Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Approved by who though? The FDA doesn't approve supplements. Fish oil -is- a supplement, regardless of what it's used for. It isn't an alternative medicine, unless you're rubbing it on your body, or using them for earplugs and not ingesting them. THEN it's be alternative medicine - because they'd be used in a way that they aren't intended to be used (something other than swallowing the pills).

And even then - if there aren't any results when you use them in some other way, then they're not alt medicine either. They're just supplements that someone is doing stupid things with.

I think if we went by the established definition of supplements, instead of making up what we think we might want it to mean, or what we heard someone tell us it means, or what we read on one supplement company's website that it means, or what another poster thinks it means, there'd be a whole lot less confusion.

Alternative medicines are more difficult to define. But supplements are very clearly defined. Fish oil falls very clearly into that category.

Here's the official website that spells out exactly what's what:
CODEX Alimentarius: Home
And the link to the actual standards:
CODEX Alimentarius: Standards

Also, most doctors DO recommend supplements, on a regular basis, to many of their patients. A multivitamin is probably the most often recommended supplement, followed closely by calcium and vitamin D. Most elderly folks with just a little joint pain but no significant arthritis will often be told to try condroitin and glucosamine. Very very common. I don't know why you think doctors don't recommend them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Approved by who though? The FDA doesn't approve supplements. Fish oil -is- a supplement, regardless of what it's used for. It isn't an alternative medicine, unless you're rubbing it on your body, or using them for earplugs and not ingesting them. THEN it's be alternative medicine - because they'd be used in a way that they aren't intended to be used (something other than swallowing the pills).

And even then - if there aren't any results when you use them in some other way, then they're not alt medicine either. They're just supplements that someone is doing stupid things with.

I think if we went by the established definition of supplements, instead of making up what we think we might want it to mean, or what we heard someone tell us it means, or what we read on one supplement company's website that it means, or what another poster thinks it means, there'd be a whole lot less confusion.

Alternative medicines are more difficult to define. But supplements are very clearly defined. Fish oil falls very clearly into that category.

Also, most doctors DO recommend supplements, on a regular basis, to many of their patients. A multivitamin is probably the most often recommended supplement, followed closely by calcium and vitamin D. Most elderly folks with just a little joint pain but no significant arthritis will often be told to try condroitin and glucosamine. Very very common. I don't know why you think doctors don't recommend them.
I'm not going to argue with you. I am not a medical person and it's only something I said in passing, not for sake of argument. There are tons of supplements that most doctors do not recommend. Most don't even recommend chondroitin and glucosamine anymore--because the studies aren't showing that it makes much difference even though people say it does. Especially the chondroitin. And fish oil is recommended by the AMA for the heart, not even for cholesterol anymore. That's not the gospel truth because this is not worth googling around for proof.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM

326 posts, read 703,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Sometimes when I get Styes I take cod liver oil and it cures it. Does this then qualify cod liver oil as alternative medicine?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:16 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciameriken View Post
Sometimes when I get Styes I take cod liver oil and it cures it. Does this then qualify cod liver oil as alternative medicine?
Only if you rub the cod liver oil on your eye, or inject it into your skin, or mix it with your toothpaste and then spit it out, or do any of the kajillion possible things you -could- do with it, other than swallow a capsule or teaspoon of it, which is its intended use as a supplement. And even then, it would only qualify as an alternative medicine, if you can provide evidence that your method of using it, is the reason the stye went away. If you can't, then it's just another form of fraud, and not any kind of medicine at all.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 993 times
Arrow Cod Liver Oil. Omega-3 Fatty Acids

I've been taking it since I was a kid (I'm now 47 years old). However, I my early adult years I started digging deeper into its makeup and benefits. My conclusion was that its most beneficial component was the omega-3 fatty acids. I then decided to switch to taking omega-3 supplements.

For quite a number of years I have been using a particular brand that has served me, my relatives - both young and old, and some of my friends very well. It has really helped in: 1) Reducing Joint stiffness and pain 2) Promoting cardiovascular health 3) As a natural treatment for inflammation 4) Assisting with better skin appearance

Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM

249 posts, read 473,450 times
Cod liver oil is nasty my mom use to give me spoonfuls of it after halloween and you would be burping fish for what seem like days

Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Well, I have decided to quit taking it. I already eat a lot of sardines and salmon which have a lot of omega-3s, so my feeling is that's enough. There is such a thing as too much. If one doesn't eat seafood, it might make sense to take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine