Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times

Advertisements

Would anyone are to share their favorite mail order source for quality essential oils? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,312 times
Vermont Patches. Tried 'em to help with sleep (lavender). They didn't do me much goid, but some swear by them.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I get mine from Liberty Natural, out of Oregon. They're an importer, plus they harvest from their own lavender farm. They are the product behind some of the higher-end labels, and do gas mass spectrometry for much of the industry.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I get mine from Liberty Natural, out of Oregon. They're an importer, plus they harvest from their own lavender farm. They are the product behind some of the higher-end labels, and do gas mass spectrometry for much of the industry.
Thanks A. C. , I will take a look at their site.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Just make sure your essential oils are 100% essential oil....many of them have fillers.

Anon I looked at the products you linked...cannot find anything that says the essential oils are 100%. Do you have additional info?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:30 AM

Liberty Natural is where most of the high end brands get their oils from. Their website is designed to target the companies that label and sell to shops and aromatherapists who blend them as needed for clients. They're basically a wholesaler's resource. But they also sell to individuals.

Their individual essential oils are 100% essential oil. They do have blends available, and they specify what's in their blends, when you click on that particular product. They specify the type of extraction, the ingredient type, the latin name, they offer a wikipedia link to an explanation on each latin name when available, the safety guidelines, MSDS listing, and certificate of analysis sheet for every single essential oil they sell.

All you need to do, to find this, is pick an oil and click on it. You'll be taken to that individual oil's information, including pricing.

Every single product they sell, is 100% pure individual singular product, unless otherwise specified. They have several different types of several different oils - for example - there isn't just one type of eucalyptus. The eucalyptus plant is grown with several different hybrids, and each produces a slightly different type of oil when extracted. Liberty Natural offers many of these different types.

As I said - they're an importer. They buy directly from the farm when possible, the distillery when not. They have their own distillery in which they produce their own lavender, from their own 25-acre lavender farm, which is the host of a yearly Lavender Festival, which is a big event in Clackmas County.

If you were to compare it with buying any other product, it'd be like..the difference between going to the supermarket to buy a quart of milk, vs. going to the tri-state dairy cooperative and getting the quart out of one of the dairy silos. Or buying a car at a dealership, vs. buying it from the factory.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM

I did go to the oils and clicked on them - it doesn't say 100% essential oils...I tried several times...what am I doing wrong?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Heh you aren't doing anything "wrong." You're not understanding the language of the industry, that's all. Essential oils, by definition, are 100% pure essential oil. It doesn't need to be further clarified. This site is targeted to businesses that specialize in essential oils.

This is why it's so difficult to explain to the end user, who is accustomed to purchasing adulterated products from stores. Everyone and their brother calls the finished product 'essential oil' even if it isn't. But those companies are buying either real actual essential oils from companies like Liberty Natural and mixing them with other things and calling the finished product an essential oil, or they're buying synthetics from other companies, slapping a label on it, and calling the finished product an essential oil.

In the industry and profession of aromatherapy, essential oils are 100% pure essential oils. They aren't anything else. Anything that isn't 100% pure essential oil, is called something else. It's called an essential oil blend, or a sachet, or a lip balm, or a body lotion, or skin care, or whatever it is, that those things are, which are made with essential oils as ingredients.

This is why I was so hestitant in mentioning the name of this company, for the first year+ that I was contributing to the aromatherapy threads. Because it just really isn't intended for a layman, even though they do sell to individuals by special order. But you can't go to your local health store and expect to find Liberty Natural lavender oil on the shelf (although I have found their retail brand TIBs breath freshener oils in a couple of health food stores in the past). They aren't a retail seller. They're a company that sells jojoba oil in 55 gallon drums. The website is more of a catalogue for stores who are already familiar with them as wholesalers.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Heh you aren't doing anything "wrong." You're not understanding the language of the industry, that's all. Essential oils, by definition, are 100% pure essential oil. It doesn't need to be further clarified. This site is targeted to businesses that specialize in essential oils.

This is why it's so difficult to explain to the end user, who is accustomed to purchasing adulterated products from stores. Everyone and their brother calls the finished product 'essential oil' even if it isn't. But those companies are buying either real actual essential oils from companies like Liberty Natural and mixing them with other things and calling the finished product an essential oil, or they're buying synthetics from other companies, slapping a label on it, and calling the finished product an essential oil.

In the industry and profession of aromatherapy, essential oils are 100% pure essential oils. They aren't anything else. Anything that isn't 100% pure essential oil, is called something else. It's called an essential oil blend, or a sachet, or a lip balm, or a body lotion, or skin care, or whatever it is, that those things are, which are made with essential oils as ingredients.

This is why I was so hestitant in mentioning the name of this company, for the first year+ that I was contributing to the aromatherapy threads. Because it just really isn't intended for a layman, even though they do sell to individuals by special order. But you can't go to your local health store and expect to find Liberty Natural lavender oil on the shelf (although I have found their retail brand TIBs breath freshener oils in a couple of health food stores in the past). They aren't a retail seller. They're a company that sells jojoba oil in 55 gallon drums. The website is more of a catalogue for stores who are already familiar with them as wholesalers.
Got it now - thanks.

I have been suffering from asthma for the last week and bought some peppermint essential oil and a diffuser at Whole Foods....it works wonders while I'm in bed/asleep/in the bedroom...but once I leave, I'm having a hard time breathing deeply....I am going to put some peppermint oil on a hanky and take it with me while I'm out so I can breathe the scent in. We have lived in KY for almost 5 years and this is the first time I've had asthma.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Actually Frankinsence is a "specific" for asthma. A "specific" is pretty much what it sounds like: if there is an ailment that responds best to a specific treatment, than that treatment is called a "specific." It's an old term, used mostly back in the days when doctors went by horse and buggy to their patients' homes, and medicines were called "simples." One you'd know best is clove oil. That's the "specific" for tooth ache, which is why dentists traditionally used it, or its active chemical component eugenol, as a dental antiseptic and numbing agent, prior to dental work.

Frank (boswellia carteri) is especially powerful because it's a vasodilator. You don't need to "apply" the oil to any part of your body; all you need to do is open the bottle, hold the bottle an inch or so away from your mouth, inhale the fumes through your mouth, hold your breath just a moment, then exhale through your nose. It is -very- likely to cause momentary heart palpitations; they subside almost as quickly as they come. Once you realize that's what it is, it's not scary at all, and there's no pain whatsoever involved. It's just a "hey what's that...oh - huh. Weird" kind of thing.

It smells very mediciny, and if you've ever been to high mass at a Catholic church you'd recognize the smell right away. They burn frankincense tears and myrrh during part of their ritual mass. It is also used in various ritual meditations, for the exact reason that it provides easier deep breathing (even if you don't have asthma).

It's used most often when you feel an asthma attack coming on, but it hasn't come yet. Definitely not intended to replace any prescription medicines you're taking, and if you have an existing heart condition or wear a pacemaker, you shouldn't use it. Otherwise - if you normally use OTC relief, you might be able to replace that with frank oil. The label should read either boswellia carteri, or olibanum. Olibanum is usually the term used to describe the tears (which is just another way of saying "dried tree sap chunks"), but it's interchangeable with boswellia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine