Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:50 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As country we live longer now. That's just a fact, there is data tracking this.

I think in large part is the fact that people back in your parents day got a lot of exercise and worked very hard well into their later years.

If you are not exercising, it will probably catch up with you.

My relatives and parents lived long lives into 80-90's....those who died younger smoked as I said. None of the women smoked. Now they keep drugging some people up to live way into their 90's-100's...A friend was telling about her 96 yr aunt the other evening and she keeps going and not living on drugs to keep her going. Many say people are just living too long anyway. Causing more stress for those who are caregivers. I've been following some posts in the Caregiver Section lately.

Yes, they exercised with hard work, scrubbing floors and planting gardens, not going off to gyms. Whatever...I don't want to be drugged and propped up to live longer.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My relatives and parents lived long lives into 80-90's....those who died younger smoked as I said. None of the women smoked. Now they keep drugging some people up to live way into their 90's-100's...A friend was telling about her 96 yr aunt the other evening and she keeps going and not living on drugs to keep her going. Many say people are just living too long anyway. Causing more stress for those who are caregivers. I've been following some posts in the Caregiver Section lately.

Yes, they exercised with hard work, scrubbing floors and planting gardens, not going off to gyms. Whatever...I don't want to be drugged and propped up to live longer.
Yes, I wonder how much our increased longevity in the last 25 years is based on longer and miserable nursing home stays, thanks to the "wonders" of Big Pharma?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The anti-statin folks are not talking about you. They are talking about doctors who plug in the numbers provided by the American Heart Association, and prescribe you the statin based on the result of those numbers. Doesn't matter if you are thin, doesn't matter if you exercise, doesn't matter if your triglycerides are low, doesn't matter if you have no family history. YOU NEED A STATIN BECAUSE THE AHA'S CALCULATOR SAYS YOU NEED A STATIN.

It's a total scam. And remember, the AHA is the one who allows cereal companies to put the "healthy heart" symbol on their boxes of junk cereal. Why? Because the cereal makers pay for the privilege, and cereal does not have cholesterol and saturated fat. Of course it is loaded with sugar and junk carbs, but the AHA could not care less. All they want is $$$$.
No, use of the guidelines never means prescription of a statin is guaranteed. The patient decides whether to use it or not.

http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/ac.../1361.full.pdf

"Importantly, lifetime risk is primarily intended to enhance discussion and promotion of an optimal lifestyle; it is not intended per se to dictate statin prescriptions."

"As opposed to decisions in the acute care setting, decisions regarding chronic therapy (e.g., a statin) are, by definition, less pressured, and patients should be given adequate time to learn about their risk status and treatment options. Goals of this process include alignment with the patients’ values and preferences, along with engagement of the patients in their care."

"Our patients appreciate that evidence based guidelines exist to inform these discussions, but judgment is required, and they appreciate that guidelines with thresholds of estimated risk do not mandate medication prescription."

Note the box on page 1365. The risk score is intended to be used in conjunction with a discussion of lifestyle changes.

As far as a heart healthy food endorsement is concerned, here is the nutrition information for Cheerios (not from the manufacturer, by the way)

Cereals ready-to-eat, GENERAL MILLS, CHEERIOS Nutrition Facts & Calories

Note that only a small percentage of the carbs in the product is from simple sugar, about one fourth of a teaspoon per cup.

Despite your implication, paying the fees associated with use of the heart healthy symbol does not guarantee that use of the symbol will be allowed. The product must meet clear standards.

Heart-Check Food Certification Program Nutrition Requirements

Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Absolutely. Interesting that he talked about NSAIDS causing vascular damage. I hardly take them at all. Perhaps 1 or 2 per month for cramps. But my brother one time caused bleeding due to taking too many. He takes them routinely for back pain. He has extremely high blood pressure. I have low normal.

Cholesterol.. don't even get me started. I have "high" cholesterol. But I believe this is a genetic thing. I also believe that this is good for me. I believe cholesterol has zero effect on causing heart attacks.

I heard a theory once that I believe is the true cause of heart disease. The heart is the ONLY organ that is both a muscle and an organ. Thus, you need to maintain it like any muscle. So how do you do that. Basically keeping healthy but via glycosides. These are compounds that increase the output of your heart. They keep it strong. They keep it working well. Do you know what these are? CQ-10 is one. Magnesium is one. And Get this.. your body can make these -- guess what they make it out of -- wait for it. CHOLESTEROL!

As you grow older.. like everything. . . you make less of these substances. If you take pills to reduce your cholesterol you have less ability to make these substances. Your heart starts to fail. Like any muscle not getting sufficient nutrients.. dead cells die and accumulate in and around your heart vessels. This is the clogged arteries they talk about. Why don't you have clogged arteries around your liver?

Eventually your heart is working too hard and like any muscle that is stressed.. lactic acid starts to build. You cannot rest your heart and the lactic acid builds until you suffer a heart attack.

So stress on your heart is the cause of heart attacks. Can this seriously be doubted this year? Carrie Fisher dies at 60 from a heart attack? Allan Thick dies while playing basketball?

It is called the Myogenic Theory of Myocardial Infarction. Myogenic Theory of Myocardial Infarction: A New Look at Heart Attacks
You do, hepatic artery atherosclerosis is well documented.

And the heart isn't the only organ that is both muscle and organ. What about the small intestine for a start - basically all smooth muscle.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, use of the guidelines never means prescription of a statin is guaranteed. The patient decides whether to use it or not.

http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/ac.../1361.full.pdf

"Importantly, lifetime risk is primarily intended to enhance discussion and promotion of an optimal lifestyle; it is not intended per se to dictate statin prescriptions."

"As opposed to decisions in the acute care setting, decisions regarding chronic therapy (e.g., a statin) are, by definition, less pressured, and patients should be given adequate time to learn about their risk status and treatment options. Goals of this process include alignment with the patients’ values and preferences, along with engagement of the patients in their care."

"Our patients appreciate that evidence based guidelines exist to inform these discussions, but judgment is required, and they appreciate that guidelines with thresholds of estimated risk do not mandate medication prescription."

Note the box on page 1365. The risk score is intended to be used in conjunction with a discussion of lifestyle changes.

As far as a heart healthy food endorsement is concerned, here is the nutrition information for Cheerios (not from the manufacturer, by the way)

Cereals ready-to-eat, GENERAL MILLS, CHEERIOS Nutrition Facts & Calories

Note that only a small percentage of the carbs in the product is from simple sugar, about one fourth of a teaspoon per cup.

Despite your implication, paying the fees associated with use of the heart healthy symbol does not guarantee that use of the symbol will be allowed. The product must meet clear standards.

Heart-Check Food Certification Program Nutrition Requirements

I think she's more interested in conspiracy theories than factual data.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yes, I wonder how much our increased longevity in the last 25 years is based on longer and miserable nursing home stays, thanks to the "wonders" of Big Pharma?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945440/

"The mean length of stay among decedents was 13.7 months; however, this was explained by a relatively small number of subjects with long lengths of stay. The median length of stay was only 5 months (IQR 1-20). The majority of residents had short lengths of stay, 65% percent of decedents had lengths of stay of less than one year, and over 53% died within 6 months of admission."

Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The ONLY reason the patient will decide not to use a statin is because the education received from Dr. Google and Dr. YouTube. If this were 1995, every patient prescribed statins would take them because Dr. Google and Dr. YouTube did not exist. You were at the mercy of your all-knowing physician.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I am well aware that no matter how much the makers of Chips Ahoy cookies tries to bribe the AHA, they will not grant the Heart Healthy seal. I'm sure they would like to, but they would be totally humiliated. I don't remember the product that was about to get the seal last year, but the blow back was so enormous the AHA had to withdraw it.

The entire concept is ridiculous. There should be ZERO payment to the AHA for the Heart Healthy label. And the notion that your heart will be healthier if you eat Chocolate Cheerios for breakfast (junk garbage) instead of nutritious eggs (cholesterol in food does not raise serum cholesterol) proves that the AHA is a complete and total joke of an organization.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
..I don't want to be drugged and propped up to live longer.

That is everyone's personal choice. Like you choose medicine to cure you NOW (knee infection), at what point do you think you would choose just not to get treated? Antibiotics are ok, but not statins? What is your deciding factor?

I'm genuinely curious....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That is everyone's personal choice. Like you choose medicine to cure you NOW (knee infection), at what point do you think you would choose just not to get treated? Antibiotics are ok, but not statins? What is your deciding factor?

I'm genuinely curious....
It's true we all make our choices, and that prolo injection could have been the infection issue...I don't know FOR SURE, no one does. I am doing everything I know as I'm not eager to do a major surgery and then deal with MAYBE more nerve damage and more stiffness. And who knows how long of a rehab. I've been thru so much damage with hip replacement, I'm reminded always as I rub my thigh and HOPE for some feeling. It's aches a lot too. This is one complication from the hip replacement....

On statins I just don't believe cholesterol is an issue...this is the plain and simple reason for ME. I believe so many of the MD's in the Dr. Google area of healing. These doctors are no longer beholden to the pharma world.

And furthermore, I trust my MD as she is not concerned about cholesterol and we've done lipid panels for a few years...she was more interested in HOMOCYSTEINE levels and I've been able to bring those levels down with supps I've worked with. Why everyone ignores homocysteine I don't get it...so stuck on cholesterol which our body needs and brain for sure.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-21-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine