Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 02:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

Hi I living in Sacramento, CA area. My husband and I are both RN's and we have two kids. We just started exploring the idea of relocating to Albuquerque. I did grow up there but I left after high school so I have no idea what normal life is like there as an adult. I visit frequently, but I am usually on vacation mode visiting all the nice places I want to visit. I was hoping there are some people who can help me answer a few questions:

-I have looked at many home listings in Albuquerque and the prices are all over the place based on the neighborhood location. I am having a hard time figuring out what we can afford there on 2 nursing incomes. California cost of living is higher for sure, but nurses make a whole lot more here so we can afford a pretty nice home. Here I can afford a $500,000-$650,000 home....I understand that is outrageous in Albuquerque, so Im just trying to figure out what is a realistic equivalent.Could anybody tell me what the average mortgage an RN in Albuquerque can afford? (two nursing incomes or something equivalent..my husband has been the charge RN in the ER for the last 6 years. I am a home health nurse. various other experience for both of us...as I know this will determine how much we can get paid)

-Can anyone speak on their favorite neighborhoods? I grew up in NE heights. NW was barely starting to develop into anything at all so I have no idea about that area at all, I love the Sandia Heights area and we also have been thinking about living on the east side of the mountain (this is what my husband wants. although it does seem lovely...it seems so foriegn to me as I am used to Albuquerque living feeling a certain way and looking at the mountains from the west side) North Valley seems nice on the internet but homes are very pricey. (please mention the area that you live in if you reply...I have noticed that some people who go on about negatives in ABQ and they may live in a horrible area. My time in the NE heights was good for the most part....but I was a kid)

-If we were to live in the East Mountains, does anyone have anything to tell me about pros or cons?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/a...17_KO12,28.htm

https://allnurses.com/new-mexico-nursing/page4.html

As a nurse I am sure you already know about these sites. Allnurses is excellent.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 08-05-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 PM

170 posts, read 252,376 times
I’d like to follow this thread. I’m also a NorCal nurse who is planning an ABQ move this fall. I’m from Buffalo, NY but have lived in Alamogordo and Clovis for short periods of time. We have been in NorCal the last several years. We are finding out we can get 1700-2300 sq ft for under 300k in ABQ. We visited for a long weekend last month and did some scouting. My husband lived many years in NM but hasn’t been to ABQ on the NW side in ages. He could not get over how it’s grown!!
Looking around a bit it seems I’ll take about a 25-30k a year pay cut with the move. When I figured out taxes, cost of living, quality of life, and being closer to family...it’s a good move.
Best wishes on your research and potential move!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
Hi AugustRN,

I am still waiting for some more replies on this. Hopefully someone replies soon. My on-line research told me that nurses in Albuquerque seems to make about half of what we do here in NorCal, but the cost of living is only about 17% less. But of course there are ways of trying to make a little more depending on what job you get. We will also go on a scouting trip in October and check out some houses and other things. I can report back after that :-)

Old 08-12-2018, 01:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapishRN View Post

-If we were to live in the East Mountains, does anyone have anything to tell me about pros or cons?
The East Mountains is comprised of Tijeras, Cedar Crest, Sandia Park, Edgewood, Moriarty, and other surrounding areas in New Mexico. East Mountain Regional Chamber of Commerce - Home

Here are two threads pertaining to the East Mountains:

East Mountains
East Mountains - Thoughts on crime.....
Moving to Tijeras, Edgewood, Pecos, Sandia Park, Cedar Crest, or Jemez Springs
Tell Me About The Tijeras Area
Possibly Moving to Cedar Crest, But Work In Albuquerque
Edgewood, NM
Information on Moriarty, NM?
Info on Moriarty
Between ABQ and Moriarty
Is Cedar Crest considered a suburb of Albuquerque?
Corrales vs. Los Lunas vs. Sandia Park
Sandia Park

We have never lived in the East Mountains. We know people who have.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-12-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 AM

548 posts, read 1,218,069 times
-I have looked at many home listings in Albuquerque and the prices are all over the place based on the neighborhood location. I am having a hard time figuring out what we can afford there on 2 nursing incomes. California cost of living is higher for sure, but nurses make a whole lot more here so we can afford a pretty nice home. Here I can afford a $500,000-$650,000 home....I understand that is outrageous in Albuquerque, so Im just trying to figure out what is a realistic equivalent.Could anybody tell me what the average mortgage an RN in Albuquerque can afford? (two nursing incomes or something equivalent..my husband has been the charge RN in the ER for the last 6 years. I am a home health nurse. various other experience for both of us...as I know this will determine how much we can get paid)
I have no idea what RNs make here. If you look at job postings that you and your husband are qualified for, that would get you the best idea. From there, you can figure out how much you can afford in housing and you can post here asking about housing in the $___ price range, which is something people on CD are much more equipped to help you with. Since you mentioned below that you might make half what you could make in CA, then a very rough guess would be housing in the $250-300k range.

-Can anyone speak on their favorite neighborhoods? I grew up in NE heights. NW was barely starting to develop into anything at all so I have no idea about that area at all, I love the Sandia Heights area and we also have been thinking about living on the east side of the mountain (this is what my husband wants. although it does seem lovely...it seems so foriegn to me as I am used to Albuquerque living feeling a certain way and looking at the mountains from the west side) North Valley seems nice on the internet but homes are very pricey. (please mention the area that you live in if you reply...I have noticed that some people who go on about negatives in ABQ and they may live in a horrible area. My time in the NE heights was good for the most part....but I was a kid)
I have lived in the La Cueva school district the whole time I have lived in Albuquerque. You mention having two kids but you haven't mentioned school districts. Where did you go to school while you were here? Are school districts important to you? (IMO they should be). What is your plan in that respect? (Private? Public?) As you probably already know, the public school system here isn't the best. Since it doesn't sound like you plan on putting your kids in private school (which can be very $$$) I would encourage you to consider housing in the best school district you can afford. I would recommend the La Cueva school district, but if that stretches your budget, Rio Rancho can be a good pick (though you have to live with a commute unless you plan on working at RUST or some other place closer to the west side).

Some people love the east mountains. I would never consider it. Commuting to work every day through that part of I-40, especially in the winter and monsoon season is not something I would want to take on when you don't have to. I also don't get the allure of the east mountains either. Not convenient (you have to go to Albuquerque for most things), the schools and other services are not great (just what I have heard), and just not my vibe. Unless you two just love it there for whatever reason (it doesn't sound like you do), I would check it off your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque