Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times

Advertisements

Do you think this will ever catch on in the US? I mean I can see a definite trend of increasing wine consumption in the US since I was younger. Do you think cider will ever start to become a more widely consumed drink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Do you think this will ever catch on in the US? I mean I can see a definite trend of increasing wine consumption in the US since I was younger. Do you think cider will ever start to become a more widely consumed drink?
It's beginning to catch an edge. English ciders have been on the market here forever, but sell in small quantities. And there have been a couple of domestic ciders than have gained a little following. But now Crippin cider is beginning to be marketed like a beer, and that will drive up the market.

What a lot of people don't realize is that cider was the working man's alcoholic beverage of choice in the United States until the Industrial Revolution, when large scale beer breweries became feasible, and German immigrants created a market for it. Ale and lager had been brewed long before that, but it was expensive compared to cider.

Another thing not widely known is that Johnny Appleseed planted cider apples, and then built cider presses, a by-product of which is apple seeds, which he planted and sold the seedlings, and so on. It was all about the cider, not the apple pies of Disney imaginings.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times
It's catching on a bit. I really like Leprechaun Cider. I think there are some cider places in Austin that are doing varieties.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Haven't tried any Crispin, but don't they sell four packs instead of six? Not a fan of that.

Yeah I knew the US hadn't been a beer country until the late 1800s, but I had thought it was a liquor country before that with whiskey and applejack being the favorites and wine and imported liquor for very special occaions. Then like I said it seems to be moving towards being more of a wine country now.

I tried getting into drinking recently, and cider has been what I settled on. Beer just tasted awful to me, and the funny thing was most of the beer drinkers I knew said they thought the same but after a year or so with grinning and bearing the taste they came to like it.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Yeah I knew the US hadn't been a beer country until the late 1800s, but I had thought it was a liquor country before that with whiskey and applejack being the favorites and wine and imported liquor for very special occaions.
Whiskey has been made since the early days, yes. George Washington owned the largest distillery in the new country after the Revolution, and it was the source of his wealth. And rum was made in large quantities in Boston and other eastern locations.

But cider was the go-to beverage of working man for a simple reason... it was a cheap tipple, and very easy to make at home.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:38 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Cider is a nice change of pace from beer. I prefer the drier types but a Strongbow on occasion is good.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I have not tried very many types. The kind I did try, did not care for, it was way too tart. BUT I did try some pear cider once, it was very good. I have to try hard apple cider again.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
Haven't tried any Crispin, but don't they sell four packs instead of six? Not a fan of that.
But, in defense of Crispin, it is made from fresh pressed apple juice, not concentrate. Also, I find the taste is crisper, not overly syrupy like lots of cider. Their peary is good. Overall, I don't drink much cider, but Crispin is the best in my opinion. They also have some crazier offerings which are lots of fun.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
I'm just ambivalent about most ciders. They tend to taste too much of alcohol and too little of apples. Too dry, I guess. I recently found a really great cider though, called JK's Scrumpy Hard Cider (scrumpy is apparently a style). Appletastic!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,503 times
Here in Australia cider has become huge in the last few years. Dozens of brands and varieties are available with more being constantly introduced. We have everything from apple and pear ciders to things like Raspberry, lime, strawberry, blackcurrant, boysenberry, honey apple, passionfruit, mango, guava, vanilla plus various combinations of these flavours. I've even seen cinnamon flavoured cider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages