Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times

Advertisements

Dermatologist or allergist is better? I've been to three dermatologists for summer hives and rashes and provided treatments for the symptoms but not given an answer to what is causing it.

I did some skin prick allergy testing at an allergist years ago and can rule out anything airborne related to plants, pollen or animals.

So I'm guessing it's something I eat or drink in the summer only or some kind of contact dermatitis.

It typically is worst in July or August.

Any ideas?

Last edited by 495neighbor; 08-15-2016 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
You may never find out. I had chronic idiopathic urticaria and angioedema for 20 years - never found all the triggers. There are online support groups that you can check out that may give you ideas. Some of mine I figured out was pressure-induced, so I'm careful not to sit on hard surfaces, stand on ladders without good shoes, or wear tight clothing.

Don't take prednisone, the side effects are worse than the hives. It may be stress, it may be the heat too. Best of luck.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:07 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
What do you do in Summers that you don't do the rest of the year? Go in chlorinated pools maybe? I have been allergic to bleach since childhood. When we lived in NY, I had hives only in the Summer. We had a backyard pool that I went in with my kids. Chlorine = "Bleach". When we took away the pool, no more hives in the Summer.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You may never find out. I had chronic idiopathic urticaria and angioedema for 20 years - never found all the triggers. There are online support groups that you can check out that may give you ideas. Some of mine I figured out was pressure-induced, so I'm careful not to sit on hard surfaces, stand on ladders without good shoes, or wear tight clothing.

Don't take prednisone, the side effects are worse than the hives. It may be stress, it may be the heat too. Best of luck.
I'm nervous about any long term use of any cortisone. I have a prescription the dermatologist gave me for topically applied corticortisone. I was only supposed to use it for two weeks, then follow up and get more testing if I still had the condition which they diagnosed as eczema. Now, the office is telling me to use it as needed. I worry this could cause side effects long term. I've stopped using the creme and am just gutting out the itchies until I find out the cause.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What do you do in Summers that you don't do the rest of the year? Go in chlorinated pools maybe? I have been allergic to bleach since childhood. When we lived in NY, I had hives only in the Summer. We had a backyard pool that I went in with my kids. Chlorine = "Bleach". When we took away the pool, no more hives in the Summer.
I haven't been in a pool in a long time. Though I do know Massachusetts tends to chlorinate water supply more heavily due to wildlife, especially geese, and avoiding e-coli outbreaks in the summer. Would a skin allergy test be able to determine if this was the cause?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I'm nervous about any long term use of any cortisone. I have a prescription the dermatologist gave me for topically applied corticortisone. I was only supposed to use it for two weeks, then follow up and get more testing if I still had the condition which they diagnosed as eczema. Now, the office is telling me to use it as needed. I worry this could cause side effects long term. I've stopped using the creme and am just gutting out the itchies until I find out the cause.
I battled hives for 20 years, so I understand. Keep a food diary and see if you can find the triggers on your own. Find an online support group and read, read, read - you may find something there. I've seen diets that let you eat simply and identify trigger foods. Also, some are heat induced, cold induced or pressure induced. Do you have any other symptoms or are you taking any other meds? Any changes in your life in the month before they started? Dental work? Stress?

Find other ways to reduce the itching. I used ice cubes most of the time.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,148 times
One friend is allergic to peppers, my wife after we got married used to have outbreaks from hot showers because I like showers hot and she was not used to them being that hot.

I break out from pill forms of most medicines as well as hard pill forms of vitamins, from being out in the sun, from stress, there are so many triggers, since the op says it happens most during July and August, look for changes to your life in those months, like are you out in the sun more or do you sweat more during those months. My whole life I never knew I had this problem until I was in my 40's and the cardio doctor told me to start taking baby aspirin, once those built up in my system it triggered the hives, learning what to avoid prevents having outbreaks as often.

I also find that Natures Bounty probiotics capsules daily before taking any pills and grape seed extract daily seems to help.

Hope you get it under control...

Old 08-19-2016, 06:43 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Many have skin issues with fluorides and MOST public waters are fluoridated. That's just the skin, hate to think what it's doing to our insides.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many have skin issues with fluorides and MOST public waters are fluoridated. That's just the skin, hate to think what it's doing to our insides.
Agreed, our teeth our water. Those awful fluoride treatments they used to give kids made me sick to my stomach.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
One friend is allergic to peppers, my wife after we got married used to have outbreaks from hot showers because I like showers hot and she was not used to them being that hot.

I break out from pill forms of most medicines as well as hard pill forms of vitamins, from being out in the sun, from stress, there are so many triggers, since the op says it happens most during July and August, look for changes to your life in those months, like are you out in the sun more or do you sweat more during those months. My whole life I never knew I had this problem until I was in my 40's and the cardio doctor told me to start taking baby aspirin, once those built up in my system it triggered the hives, learning what to avoid prevents having outbreaks as often.

I also find that Natures Bounty probiotics capsules daily before taking any pills and grape seed extract daily seems to help.

Hope you get it under control...

I do take more pseudoephedrine and low dose aspirin during my allergy months due to sinus. I'll try your suggestions with the grape seed extract and probiotics to see if there is any improvement.

What do I do differently in July and August. Definitely out in the sun more. More walks in the woods and with that a small use of insect repellent. More consumption of fish, fresh fruit. A little more consumption of salty snacks, ice cream, gatorade.

Maybe something that blooms or breeds. Lots of gypsy moths and ladybugs near my home in these months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies