Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM

38 posts, read 63,308 times

Advertisements

The best thing people can do right now is tell their doctors about the concept so that the doctors can research it and integrate it with the other treatments. Right now it seems that there is a gap between the research and what most doctors are aware of. Bogus diet methods are not helping as doctors are trained to treat patients to avoid them. A vegan diet did not work for steve jobs but I don't think there was any scientific research that suggest it would. Also he over fasted which causes your muscles and fats the be digested and raises blood sugar. Achieving pure ketosis is a little tricky. MCT oil, coconut oil, and grass fed cultured butter are good for this. You have to have the right amount of fats versus proteins and each person is different so a doctor should help dial a person in. Some people cannot use a keto diet including people with certain types of diabetes as it can lead to ketoacidosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:36 AM

194 posts, read 251,961 times
The key is that it is a calorie restricted one with low protein (10-15%) to minimize glutamine. Professor Seyfried also recommends sodium phenylbutyrate, 2-Deoxy-D-glucose and hyperbaric oxygen (3 times a week). Also adding other drugs could help too. That said a PET scan uses radioactive labeled glucose to show tumors and these stop that, so it shouldn't be relied on the track there growth, you should have CAT, MRI and/or blood tests as well

Old 11-08-2014, 01:09 AM

124 posts, read 211,719 times
Cancer cells can use sugars, some amino acids, lactate or ketones as a fuel source.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Yes, cancer cells do thrive when there is a lack of oxygen.
That is incorrect. That was hypothesized back in the early 1900s but has since been disproven. Today we know that cancer cells die if there is a lack of oxygen, that oxygen promotes cancer growth, that cancer cells derive at least 50% of their energy production from oxidative phosphorylation that is oxygen dependent and that cancer cells have a higher affinity for oxygen than healthy cells.

Reliance of cancer cells on oxygen:

Oxygen Consumption Can Regulate the Growth of Tumors, a New Perspective on the Warburg Effect. PLoS One 2009 Sep 15;4(9):e7033

Choosing between glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation: a tumor's dilemma? Biochim Biophys Acta 2011 Jun;1807(6):552-61

Comparison of Metabolic Pathways between Cancer Cells and Stromal Cells in Colorectal Carcinomas: a Metabolic Survival Role for Tumor-Associated Stroma. Cancer Res January 15, 2006 66;632

Akt Stimulates Aerobic Glycolysis in Cancer Cells. Cancer Res June 1, 2004 64; 3892

That cancer growth is inhibited by low oxygen levels an die in the absence of oxygen:

Oxygen consumption can regulate the growth of tumors, a new perspective on the Warburg effect. PLoS One 2009 Sep 15;4(9):e7033

Anoxia is necessary for tumor cell toxicity caused by a low-oxygen environment. Cancer Res 2005 Apr 15;65(8):3171-8

Relationship between oxygen and glucose consumption by transplanted tumors in vivo. Cancer Res 1967 Jun;27(6):1041-52

Death of cancer cells by lack of oxygen and angiogensis stimulation to increase the growth rate of tumors by increasing oxygen levels to the tumor:

Computational models of VEGF-associated angiogenic processes in cancer. Math Med Biol 2012 Mar;29(1):85-94

Blood Flow, Oxygen Consumption, and Tissue Oxygenation of Human Breast Cancer Xenografts in Nude Rats. Cancer Res 47, 3496-3503, July 1,1987

A Mathematical Model for the Diffusion of Tumour Angiogenesis Factor into the Surrounding Host. Tissue Math Med Biol (1991) 8 (3): 191-220

The History of Tumour Angiogenesis as a Therapeutic Target. University of Toronto Medical Journal Vol 87, No 1 (2009)

The higher affinity for oxygen by cancer cells than healthy cells:

Utilization of Oxygen by Transplanted Tumors in Vivo. Cancer Res 1967;27:1020-1030

Growth-related changes of oxygen consumption rates of tumor cells grown in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Physiol 1989 Jan;138(1):183-91

Old 11-08-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I have not had cancer myself; however, in my interest in alternative medicine/health I have come across a couple interesting things (that are low-cost, relatively easy, low risk, etc).

Book - Sodium Bicarbonate - Rich Man's Poor Man's Cancer Treatment (you can read some of it on Amazon)
Ingesting baking soda is not a cure for cancer, but can lead to and promote cancer by inhibiting methylation and inducing nutritional deficiencies.

Quote:
Book - Cancer - Step Outside The Box, by Ty Bollinger (it reviews numerous cancer treatment 'alternatives')
Ty Bollinger has a lot to learn about cancer. I have addressed his bogus claims on various other sites and on the comments section of some of his video interviews.

Quote:
Iodine is essential to the body, but ONLY in trace amounts. Brownstein and his followers tend to promote toxic doses of iodine, 50-300mg daily. Iodine toxicity starts with as little as 1mg iodine daily.

A friend of mine died several years ago from excess iodine from an iodine based drug prescribed by his doctor. This is not an inert substance. See:

MedCapsules Forum - Iodine Safety/Issues

Quote:
I would also research or consider progesterone cream to balance excess estrogen (and xenoestrogens that come from chemicals and mimic estrogen),
Progesterone can cause cancer by activating the human papilloma virus linked to cervical, vaginal, vulvar, breast, penile, prostate, ano-genital, skin, oropharynx, esophageal and larygo-pharyngeal cancers.

Other side effects that can be caused by progesterone include weight gain, depression, lack of libido, gallstones, acne and hyperaggression.

Phytoestrogens are great though for some forms of cancer as they lock up estrogen receptors blocking the actions of powerful estrogens. Phytoestrogens are found in all plants n varying levels. Their one drawback is that phytoestrogens are goitrogenic. This can be countered though with low dose iodine, which is also an estrogen antagonist.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidflora View Post
The diet causes the body to enter a state called ketosis, where fat-derived chemicals are and we can say that ketones are burned in response to the absence of carbohydrates. It has been theorized that because tumor cells cannot use ketones for energy, this metabolic change would starve tumor tissue, stunting its growth and improving survival rates for cancer patients.
Cancer cells douse ketones as a fuel source. See:

Ketones and lactate "fuel" tumor growth and metastasis: Evidence that epithelial cancer cells use oxidative mitochondrial metabolism.Cell Cycle 2010 Sep 1;9(17):3506-14

Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon3200 View Post
All cancer cells use lactic acid fermentation.
As do healthy cells. Cellular energy production in both healthy cells and cancer cells both utilize glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation (OxPhos). The only difference is a higher level of OxPhos in healthy cells. But cancer cells still derive at least 50% of the energy production from OxPhos.

As a side note, cancer cells, nor any other human cell secrete lactic acid. This is an old, outdated myth. Cancer cells do secrete non-acidic lactate, which is not the same thing as lactic acid even though the terms are often and incorrectly used interchangeably.

Quote:
They can also use some amino acids a well as glucose for this.
As do healthy cells.

Cancer cells can also use lactate and ketones as fuel sources.

Quote:
A ketogenic diet starves cancer of glucose while feeding healthy cells ketones which cancer cannot use. This starves the cancer cells and leads to remission.
Again, not true. Ketones fuel cancer cell growth:

Ketones and lactate "fuel" tumor growth and metastasis: Evidence that epithelial cancer cells use oxidative mitochondrial metabolism.Cell Cycle 2010 Sep 1;9(17):3506-14

Quote:
Unfortunately a few cancer cells like to hide and eat healthy cells so as soon as the diet is ended a recurrence is likely. That is the number one reason to combine this therapy with other methods to completely eliminate the cancer cells.
Cancer cells do not feed on healthy cells. There are several reasons cancers tend to come back after therapy. Primarily the fact that most therapies do not address the cause of the cancer, which is most often viral infections. And metastasized cells are inhibited by angiogenesis inhibitors secreted by the primary tumor. When the primary tumor is removed the source of angiogenesis inhibitors is removed and the secondary tumors are then free to grow. In addition, chemotherapy and radiation therapy cannot kill cancer cells in the hypoxic regions of the tumor due to the lack of reactive oxygen species (ROS) that are the basis for radiation therapy and virtually all chemotherapy drugs.

Quote:
Hyperbaric oxygen could help with this treatment as cancer does not like O2 and there are no harmful side effects of the treatment.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) DOES NOT cure cancer. HBOT can stimulate cancer growth though as cancer cells are highly dependent on oxygen for survival and growth and HBOT stimualtes angiogenesis, which proliferates cancer. See:

Reliance of cancer cells on oxygen:

Oxygen Consumption Can Regulate the Growth of Tumors, a New Perspective on the Warburg Effect. PLoS One 2009 Sep 15;4(9):e7033

Choosing between glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation: a tumor's dilemma? Biochim Biophys Acta 2011 Jun;1807(6):552-61

Comparison of Metabolic Pathways between Cancer Cells and Stromal Cells in Colorectal Carcinomas: a Metabolic Survival Role for Tumor-Associated Stroma. Cancer Res January 15, 2006 66;632

Akt Stimulates Aerobic Glycolysis in Cancer Cells. Cancer Res June 1, 2004 64; 3892

That cancer growth is inhibited by low oxygen levels an die in the absence of oxygen:

Oxygen consumption can regulate the growth of tumors, a new perspective on the Warburg effect. PLoS One 2009 Sep 15;4(9):e7033

Anoxia is necessary for tumor cell toxicity caused by a low-oxygen environment. Cancer Res 2005 Apr 15;65(8):3171-8

Relationship between oxygen and glucose consumption by transplanted tumors in vivo. Cancer Res 1967 Jun;27(6):1041-52

Death of cancer cells by lack of oxygen and angiogensis stimulation to increase the growth rate of tumors by increasing oxygen levels to the tumor:

Computational models of VEGF-associated angiogenic processes in cancer. Math Med Biol 2012 Mar;29(1):85-94

Blood Flow, Oxygen Consumption, and Tissue Oxygenation of Human Breast Cancer Xenografts in Nude Rats. Cancer Res 47, 3496-3503, July 1,1987

A Mathematical Model for the Diffusion of Tumour Angiogenesis Factor into the Surrounding Host. Tissue Math Med Biol (1991) 8 (3): 191-220

The History of Tumour Angiogenesis as a Therapeutic Target. University of Toronto Medical Journal Vol 87, No 1 (2009)

The higher affinity for oxygen by cancer cells than healthy cells:

Utilization of Oxygen by Transplanted Tumors in Vivo. Cancer Res 1967;27:1020-1030

Growth-related changes of oxygen consumption rates of tumor cells grown in vitro and in vivo. J Cell Physiol 1989 Jan;138(1):183-91

Quote:
Ozone or Hydrogen peroxide therapy is not that same, both are pure forms of free radicals and known to cause cancer.
Again untrue. Both ozone and peroxide readily and selectively kill cancer cells. In fact, our own natural killer (NK) cells secrete peroxide in to cancer cells to destroy them when they can be detected.

Ozone has more anticancer effects than peroxide since the formation of peroxides is only one of the many factors in which ozone cures cancer. See:

Alt/Trad Medical Review

Quote:
O2 is the only safe oxygen all others are basically a form of bleach, I once saw 30% h2o2 burn a 6" wide hole in floor.
O2 is not the only safe form of oxygen. Do you realize that we breathe in ozone on a daily basis and our bodies generate hydrogen peroxide for various health reasons? And as I pointed out HBOT can actually promote cancer.

As for your claim that the 30% peroxide burned a 6 inch hole in your floor, what was your floor made of? Sugar? I have used a stronger 35% peroxide on my skin a number of times to take moles off. So far I have never burned a hole through my skin.

Quote:
Another interesting treatment that is being worked on is the use of anaerobic bacteria to eat cancer from within. Since no oxygen is used by cancer for growth there is very little oxygen in cancer cells. So anaerobic bacteria will thrive in a cancer environment however when the bacteria reaches healthy oxygen rich cells it dies.
See the research list I submitted above. Cancer cells are HIGHLY reliant on oxygen, derive over 50% of their energy production through an oxygen dependent process, die in the absence of oxygen and have a higher affinity for oxygen than healthy cells.

Tumors actually have a mix of highly oxygenated areas as well as hypoxic regions due to the irregular vasculature formed during angiogenesis. It is these hypoxic (low oxygen) regions that are the most difficult to kill with radiation and chemo therapies due to the lack of ROS production that kill cancer cells.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Resveratrol - extracted from red wine
Actually it isn't. It is in such ultra-trace amounts in red wine that it would take thousands of gallons of red wine to get enough resveratrol to make a bottle of the phytoestrogen resveratrol. Commercial resveratrol is extracted from Japanese knotweed.

Quote:
Combining these with ketogenic and hyperbaric therapy should work well.
As pointed out in my earlier posts cancer cells use ketones as a fuel source. And hyperbaric oxygen therapy will not kill cancer cells, but can promote it.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Another thing I wonder about.... If cancer uses a lactic acid fermentation, then shouldn't it be easy to test for cancer by looking for the lactic acid traces in someones urine?
The problem with that is that cancer cells, nor healthy cells secrete lactic acid. The only cells in the entire body that secrete lactic acid are the beneficial acid forming bacteria that inhabit our bodies.

The confusion comes from the fact that cancer cells and healthy cells secrete non-acidic lactate. Even though these are not the same thing these terms are often erroneously used interchangeably even by researchers.

Many cancers can be detected though with HCG pregnancy tests. That has been used in Europe for a very long time and to a less extent here in the U.S. quietly by some hospitals. Especially to detect prostate cancer in men.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:35 PM

194 posts, read 251,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hveragerthi View Post
Actually it isn't. It is in such ultra-trace amounts in red wine that it would take thousands of gallons of red wine to get enough resveratrol to make a bottle of the phytoestrogen resveratrol. Commercial resveratrol is extracted from Japanese knotweed.

As pointed out in my earlier posts cancer cells use ketones as a fuel source. And hyperbaric oxygen therapy will not kill cancer cells, but can promote it.
Dr Thomas Seyfried, Boston College cancer researcher

I know about this study. The study has serious problems. I wrote a letter to the editor of the journal regarding the flaws in the study. I discussed these flaws with Dr. Richard Veech at the NIH, who concurred with my concerns.

Unfortunately, these types of studies will occasionally appear in the literature mainly because the reviews, who know about molecular biology, are unfamiliar with the old literature on energy metabolism.

Here’s Dr. Seyfried’s letter that never got published in the journal:

October 20, 2010
Dr. M.V. Blagosklonny
Editor-in-Chief, Cell Cycle
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Buffalo, NY

Dear Dr. Blagosklonny,

I am writing in reference to an article that appeared in the September 1 issue of Cell Cycle by Bonuccelli, et al., entitled: “Ketones and lactate “fuel” tumor growth and metastasis: Evidence that epithelial cancer cells use oxidative mitochondrial metabolism”.

The authors have made serious errors in their data interpretation and the conclusions of their article. There is no evidence in the biochemical literature that ketone bodies can be made from pyruvate in fibroblasts. It is common knowledge in biochemistry that ketone bodies are derived from fatty acid beta-oxidation in liver mitochondria. This information is also presented in the cited articles from Veech and co-workers.

The authors present evidence showing that the ketone body 3-hydroxy-butyrate does not enhance lung metastasis (Fig. 4A), yet the paper title indicates that ketones fuel tumor growth and metastasis. The paper title and abstract are therefore misleading.

Furthermore, no evidence was presented in the paper showing that the MDA-MB-231 cells can survive using only L-lactate or ketone bodies as metabolic fuels. While the authors recommend that it may be unwise to use lactate-containing i.v. solutions in cancer patients, the authors should also recognize that lactate is metabolized to glucose in the liver through the Cori cycle. It is well documented that glucose can stimulate tumor growth. No information was provided on food intake or body weights of the treated and control mice. No information was presented on blood glucose or ketone levels in the tumor bearing mice used in the study. It is difficult to assess the effects of drug injections without this information. Finally, no evidence was presented showing that OxPhos is operational in the MDA-MB-231 tumor cells. Gene expression profiles do not provide the required biochemical and physiological evidence for establishing operational OxPhos in tumor cells.

Unfortunately, the author’s provide misinformation. Such information will cause confusion in the field. I am surprised that the reviewers of this paper did not mention these issues in their critique, as some of the evidence and statements presented contradict basic principles of biochemistry as specified in any general textbook on the subject. If further evidence is needed to support my concerns, I would suggest contacting Drs. Richard Veech, Theodore B. VanItallie and Jong Rho.

Sincerely,
Thomas N. Seyfried, Ph.D.

Do Ketones Fuel Cancer? The Low-Carb Experts Respond « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Also The Ketogenic Diet and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Prolong Survival in Mice with Systemic Metastatic Cancer The Ketogenic Diet and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Prolong Survival in Mice with Systemic Metastatic Cancer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine