Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times

Advertisements

It wasn't what I expected. I have been experiencing lots of anxiety issues and headaches and my therapist recommended it as an alternative to meds.

I felt deeply relaxed after and even today. More so even than massage, which makes me squeamish at times-- I don't always want someone touching me.

I had several needles in my ear, a few on my head, ankles, wrists, etc. As soon as the needles went in to my ears I started crying. Not because it hurt (it didn't at all). I have no idea why. It felt like a release of sadness.

I plan to go again and even routinely.

Anyone else have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:36 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
I was very interested to hear the acupuncture worked for your anxiety. How long do you think the effect lasted?

My father used to get acupuncture to help with his phantom pains and secondly for sinus pain. The table he had to lie on was not that comfortable for his size and condition but you could see him visually relax as the treatment continued. He would actually fall asleep so deeply, I was often concerned he would roll of the table. That made me a believer!

I have general anxiety disorder and depression and was considering going myself but the money has held me back some.

I am glad it worked for you and I have me thinking about it again.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
I would recommend it. I actually got the urge to go when I posted in another thread and a CD member told me to try it, too. My therapist had said it for months, but there is nothing like a testimonial!

Mine was actually not too bad cost wise. It was $25 for about an hour and a half. They do the needles and then let you lie and relax while the music plays. Then they came over an talked to you. I even got a sheet with foods that are good for anxiety. I do think it gets exacerbated by my diet.

I am currently in New Orleans and in the process of moving to DC. I am sure it will be lots more expensive there! I am going to try and do it once a week.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I have been getting acupuncture treatments for a neck and back injury and the treatments have helped tremendously. I was at the point where my doctor wanted to try cortisone shots but acupuncture was the other option.

While I have no idea how much it costs since my insurance covers it, I have seen Groupon coupons for acupuncture.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
This is timely; I have made my first appointment for next week! I have Type 2 diabetes, but I have some other vague issues that I hope can be helped. Going to cost me out of pocket but no commitment where I am going, and if it works will be well worth it!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:31 AM

438 posts, read 660,631 times
I love acupuncture. I have had it from many different people, but the all time best was from a Chinese doctor who couldn't speak any English. He threw the needles like darts.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
My acupuncturist has helped me more than most MD's I have ever seen. She is healing me as a whole and not simply prescribing medication to deal with a symptom. One side benefit from acupuncture is I lost 17 lbs. within a couple of months (it has stayed off so far!). It is important to let them know what you are trying to accomplish. I have trigeminal neuralgia and have to take medication but regular acupuncture helps keep the accompanying headaches under control. After a couple of sessions she also recommended I take a good vitamin B supplement as well as have my dr. check for vitamin D level (I was low).

Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I tried it for FM and it worked very well. But it was mainly the electrodes that he used, so I bought a TENS.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
For 34 years, yes.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
It wasn't what I expected. I have been experiencing lots of anxiety issues and headaches and my therapist recommended it as an alternative to meds.

I felt deeply relaxed after and even today. More so even than massage, which makes me squeamish at times-- I don't always want someone touching me.

I had several needles in my ear, a few on my head, ankles, wrists, etc. As soon as the needles went in to my ears I started crying. Not because it hurt (it didn't at all). I have no idea why. It felt like a release of sadness.

I plan to go again and even routinely.

On a couple of my treatments I experienced tears as well. It was a release and more than likely needed. For several years I could not cry. I had pain and incredible sadness but could not physically cry.

I'm so glad you tried acupuncture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine