Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 PM

7,308 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

I'm not much of a drinker but occasionally there is nothing I like better than a pina colada. However, I can't find cream of coconut in the local stores - I can only find Grace's Pure Creamed Coconut, which comes in a box and is a dehydrated form of coconut.

The instructions say to add water to make coconut milk, but can I make a substitute for cream of coconut with creamed coconut by using less water?

I also think that cream of coconut has sugar added, so I presumably would have to make a sugar syrup for pina coladas?

Any help gratefully appreciated. I have tried pina colada mixes before and wasn't all that happy with them. They never seemed to taste as good as those I've had in Mexico, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
In a word, no, you cant do that have have the cocktail come out correctly.
You gotta use this;

Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut

Accept no substitutes!
2 parts pineapple juice to 1 part Coco Lopez, whizzed up in a blender=perfect pina colada.
(I used to be a bartender.)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Okay. Thanks. I put out an SOS to my sister in the city in the hopes of bribing her with my pool and a pina colada - if she brings me the cream of coconut. The weekend is supposed to be hot and humid so one or the other, or both in combination will hopefully work.

And another stupid question if I may: how much rum do I put into the recipe as you posted it?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Okay. Thanks. I put out an SOS to my sister in the city in the hopes of bribing her with my pool and a pina colada - if she brings me the cream of coconut. The weekend is supposed to be hot and humid so one or the other, or both in combination will hopefully work.

And another stupid question if I may: how much rum do I put into the recipe as you posted it?
Heres the basic recipe; 1 large can of pineapple juice to 1 can of Coco Lopez, its a standard sized can, that make a gallon of pina colada mix.
If I had any idea how many you wish to make, I can scale it down for you.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Ahh...we all have a Pina Colada recipe...I like mine the best...

One can of Coco Lopez
One bottle of Sprite
One half gallon pineapple sherbert

let the party start! I have also used one can of pineapple juice and one half gallon of vanilla ice cream...yummy!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Heres the basic recipe; 1 large can of pineapple juice to 1 can of Coco Lopez, its a standard sized can, that make a gallon of pina colada mix.
If I had any idea how many you wish to make, I can scale it down for you.
A gallon sounds real good about now . But there would actually probably be only my sister and myself and probably my husband, and I'm guessing that my sister and I would have one drink each, and my husband would have two.

If you don't mind answering another question, how long does the mixture described above keep? I wouldn't mind having the basic mix on hand so that if another pina colada moment strikes me, I have it on hand.

Thanks so much.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
A gallon sounds real good about now . But there would actually probably be only my sister and myself and probably my husband, and I'm guessing that my sister and I would have one drink each, and my husband would have two.

If you don't mind answering another question, how long does the mixture described above keep? I wouldn't mind having the basic mix on hand so that if another pina colada moment strikes me, I have it on hand.

Thanks so much.
The Coco Lopez keeps much longer than the juice, so if I were limited by my guests, I would do this;
Authentic Pina Colada recipe
This recipe is light on the pineapple, I would increase it.
Make sure you thoroughly shake up the coconut cream, as it has a tendency to separate.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 AM

512 posts, read 947,587 times
I usually find the creme of coconut in the drug stores like CVS or Rite Aide. I am now using Coco Real brand of creme of coconut which I like as it comes in a squeeze bottle.

Here's my recipe for a blender that makes three drinks:

1 shot rum per drink
2 big squeezes of Coco Real
1 small banana (peeled of course lol)
two handfuls of fresh cut up pineapple
approx 12 ounces pineapple juice

garnish: wedges of pineapple, umbrella toothpicks and straws

Blend until smooth, add lots of ice to blender (I use my maragarita maker) and blend well until ice is crushed. Pour into tall glass or hollowed out pineapple; stick umbrella toothpick into pineapple wedge and place on edge of glass; add straw and find a nice place to relax!!

Dang now I want one but it's too late! Tomorrow =)

Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 12,769 times
Interestingly....Coco Lopez (the makers of the ONLY cream of coconut that I would EVER recommend) has the recipe on their website as 1 part Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut and 1 part pineapple juice.
Here it is, straight from their website:

2 ounces Coco Lopez ® Cream of Coconut
2 Ounces pineapple juice
1½ ounces Cruzan Estate ® Light Rum
1 cup of ice

Mix in blender until smooth

As for the light rum in the recipe above... there are also other great brands of light rums that can be used. Some people like using dark rum or a mix of light and dark rum. But one thing is for sure...no matter if you choose light rum, dark rum, or both in your recipe...a "cheap" rum makes for a mediocre Pina Colada at best. Buy, at least, a "good" grade of rum. You won't be sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages