Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 AM

678 posts, read 438,172 times

Advertisements

for this tremendously helpful research Report, is this the right forum? please say:

"A South American tribe with a highly active lifestyle has the healthiest arteries of any population yet studied, say researchers.
Scientists who examined 100's of men & women from the group found that 9 of 10 had clear arteries showing no risk of heart disease.
The Tsimane people, who live in the Bolivian Amazon, their diet is largely non-processed carbohydrates high in fiber , such as rice, plantain, manioc, corn, nuts and fruits.
Protein from fish & wild animal meat only 14% of the diet and fat makes up the same proportion.
Each tribal member consumes 38 grams of fat daily, of which just 11 grams is sat. fat.
Even in old age most remained in astonishingly good health, & they don't smoke : South American tribe found to have the healthiest hearts ever studied
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
I think the food may just be a tiny part of it. They are more connected with nature, active, barefoot and getting plenty of fresh air and natural sunshine.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:59 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
They are similar to the Tarahumara Indians of Northern Mexico in terms of lifestyle. Tarahumaras run up to 200 miles per session to visit neighboring villages. They can run down turkeys to exhaustion although meat comprises only 5% of their diet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rar%C3%A1muri_people

Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
It would have been helpful if they had discussed blood lipid levels and genetics, too.

Plenty of thin, active people drop dead from heart attacks.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It would have been helpful if they had discussed blood lipid levels and genetics, too.

Thank you for a realistic approach to the problem. I think too many people look at these studies and believe them 100%. I am one that thinks many of our ailments can be traced to genetics and some to our life style.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:

But if their lipid panels and BP are favorable, the proponents of their lifestyle would attribute same to that lifestyle.

If the lipids and BP are unfavorable, the proponents of their lifestyle would again tell us that the lifestyle protects them from heart disease despite the poor clinical findings.

And so it's a win-win from their perspective at least regarding occlusive artery disease.

They would no doubt expound on this by pointing out that the people are doing and eating as their ancestors did thousands of years ago while those who follow the typical Western lifestyle have abandoned the ways of their ancestors.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
But if their lipid panels and BP are favorable, the proponents of their lifestyle would attribute same to that lifestyle.

If the lipids and BP are unfavorable, the proponents of their lifestyle would again tell us that the lifestyle protects them from heart disease despite the poor clinical findings.

And so it's a win-win from their perspective at least regarding occlusive artery disease.

They would no doubt expound on this by pointing out that the people are doing and eating as their ancestors did thousands of years ago while those who follow the typical Western lifestyle have abandoned the ways of their ancestors.
On the other hand, if you look at people known to have lived to 110 years of age and beyond, plenty of them live in the West and a lot in the USA.

List of supercentenarians born in 1903 | Gerontology Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

One glaring genetic factor obvious from that list is the presence of two X chromosomes.

The world's oldest woman both drank and smoked:

Why Supercentenarians Hold the Key to Extended Life

"Remarkably, many supercentenarians did virtually nothing special to prolong their lives.

"Lifestyle doesn't seem to be an important factor," Clement told io9. "Most supercentenarians smoked and drank all of their lives, yet seemed to be unaffected by these apparently unhealthy practices. I've met a lot of men and women over the age of 107, and most of them have been astonishingly healthy all of their lives. Many of them live by themselves, and still care for themselves. Some, like the 111-year old Barbados man we met, have never been sick a day in their lives, and few of these people ever suffered with a disease."

" ... If you have genes that protect you from the many forms of CVD [cardiovascular disease], you may nevertheless still die early from cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes, and so on. So a person likely needs numerous protective genes in every major category of disease risk, in order to sidestep these typical longevity landmines."

In other words, people who live a very long time have won a genetic lottery.

Then there are "blue zones", regions in the world where people commonly live to advanced ages. The guy who has studied these regions has identified lifestyle factors he thinks are important, but some of the populations he studied are insular - literally. We need to know their genetics, too.

Here Are the Secrets to a Long and Healthy Life

An anecdote:

My MIL turned 94 in January. Many years ago, when I heard what her HDL was (70, if I remember correctly), I predicted she would live to be 100. She has become more physically fragile in the last few years and has some short term memory difficulties but no chronic medical problems. She was treated for breast cancer many years ago and has had a melanoma removed from the back of one hand, long enough ago that that was probably cured, too. She still likes a glass or two of wine. She has never smoked, to my knowledge. She has never been overweight but apart from not eating a lot has never really followed any particular "diet". She exercised regularly for most of her life, including daily walks as she got older. Though her lifestyle has included many of the features suggested to promote longevity, I suspect she just has good genes, too.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:25 PM

I wonder how "plenty of them" in the West compares to the percentage of these native peoples cited by the OP as well as the Tarahumara and tribes in Borneo in terms of occlusive artery disease.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I wonder how "plenty of them" in the West compares to the percentage of these native peoples cited by the OP as well as the Tarahumara and tribes in Borneo in terms of occlusive artery disease.
My point was that the right genetics can trump lifestyle, even in the West.

We still need to know the genetics of the primitive people cited in the OP, rather than completely attributing their lack of coronary artery disease to lifestyle.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
My point was that the right genetics can trump lifestyle, even in the West.

We still need to know the genetics of the primitive people cited in the OP, rather than completely attributing their lack of coronary artery disease to lifestyle.
Have scientists identified a genetic marker for those predisposed to atheromatous disease? If so, let's assume that these native peoples are genetically not predisposed to such ailments.

The proponents of lifestyle will still argue that their favorable genetic predisposition stems from the fact that they continue the "non-Western" lifestyle of their ancestors. The only way to resolve this problem is impractical, i.e., have the native peoples over several hundred years become Western couch potatoes, along with diet, and the rest of our culture, and see if their favorable genetics protects them from CAD and strokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine