Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the USA currently produce the best beer in the world?
Yes 26 40.63%
No 38 59.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Very subjective topic, i like beer and while some good ones are made in the USA my favorites come from England and Begium
Of course it's subjective. All opinions are by nature. But that doesn't mean it can't be argued. Plus, there is plenty of evidence to support America's brewing supremacy. There's plenty of good arguments for Europe's too...that's what makes it interesting.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 06-13-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Ridiculous. There are only a handful of home brewers who can make a beer that rivals the best craft brewers. And none of them are brewing kit beers.
I never said homebrews rival the products of craftbrewers. I simply stated I appreciate the freshness, considering the fact that the yeast is still alive. While the craft brewers have wonderful recipes that a kit could never touch, the beer still tastes quite dead.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,666 times
Yes, because of the variety, which is surprisingly extremely limited in Europe.

I can't find Belgian beer on tap in Germany, and can't find Heffeweizen in Belgium, but I can find both in the USA.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:19 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I think the Germans and Belgians have us still beat in a handful of styles but the U.S. has the best overall title.

You can't beat a good German Bock or Hefeweizen. Belgian Flanders ale and Lambics are better than any american counterpart. But I think we do Stouts, IPA, Brown ale, Porter and Barleywine better than anyone, particularly IPAs.

Right now I'd have to say my favorite brewery is Lagunitas. Followed very closely by Founders and Stone. With Bell's coming in 4th.

But I have to travel 4 hours to Belgium to find a Belgian ale. And if I lived in Belgium I would have to travel into Germany to find a good Bock or Heffeweizen. Hell, I can't even find a single Bock in Germany because I don't live in Bavaria, and Europeans are very protectionist by nature. The end result: being stuck with the same 2 choices Friday night after Friday night barhopping in Germany: locally brewed crappy generic pilsner vs. the locally brewed Heffeweizen. That's it.

But I can find all these styles of beers--on tap, mind you--in about several dozen bars in Washington DC alone. Either imported or domestic craft variations.

Did you know the only place you can find a decent Belgian Chimay in Germany is on US military bases? Hell, that's probably the ONLY Belgian beer you can find in Germany.

USA wins, hands down.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Lots of beer out there and ratings would indicate USA being the major player in this link anyway.
RateBeer Best 2013 : The People Choose The Best Beers in the World | RateBeer.com
however many of these beers arent readily available as most are regional craft and micro brewers some as small as a brew pub..
Whats needed is a nationwide outlet store that just sells beer.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
But I have to travel 4 hours to Belgium to find a Belgian ale. And if I lived in Belgium I would have to travel into Germany to find a good Bock or Heffeweizen. Hell, I can't even find a single Bock in Germany because I don't live in Bavaria, and Europeans are very protectionist by nature. The end result: being stuck with the same 2 choices Friday night after Friday night barhopping in Germany: locally brewed crappy generic pilsner vs. the locally brewed Heffeweizen. That's it.

But I can find all these styles of beers--on tap, mind you--in about several dozen bars in Washington DC alone. Either imported or domestic craft variations.

Did you know the only place you can find a decent Belgian Chimay in Germany is on US military bases? Hell, that's probably the ONLY Belgian beer you can find in Germany.

USA wins, hands down.
I'd agree with that for the most part. The few times I've traveled to Europe they tended to have mostly their own local stuff.

Ironic that we have more of Europes best brews available here then they do.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Sure they do.

You can find them in the Import section.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I like Canadian beer. My favourite is Fin du Monde by Unibroue.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Locally brewed beers in the US can be good--locally we have one called Sam Adams that's excellent and has seasonal brews.

But for the most part the real beer comes from Germany or the British isles.
England has some great beers.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of beer out there and ratings would indicate USA being the major player in this link anyway.
RateBeer Best 2013 : The People Choose The Best Beers in the World | RateBeer.com
however many of these beers arent readily available as most are regional craft and micro brewers some as small as a brew pub..
Whats needed is a nationwide outlet store that just sells beer.
Major player? These ratings are pretty definitive proof that we have the greatest brews. At least 90% of those winners are American beers. Only the Belgian style we lack any cred in...at the moment. I think we are at the top but maybe not quite as much as that list implies. Also, ratebeer is probably aimed more at American brews. Still, all in all I'd say we are the champs right now. I wonder if this will spur a European craft movement of their own? Seems kinda weird to say European craft beer since they have always had quality brews though. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages