Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times

Advertisements

The two other supplements I started taking in the past couple months that could be causing insomnia are krill oil (very likely the culprit) and glucosamine sulfate (etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 01:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
The two other supplements I started taking in the past couple months that could be causing insomnia are krill oil (very likely the culprit) and glucosamine sulfate (etc.).
I've never taken krill oil but do take glucosamine. I have a new thread going on Melatonin and cancer issues and finding a lot of new info on higher doses of melatonin. Look for it in the Alternative section. Do you take melatonin, I take 1/2mg with my inositol for sleep and I am thinking of trying higher melatonin doses and see how I feel....worry about being groggy the next day.

I just got a new bottle of Muscadine Grape Seed (not extract) and will take it as this grape is high in resveratrol.

We have to be so aware and learn to add and delete what we "think" our body needs. I use muscle testing and think it does help me.

Can you give me the name of the chinese BP med you mention, is it otc med? I'm working with Mukta Vati along with BP meds and I still get elevated BP.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've never taken krill oil but do take glucosamine. I have a new thread going on Melatonin and cancer issues and finding a lot of new info on higher doses of melatonin. Look for it in the Alternative section. Do you take melatonin, I take 1/2mg with my inositol for sleep and I am thinking of trying higher melatonin doses and see how I feel....worry about being groggy the next day.

I just got a new bottle of Muscadine Grape Seed (not extract) and will take it as this grape is high in resveratrol.

We have to be so aware and learn to add and delete what we "think" our body needs. I use muscle testing and think it does help me.

Can you give me the name of the chinese BP med you mention, is it otc med? I'm working with Mukta Vati along with BP meds and I still get elevated BP.
Sure, the Chinese formula I'm using for BP is: Liu Wei Di Huang Wan, aka Six Flavor formula. I am unsure of how much it has actually helped me, but it does seem like my blood pressure dropped somewhat since I started taking it. I think it's more of the sort of thing that works over a long period of time. Also, it's considered one of the safest, least side-effect TCM formulas. I have noticed no side effects from it. It is a diuretic, but a relatively mild one in my experience. (Sorry, I didn't see your post until today.)

I do not take melatonin. I'd like to avoid taking it if I don't have to.

I've been using more sudafed than usual lately, so still no miracles from the pycnogenol. I think it's mostly because the humidity has been getting extremely low here and I took too long to get a second humidifier up and running in my apartment. Hoping to have things a bit more stabilized by mid-July. Right now I think I am fighting the beginnings of a sinus infection, but it's very low-intensity if so.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 AM

I've mentioned that for over 20 yrs I've had no mucus issues since pycnogenol and grapeseed ex, but in the last 6+ months and with this climate change I have more mucus than the 20 yrs prior. We have worse heat in the 50some years I've lived in So. Calif. So I blame the heat. And 5 yrs of draught, so very very dry.

Once the Pycnogenol worked for me in 1995, I purchased no more Sudafed and in no way ready to go back to it. I blow my nose in the morning and that's it for the day usually. I'm so thankful for the 20+ yrs of no drugs for allergy/sinus issues...I can live with this little discomfort and who knows how long I'll have the morning mucus.

Maybe think about alternating the two OPC's, up dosing now and then. Can't hurt.

Thanks for the BP med -- I'll look it up. I'm using Mukta Vati (auyervedic) with my BP meds....can't seem to keep BP lower.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:54 PM

A friend just sent me this on grape seed ex and late stage cancer:

Grape Seed Extract May Beat Chemo in Late-Stage Cancer | GreenMedInfo

This link also mentions the dangers and damage from statins.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:01 PM

Here's another good link. I don't want to lose track of this one:

Common Benefits of Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins.Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins:OPCs.INCI Name Vitis Vinifera Seed Extract CAS 84929-27-1 EINECS ELINCS No 284-511-6 glycosidic anthocyanidins,monomeric flavan-3-ol catechins and flavan-3,4-diol units,anti

Some give up too soon as they don't feel a great change right away. But subtle change is taking place. For me it was great with the allergy/sinus issues.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM

I really think psycnogenol is negatively affecting my mood even at 100mg. I might try 50mg. for a while or switch to grape seed extract, but they are pretty similar.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I really think psycnogenol is negatively affecting my mood even at 100mg. I might try 50mg. for a while or switch to grape seed extract, but they are pretty similar.
My mood is affected by chronic pain from OA and messed up knee from hip replacement. The OPC's have never affected my mood..they do increase energy, energy can make one in better mood I would think.

Play around with dose. Work with both or stop all together and see how you feel. I have a friend who is on these 1 month longer than me and shd would take breaks to see how she feels and she gets back on pretty quickly as she feels drop in energy.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Default Reservations about resveratrol

Irritability is definitely a side effect that other people mention.

I dropped down to 50mg. the last couple days and it seems to have improved my mood. Also sleeping better, but it's only been a couple days so it's a little early to say. There have been some other environmental changes in that time period which could be contributing to my sleeping better.

I was coming to add that I had been getting some atypical (for me) aches and pains, mostly in my hands, after I started pycnogenol and resveratrol. Since stopping the resveratrol a while back, the pain in my hands has gone away completely. I have seen other complaints about resveratrol specifically (but not necessarily grape seed extract) causing this side effect in some people. Apparently it might have something to with the knotweed in most resveratrol formulas.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The OPC's have never affected my mood..they do increase energy, energy can make one in better mood I would think.
I'm not sure it's that simple. I have found that all sorts of things which increase energy can adversely affect my mood by intensifying my feelings. If you're unhappy and angry to begin with (which I more or less tend to be, though it's not as if I am always experiencing those feelings), then more energy can just crank that up a notch. Or having more energy can allow one to feel more acutely. Think of the way depressed people sometimes end up experiencing even more negative affect when they start to recover (although what I'm thinking of might be mostly related to the side effects of anti-depressants, so it might not be as simple as depressed people regaining energy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine