Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

20 posts, read 68,084 times

Advertisements

When I was checking the weather forcasts this morning, I noticed it's going to be another really windy day in ABQ and it got me to thinking about the reliability of electrical service. Do many areas of the city, or the East Mountains, have power outages during these wind events?

The reason I ask is that in this part of FL it seems the power goes out every time we have heavy wind, or rain, or serious cold, or massive heat...heck, I think it goes out whenever someone at the power plant f@rts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
We've only been here 3 months but so far I've found the electricity to be more reliable than the other areas we've lived (Louisville, KY; Sacramento, CA; and Fairbanks, AK). Louisville was the worst with numerous although mostly short power outages each year, probably averaging one every couple of weeks. Think this has to do with overhead electric lines and lots of trees/branches that blow over the lines in high winds and during storms. Sacramento was next worst, due to not enough power plants and rolling blackouts.

We live in Rio Rancho and haven't had any power outage since we've been here even with the wind and storms that have come through. It's been a pleasant change from KY.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Rio Rancho, I can only recall one outage of note, maybe 15 minutes once in an 11 year period.

I really can't speak for the other areas. That does not seem to be a major issue in the ABQ area that I can recall.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
The more tall trees, the worse the problem. Luckily for my area, the power company is very good about keeping after trees and tree limbs that encroach on the power line easements. That doesn't keep an occasional tall tree that isn't on the easement from blowing over. Nor does it keep power poles themselves from blowing over, as was the case last week during a high wind event - and the downed power lines caused a 300 acre grass fire that closed the nearby highway temporarily. Even then the power company had power restored in a few hours time.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
I'm in the NE part of town, almost in the foothills, and even with the canyon winds, have not lost power.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
No above ground electric lines where I live.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon
I'm in the NE part of town, almost in the foothills, and
even with the canyon winds, have not lost power.
Same here.

At least, I have not lost power in the wind. I've lost it
inexplicably on a couple of calm days. From my experience
in Phoenix, you tend to lose power more often in a new area.
The storms blow through, the "weak links" break, and the
power company fixes them ( creating a new "weak link." )

What's really impressive is not losing my satellite signal
when it's really windy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: