Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 10:27 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I've used iodine and DMSO gel to cure a skin fungus (probably candida).
I've used Lugol's iodine applied directly - stopped nail fungus instantly, but does leave an orange tint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 11:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Information on the net re Tea Tree Oil says it will cure fungus. I was researching for psoriasis which is supposedly helped with such oil.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I finally got serious about curing it just over a month ago, and I've used 2 different common fungicide cremes and foot powders, along with a specific acid treatment for nail beds. I've been treating twice a day for about 3 1/2 weeks now, and all the fungus is nearly gone. All the nail beds are clearing.

I expect it will require another month of more of steady treatment to get rid of it all, but the improvement was much more dramatic than at any time of those years when I applied coconut oil only. The oil works, and it makes my feet feel soft and smell nice, but it is nowhere as powerful as the fungicides that have been around for decades.

Nothing I use is expensive nor a prescription. Once the fungus is all killed, I'll probably keep oiling my feet, but I'll also continue to use some fungicide foot powder as well.
Hi, can you tell me the names of the products you used? And did it clear up and stay clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
Meanwhile, try nourishing your body from the inside out by taking coconut oil internally. Start with 1 tsp. a day and work up to 3 tablespoons a day, but not too fast because it is a strong laxative.
Is this the same thing as cooking with it, or using it in other foods? I use it when I'm out of butter, so I wonder if that's the same thing, or if you have to take it by itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I've used Lugol's iodine applied directly - stopped nail fungus instantly, but does leave an orange tint.
where do you get this?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Nail fungus is very disfiguring and can be quite embarrassing. However, as a runner/athlete and struggling with nail fungus for a few years up through last year, but now having healed it really completely, I can state that topical treatments for nail fungus are really, really hard to get to work. In fact for me, after trying topical applications for quite some time, I never was able to make much progress. All I know about topical applications is that if you are going to use them, you need to be extremely consistent and regular in using them, and even then they may not work. Nail fungus begins at the nail bed and occurs under the nail, so it is very hard to get topical applications to get through the nail to where medication would be effective.

I ended up rapidly clearing up my long-time nail fungus problems with the prescription medication Diflucan (Fluconazole). I was at first very nervous to try that medication as I had heard horror stories in alternative medicine circles regarding the deleterious effects that Diflucan can have on liver health along with other strong side affects. And while your doctor will insist on monitoring your liver enzymes and health prior to and while on Diflucan, I can attest that for some/many people (myself included), there are virtually no side affects when used as prescribed. And it took less than two months to clear up the problems that seemed like they would be lifelong conditions. Really a miracle type of medication. One needs it prescribed from their physician, which is not hard to get if you have real nail fungus. I can't describe how thankful I was for that medication.

Having said all of this extolling the virtues of prescription medication for nail fungus, I will say that I learned that incorporating coconut oil into the diet helped with the maintenance of the gains made medicinally. So, I think coconut oil as a front line medication is likely not to work, and applying it topically really seems impractically difficult to make any gains with, however, adding it to the diet can work very well as a corollary treatment.

The property in coconut oil that is most stridently anti-fungal in nature is the high proportion of caprylic acid that coconut oil contains. Caprylic acid is a natural anti-fungal that is found in the diet, and while bad fungal infections are hard to attack with caprylic acid alone, the acid can really help aid in the maintenance of sustaining an anti-fungal condition. A few tablespoons of coconut oil spread out through the day really is all that it takes.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:15 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Information on the net re Tea Tree Oil says it will cure fungus. I was researching for psoriasis which is supposedly helped with such oil.
Psoriasis needs to be worked on from the inside, give Grape Seed Extract a good trial, it cleans and thins blood. You can find info on the net regarding this possible support for psoriasis.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 787 times
Quote:
I did try it. Over the years, I developed a severe fungus problem on both feet that I treated with coconut oil, and while the oil controlled the infection a bit, it never reversed it.

Like you, both my big toes, and several other toes, had nail bed infections. One has been infected for a very long time, and the other big toe developed the infection after I broke the toe.

I finally got serious about curing it just over a month ago, and I've used 2 different common fungicide cremes and foot powders, along with a specific acid treatment for nail beds. I've been treating twice a day for about 3 1/2 weeks now, and all the fungus is nearly gone. All the nail beds are clearing.

I expect it will require another month of more of steady treatment to get rid of it all, but the improvement was much more dramatic than at any time of those years when I applied coconut oil only. The oil works, and it makes my feet feel soft and smell nice, but it is nowhere as powerful as the fungicides that have been around for decades.

Nothing I use is expensive nor a prescription. Once the fungus is all killed, I'll probably keep oiling my feet, but I'll also continue to use some fungicide foot powder as well.
You have tried using coconut oil and it did not help? May I know what is the exact name of the fungicide foot powder you used? Coz when I had my problem with my foot after a pedicure, I have been using coconut oil and it did helps me ease the pain.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:30 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Had heard about Vicks during fungus, but I am too lazy to use it daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine