Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:50 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,893 times

Advertisements

i always get so worked up and never know what to order. usually just fall back on a whisky and diet coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 07:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Depends on what is being offered. Usually an open bar has minimal options on alcohol to keep costs down. My standby is always a Skinny Jack as well. Good buzz, little caffeine to keep me awake for the party and doesn't bloat me like beer.

However I do enjoy a nice gin martini, old fashioned, gimlet and a variety of real man drinks on occasion. Most likely though I'm going to have to pay for those.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Depends on what is being offered. Usually an open bar has minimal options on alcohol to keep costs down. My standby is always a Skinny Jack as well. Good buzz, little caffeine to keep me awake for the party and doesn't bloat me like beer.

However I do enjoy a nice gin martini, old fashioned, gimlet and a variety of real man drinks on occasion. Most likely though I'm going to have to pay for those.
skinny jack i assume is jack and diet?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
Normally mostly beer, depending on the varieties, just like what I drink when I am paying. I don't really change because someone else is paying for it. Sometimes I'll get a mixed drink, like a capirinha or mojito.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:00 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
We'll always hope to get a Manhattan, but sometimes they don't have anything as exotic as sweet vermouth. Otherwise, we have wine (hoping whomever ordered it has actually tasted wine before).

Old 07-10-2015, 10:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Usually beer. Open bar or not doesn't make a difference.

I tend to drink beer more slowly and keep a better pace. Most cocktails are too easy to toss back over the course of a long evening, and I don't like getting sloppy.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:47 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Usually beer. Open bar or not doesn't make a difference.

I tend to drink beer more slowly and keep a better pace. Most cocktails are too easy to toss back over the course of a long evening, and I don't like getting sloppy.
agreed on your points. I also generally like the taste of beer better than cocktails.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:50 AM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
7up.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:11 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Dry red wine with dinner; possibly a Bloody Mary or a gin and tonic (if they have some decent gin on hand). If I'm not driving, I would probably have a straight shot or two as well before the night is over.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
agreed on your points. I also generally like the taste of beer better than cocktails.
There are select hard liquors and cocktails I enjoy.

A lot of them (like really high quality Scotch) are not necessarily expected to be commonly found at the average wedding reception open bar, and some, like Margaritas, are pretty situationally specific for me.

But I pretty much always love a beer.

I enjoy wine, but for me, it's more something I drink when I'm relaxing and unwinding, not dancing, mingling and being social. So it's not my first pick at a wedding reception, except for a champagne toast or something. Also, wine is very hit and miss as to whether or not it triggers acid reflux for me, so I tend to not risk it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages