Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,395 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's strange to order wine (mainly, white wine) at a bar/club, and asking for it in a standard glass (like in a rocks glass)? As opposed to a wine glass?

I just feel strange hanging out with friends who are all drinking beers and mixed cocktails, and me with this glass of wine. I'm more of a beer drinker, but would like to occasionally try out wines at bars/pubs. Wine glasses are off-putting to me. Will the bartender look at me strange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 11:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Why are wine glasses offputting? The reason that different wine glasses are shaped as they are shaped is to allow the wine to interact properly with the air and allow oxidation at the appropriate rate. Much like other fruit-based things, wine's flavors change quickly (far more quickly than other alcoholic beverages) with exposure to air, so there's more of a reason for the glasses than just the aesthetics.

You can drink wine out of a mason jar or a coffee mug, but it's going to hit the air differently than in the appropriately shaped glass for that particular variety, and oxidize differently, therefore tasting different. That's why it's not typically served in whatever glass.

The main issue with getting wine at a place that doesn't prioritize wine as a big mover (as most clubs and standard issue bars) is that unless the place is specifically a wine bar, you're not going to get very good wine. You're going to get a basic table wine, the Bud Light of wine, if you will.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM

70 posts, read 178,468 times
Yeah, wine in bars are actually just the common ones and very basic. It is obviously fine since many bar drinkers would not really mind what's in it as long as it keeps them high... or low.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Why are wine glasses offputting? The reason that different wine glasses are shaped as they are shaped is to allow the wine to interact properly with the air and allow oxidation at the appropriate rate.

I just feel weird walking around with a long-stemmed wine glass in, say, an Irish pub. I really don't taste much of a difference what sort of container the wine comes in.

I was just wondering if this would come across as strange if I ordered wine at a bar/club, and asked for it in a regular glass tumbler.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Hey ~ It's your drink ~ you get it the way you want it! Don't take any crap. Tell them how you want it and if they give you any flack just look at them like you're Dirty Harry.
I used to go to the bar and order, "a pitcher of kamikazes, shot to death with club soda" and drink it out of the pitcher. Delicious!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
The bell or tulip shaped glass concentrates and focuses the aromas. you should smell your wine before you drink it otherwise you are not actually even tasting the full range of flavor of the wine, and if you are not tasting the whole flavour profile of the wine, you may as well drink anything else that will give you the buzz you are after.

The same with beer. If a beer other than a very pale, light lager or pale ale is served much below cellar temperature, it is too cold and the flavour is diminished. What's the point?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM

If I'm walking around an Irish pub, I'm guaranteeing you that it's not wine I'm drinking, it's stout or whiskey. If you're looking for a change of pace, why not go for a nice hard cider? Crisp, refreshing, and generally served in the same pint glasses as the stouts and lagers. I recommend Magners (labeled Bulmers in Ireland), if you can find it...dry-ish, not incredibly sweet, the way some American ciders can be, but essence of apple none the less.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The same with beer. If a beer other than a very pale, light lager or pale ale is served much below cellar temperature, it is too cold and the flavour is diminished. What's the point?
Yes...this is one reason why overly chilled Guinness (as it's always served in the U.S.) tastes markedly different than the same stuff poured in Ireland, where it's just a little cooler than room temp. You lose the caramelized, roasty taste of dark beers and stouts when they're too chilled.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If I'm walking around an Irish pub, I'm guaranteeing you that it's not wine I'm drinking, it's stout or whiskey. If you're looking for a change of pace, why not go for a nice hard cider? Crisp, refreshing, and generally served in the same pint glasses as the stouts and lagers. I recommend Magners (labeled Bulmers in Ireland), if you can find it...dry-ish, not incredibly sweet, the way some American ciders can be, but essence of apple none the less.

That's my dilemma. I like Irish pubs (my work goes to an Irish pub every Thursday for a happy hour), but I'm trying to cut back on beer, and go for either wine, or a mixed drink that goes down smooth. I also like White Russians, Black Russians, and am looking at other stuff i can order.

How about if I order an Amaretto on-the-rocks? Is this weird, because Amaretto is only used for mixed drinks?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
You seem to be hung up on how you will be perceived by a bartender for ordering what you want. The bartender's job is to fix you your drink - who cares if he thinks you're a weirdo? Look on the bright side - he'll have a much easier time remembering what you drink if you frequent the place often.

Just drink what you like - if it's wine from an on the rocks glass, or Amaretto in a highball glass with a lime twist, a fuzzy navel served in a coconut shell - whatever floats your boat. Like stated earlier, a bar is not really a place where a wine connoisseur would order wine anyways as their selection is on the crummy side. When I go to a bar I drink the Corona out of the bottle and couldn't give a fat frog's ass what anyone thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages