) combined. So really I have been looking at $600/month in total bills, except cable/net of course.

If you do settle on this place, which I WOULD NOT, be sure to get a unit facing WEST, yes West away from the mountain view to the East... because... if you face east, you also face a 40mph Wyoming blvd with sliding doors and windows from the 1970's. I complained so much about the noise, I even offered to split the cost of a new window for my bedroom, but they did not budge. You will not get new windows or doors. It was so bad and I could not sleep at night, that I bought some sound board at lowes and boarded up my bedroom window from the inside, creating an air tight sound seal. Now it keeps leaking cold air out as well as the deafening noise. But no light, and no fresh air! Otherwise you would hear every car, truck, and motorcycle blasting down Wyoming at wide open throttle. And don't think people go 40 on Wyoming, figure 50 to 60... I've seen at least 3 fender benders right outside my window, people speed, tailgate, and honk in this area... Not to mention you are next door to a Pres Urgent Care something or other behind walmart, so on average you'll hear 5 to 10 ambulances screaming by every day too. I can imagine it being better on the west side of the building away from the street, but it still sucks. I have now learned the value of living some place quiet. I never considered it in my rental criteria before, but now it's at the top of the list.
Also, there are no elevators, so don't get a 3rd floor place like I did, it takes forever to get to your car from the 3rd floor. And picture carrying all your groceries up 3 flights of stairs from a distant parking lot. But if you go ground floor, you would have bugs no doubt, this place is not the cleanest. Dont be fooled by this place, the office leasing people are nice and straight forward, you get what you pay for, but it's still not worth it to suffer there. Spend a couple hundred more and get something nicer. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,738 times
I lived at Academy Heights before moving to Denver, on the 2nd floor near the middle by the workout room, the 2nd floor seemed to be the cleanest and had friendly and less trashy tenants in my opinion. We faced East as well. The noise was horrible, and when I first moved in was awakened several times by sirens and huge semi's that startled me awake. Eventually I got used to it, but I never felt like I had a good nights rest until I left there.
We had a 2 bedroom, it was large, retro and roomy, nice big kitchen and storage space, dining area. I love the retro apt's, Academy Heights was built in 1969. I paid 695/mo and like the poster before said they add the water an utilities to your bill, so you pay one lump sum every month. I think we had a really old A/C. My electric/gas and water, with service charge ranged from 120-190 dollars a month. I think it had to do with the old doors and poorly insulated windows. So i ended up paying near 800. Staff is friendly and accommodating and available. I really miss them, They are way better than the staff I have here in Denver who are horrible and have made countless mistakes on my bill. Indoor pool was a plus, and there were hardly any children making noise, neighbors quiet and kept to themselves, if you like that type of environment.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,436 times
We moved out here from Michigan. When we first arrived, we stayed at Studio 6. It was FANTASTIC, but we wanted to save a little money, so we went to InTown Suites. BAD IDEA! Not only was it not as clean, but there was a gas leak that occurred, which they ignored. I knew something wasn't right with me, and I had been smelling gas. I got very dizzy, crawled out of my room, cried out to the cleaning crew, who listened to me sob and say that something wasn't right, that I thought there was a gas leak. The front attendant, who was also the owner, said that it wasn't anything. It wasn't until my fiance called (he was at work) and had to scream at the lady over the phone before they called someone to check it out. They put me in another room (in another building), then called a few hours later to thank me because, sure enough, there was a gas leak. We went right back to Studio 6! Studio 6 is clean, friendly, new, and was just a comfortable place for us to stay until we found a place. (We used it again during a transition from one place to another.)

Now, we live in Indigo Park. I certainly have my complaints about it, but there are also good aspects to it. Complaints? It seems that they have to shut off the water for a day to fix a main about once every other month. The "gated" entrance has walkway doors that don't have locks, and the driveway gate seems to broken every so often so that they have to leave it open during that time until it is fixed. Our carpet was awful looking when we moved in, stains, holes, etc. Parking can be difficult in the late evening, but we do usually find a spot. (This problem can also be solved by paying for covered assigned parking.) And, it is right on a busy street, Wyoming, near a busy intersection.

However, with all of that being said, we get a lot of space for our money, our neighbors are quiet, there are two pools and two laundry facilities, and we have a LARGE balcony (especially in comparison to most in Albuquerque). We are close to the mall, Uptown, restaurants and shops. If you have kids, there is a playground on site, and a park within walking distance. We are allowed to paint our walls, and there are heavy restrictions on what goes on your balcony. (While we make little complaints about this, we like it because it keeps the whole complex from looking junky and run-down.) Our neighbors are nice, and the complex usually hosts seasonal get-togethers. (For instance, an Easter-egg hunt, a Hawaiian summer pool party, etc.) Pets are allowed, but there are some restrictions and additional fees. If it says anything, we just signed another lease, this time for 12-month instead of 9 as we had done before!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM

16 posts, read 93,227 times
Red face Fellow Michigander & current Indigo Park!

"We moved out here from Michigan.

Now, we live in Indigo Park. I certainly have my complaints about it, but there are also good aspects to it. Complaints? It seems that they have to shut off the water for a day to fix a main about once every other month. The "gated" entrance has walkway doors that don't have locks, and the driveway gate seems to broken every so often so that they have to leave it open during that time until it is fixed. Our carpet was awful looking when we moved in, stains, holes, etc. Parking can be difficult in the late evening, but we do usually find a spot. (This problem can also be solved by paying for covered assigned parking.) And, it is right on a busy street, Wyoming, near a busy intersection."

I am from Michigan...Dearborn.. and I live in Indigo Park right now!!! I just tried looking for a better place with comparable cost but it is not worth it for me to move anyplace else right now.
The only things I will add to complaints are the amounts they raised my rent & fees, my car was broken into (I accidentally unlocked my car), and I'm having big problems with cockroaches!!!!!
I have a elder cat with kidney issues so I don't want to expose her to unnecessary toxins....
I live on the west side, in the back, not to sound pushy or nosy, but about where do you live in the complex????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque