Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 AM

36 posts, read 215,448 times

Advertisements

I lived in West Texas for a bit and loved it (Grew up on the east coast but prefer the west). I think I'll pass on living in tornado alley however ha ha.
So I'm African American, and a Native American female, but I have like a soft bronze complexion so I may stand out a little lol.

~How prominent are interracial couples? (I'm always in an interracial relationship) Like, if people saw a black girl and a white guy, or a black girl and a spanish guy, would it be strange? (You can be honest lol)

~How are the monsoon storms? (I find thunderstorms scary yet exciting, but how severe do they get? Are there lightning fatalities? Do tornadoes occur? Is the wind crazy like it is in West Texas? ha ha)

~How is the job market? I'm currently in school for massage therapy (will be certified in a few months) and I give massages as well and was wondering if anyone knew if this job was in high demand in the ABQ area?

Any other info would be great!
Thank you <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty View Post
~How prominent are interracial couples? (I'm always in an interracial relationship) Like, if people saw a black girl and a white guy, or a black girl and a spanish guy, would it be strange? (You can be honest lol)
I've lived in this area 11 years and don't see it as a problem.

You might also read these threads:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...tionships.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...community.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ew-mexico.html
Quote:
~How are the monsoon storms? (I find thunderstorms scary yet exciting, but how severe do they get? Are there lightning fatalities? Do tornadoes occur? Is the wind crazy like it is in West Texas? ha ha)
Monsoons are OK, stay out of the arroyos (Ditches). We have a high rate of lightning fatalities, but with such a low population it is may one to three people a year (my guess). We don't have tornadoes. We have wind which is irritating but not as bad as some parts of Texas.
Come on out for a visit!

Rich

Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,841 times
i've only lived here for a month. but my guess is you won't stand out because of race. it's surprisingly diverse here. you see a lot of interracial couples. mostly white/latin, but also black/white. i think you'd be comfortable in that regard.

the "monsoons" aren't even as bad as a midwestern thunder storm. i'm sure you've seen worse in texas. i lived in vegas for almost 4 years, and i thought it was a joke when they called it monsoon season.

speaking of vegas, if you're a massage therapist, that may be somewhere you want to check out. i'm not sure about the job market here, but there are dozens if not hundreds of spas in vegas. you may also want to look into santa fe. i'm guessing there are more high end spas there than in albuquerque. assuming you want to work for a nice spa.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_beauty
I lived in West Texas for a bit and loved it
~How are the monsoon storms? ...
Is the wind crazy like it is in West Texas? ...
If you lived in West Texas and know about "crazy wind" then you
already know what it it like in New Mexico. The Monsoon storms
are pretty much the same.

Quote:
Do tornadoes occur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM
We don't have tornadoes.
I would say that we almost never have them. There was one in town
in the Uptown area in 1988 or something that caused minor damage to
a shopping center. There was also one that caused a traffic delay on
I-25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe in 2007. ==> Santo Domingo event

Quote:
~How prominent are interracial couples?
They are not noticeable. If you want to be noticed, talk loudly on your cellphone
and grope and smooch with each other in a socially irresponsible manner.

Quote:
Are there lightning fatalities?
Only for stupid people. If you make sure to stand out in the
open when there is a lightning event and hold a long metal
object above you, you will be protected from lightning.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM

36 posts, read 215,448 times
Thanks for all the answers everyone!! I appreciate it

Wow that video is interesting. :P Good thing tornadoes are rare
I'm not a stupid person, so I guess I'll be protected from lightning. :P

Hmm, high end spas in Santa Fe... definitely something to consider. I just though abq would give me more of a city feel with still the spice of the southwest...

What's the difference between ABQ and Santa Fe?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,841 times
you could live in albuquerque and commute. a lot of people do because they can't afford to live in santa fe. it's very small, but very affluent.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Quote:
I lived in West Texas for a bit and loved it (Grew up on the east coast but prefer the west). I think I'll pass on living in tornado alley however ha ha.
So I'm African American, and a Native American female, but I have like a soft bronze complexion so I may stand out a little lol.

~How is the job market? I'm currently in school for massage therapy (will be certified in a few months) and I give massages as well and was wondering if anyone knew if this job was in high demand in the ABQ area?

Any other info would be great!
Thank you <3

interracial couples are very common, if we are talking about hispanic/white, but white guy/black female is very rare, black guy/white girl is more common but not seen very often ,there really arnt that many blacks here, from what I have seen ABQ is very accepting, but then again how do you know if a place isnt accepting of interracial couples.

monsoons storms, I wouldnt even call them storms, just a little bit of rain for about 5 minutes. When it rains, it isnt very long. No tornadoes here. The wind isnt bad at all. Im from Eastern NM so I am familiar with the t-storms that you are familar with, I really miss those storms but a monsoon here is nothing like the thunderstorms in Eastern NM and West TX.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 11,678 times
Ginger, Im as white as they get and married to an African American. No issues whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque