Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 AM

73 posts, read 164,759 times

Advertisements

We will definitely be checking out the option of living in Rio Rancho, although my wife is a bit scared of all the critters! I have been telling her that they typically are not a problem, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
Like MitchMZ, my wife and 2 young boys are thinking of making the move from L.A. to ABQ. We're in our early 40's and done with the high cost of living and the rat race.

We're in need and crave the little things that matter - time, space and clean air for a change. We were there for a week earlier this spring and enjoyed it. People were nice and the food was pretty good.

We liked the Nob Hill area (we're music geeks, arty, into architechtural-oldworld-historical-homes & classic cars). So my question is how is living in the Nob Hill/UNM area or downtown areas like or a similar neighborhood? Do those areas have good schools? we're use to the traffic (takes us 45 minutes avg to drive 15 miles one way every morning) Crime? Prostitutes? Gangs? Looking to buy a home in the $225k range.

We have 2 dogs and get raccoons, opossums, skunks and families of squirrels in our yard...a few coyotes who aren't afraid to come up to you or your small ones in the park so we're use to the critters and the spiders but those alien buggers posted on this forum - WATCH OUT!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,077 times
We used to live in Nob Hill, not too far south of Kelly's and my wife loved the commute to work (UNM) she would sometimes ride her bike and be there very quickly.

I can't answer about the schools but I do know there is a great Elementary or Middle school down at the end of Wellesley. I think the high school is Highland which has mixed reviews.

We didn't witness any crime while we lived there, just the occasional loud drunks on a weekend evening.

Prostitutes are further east down central in the warzone so no worries about there. BUT, this afternoon around 2pm I did witness a drunken couple having sex on the corner of Silver & Tulane, so did the police who were on scene in minutes.

There is not much gang activity around Nob Hill, houses in your price range will be on the smaller side though and older.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
If you are worried about pizza men getting robbed, then this might not be the city for you, that kinda stuff is so petty than no one really cares about it. That stuff happens in all small towns accross NM.
This is how it's done:

Undercover Upper Darby Officer Shoots Armed Suspect During Attempted Robbery - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/topstories/shooting.pizza.delivery.2.1321742.html - broken link)

Sorry if I'm being too bossy as an outsider by saying this place needs to get more serious about crime.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
This is how it's done:

Undercover Upper Darby Officer Shoots Armed Suspect During Attempted Robbery - cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/topstories/shooting.pizza.delivery.2.1321742.html - broken link)

Sorry if I'm being too bossy as an outsider by saying this place needs to get more serious about crime.
well, getting seious about crime should be something that everyone should all be for, and yes, the link you posted is how it should be done, I say an eye for an eye or just start frying these scumbags as soon as they are convicted, waste them, either that or chop them off at the limbs and throw em in a cell so the CO's can kick them around like soccer balls.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM

238 posts, read 634,784 times
Exclamation Chop Suey

Quote:

well, getting seious about crime should be something that everyone should all be for, and yes, the link you posted is how it should be done, I say an eye for an eye or just start frying these scumbags as soon as they are convicted, waste them, either that or chop them off at the limbs and throw em in a cell so the CO's can kick them around like soccer balls.

Do you know why there is practically no crime in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait? It's because they get limbs chopped off for stealing and their heads cut off for higher crimes. I don't know about you, but I would seriously think twice about committing a crime there. Google "chop-chop square". My head is just too pretty to be hacked off and I would be a horrible typist without my digits. Scumbags here get away with murder - literally.

Criminals in those countries never get ahead in life.

--BtK

Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Do you know why there is practically no crime in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait? It's because they get limbs chopped off for stealing and their heads cut off for higher crimes. I don't know about you, but I would seriously think twice about committing a crime there. Google "chop-chop square". My head is just too pretty to be hacked off and I would be a horrible typist without my digits. Scumbags here get away with murder - literally.

Criminals in those countries never get ahead in life.

--BtK

yep, that would seriously make people think twice about committing a crime, the crime rate was go down like crazy, as it is right now, they just throw em in prison to hang out with their homes and lift weights.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Yeah, Saudi Arabia sure has it right, and its not just the thieves that get their just deserts; we could take a lesson from them on how to deal with adulterous women and apostates, too.

Christianity used to be just as good as Islam but the loony-left has taken over and now we give our criminals manuicures at $100 bucks o pop of our hard-earned tax money. Whoever ended the burning-at-the-stake and the drowning-girls-in-the-well thing that kept everyone in line, should be shot.

Note: the above opinion is utter twaddle.

ABQConvict

Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid
... practically no crime in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait? It's because they get limbs chopped off for stealing ...
WHACK!

Oops, sorry. I guess we got the wrong guy.

Such Sharia "justice" is common all over Muslim lands.

There are lots of news stories of people in Iraq who were being
flown to the US to have their stumps repaired since after the
whacking, what they have left is useless and in constant pain.

Were some of them guilty? Yeah, maybe, but I'd guess most, no.

It might seem satisfiying, but there is also no real attempt to make
sure that the victim/criminal ( who knows? ) is actually guilty.

One day you are walking down the street, the next, you
get an injection to make you docile and later wake up with
a missing hand or foot.

I've seen some video of lots and lots of hands and feet being
tossed onto a huge, distgusting and growing pile.

I agree with the idea of real punishment, but sitting in a jail cell
by yourself is adequate punishment.

Just because you think yourself immune to such amputations
because you don't commit crimes doesn't mean you won't be
subject to them should such justice come our way. All you
need is the 'right' accuser.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:39 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,864 times
Quote:
yep, that would seriously make people think twice about committing a crime, the crime rate was go down like crazy,
Uh, what's just about the first thing tour guides tell you before wandering around
an Egyptian or Moroccan marketplace?

"Watch out for the thieves and pickpockets..."

Yep, that Islamic justice really works at holding down crime...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque