Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 PM

81 posts, read 350,005 times

Advertisements

Anyone got some good cooking with beer secrets they would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,132 times
Hi Thunder -

I use a dash of beer to make a quick sauce, rather than rich gravies & only if I'm going to drink the rest of the beer.

If I fry anything, after I remove from pan, I turn the heat to med-high & pour about 1/4C water into the pan to loosen the browned pieces. You want it to be really hot so steam rises through the whole process. Then add a small piece of butter for flavor, salt, pepper, let it bubble up & add about 1/8-1/4C beer (Guinness is great as it's a heartier flavor). The whole process takes 1-1/2 min & it's a nice tasty sauce. If it's a large pan as I'm cooking for others, I'll also thicken the sauce slightly with scant flour if it needs it.

I'm starving. ... VV

Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,639 times
My wife makes these hot dogs where she cuts little slices in them, puts them in plastic bags with beer, and then vaccuum seals them, litteraly forcing the beer into the hot dog. They taste great.

Personally, I cook hamburgers while drinking a beer. I know that's a good combo...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
The only way to cook shrimp is in a pan in which you've poured a full can of beer, nothing else. You get a nice flavor that's not watery.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Sticking a can over your fave fizzy yellow beer up a chicken is the best way to cook it.

When doing hamburgers and steaks, when the flames get too high I pour a beer over them (close the lid real quick) and they get steamed and thats not only best smell youll ever experience, but adds good flavour too.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Pork loin in "dark beer" sauce with duchess potatoes
For our winter cooking suggestion we've taken a delicious pork loin recipe, which could also be served as a festive Christmas meal. The duchess potatoes involve a bit of work, but the effort is certainly worth it! The meal can be enjoyed best with an ERDINGER "dark" beer or a refreshing ERDINGER "snow-white" specialty beer.

Ingredients (4 persons)
1 kg pork loin
4 tsp. clarified butter
Salt, pepper, paprika seasoning
Ground caraway
1/2 l ERDINGER Weissbier "dark"
1/2 l gravy
200 g creme fraîche

For the duchess potatoes
1 kg potatoes
200 g butter
Salt, grated nutmeg
6 egg yolks

Brown the pork loin on all sides in hot clarified butter. Drain off the fat and season with salt, pepper, paprika and caraway. Then add the beer and gravy, and simmer for 10 minutes. Take the meat out and keep warm. Blend the creme fraîche into the sauce and add further seasoning if required. Cut the meat into slices and serve with the sauce.

For the duchess potatoes: peel and boil the potatoes, then press them while still hot through a ricer. Beat in the butter, salt, ground nutmeg and five egg yolks until smooth. Pipe the mixture into small rosettes on a buttered baking tray and coat with the remained, beaten egg yolks. Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 220°C for about 10 minutes.

We recommend a fresh salad as starter and princess beans as vegetables.

The above was taken from Welcome to Erdinger Weissbräu! My friend made that and its goooooooooodooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
Drunk Chicken:

You need a grill, a whole chicken, and an American lager in a can.
Cover the chicken in Montreal Steak Seasoning. Open the beer can, and put it "inside" the chicken (whatever you call that area), and stand the chicken upright on your grill.

Grill the chicken until the beer can empties, and the chicken falls over on its side. Hence, "Drunk Chicken".

Obviously, don't let it fall on the ground.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,534 times
marinate steaks in it over night, your meat will be fantastic!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Add a bottle to your chili. The taste is subtle, but delicious. This is a good way to use up cheap beer that somehow made it into the fridge, perhaps from misguided but well-meaning guests.

Chop an onion and put it in the bottom of the crock pot; add salt and pepper to taste. Layer pork chops in the pot, and cover them with beer, cook 6 to 8 hours on low.

Beer bread is really moist and tasty, but I don't have a recipe handy.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,583 times
To steam seafood use one can beer, a couple cups of water, and a cup of vinegar, instead of just plain water. Makes it much tastier. Oh, that and dumping some old bay seaoning on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages