Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I agree, and the 'holistic solution' to avoiding root canals is extraction I have had 10 root canals, some of them more than 30 years ago, I sure would be a sight if I had gone to a holistic dentist and opted to have all those teeth extracted especially since two of them are my front teeth
I have never heard of anyone having so many, do you have an underlying medical condition that is causing this? So sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:31 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I have never heard of anyone having so many, do you have an underlying medical condition that is causing this? So sorry.
Not that I know of. Most of root canals were done very soon after having a tooth prepped for a crown, several of them before the permanent crown was even made. I was told that cutting a tooth down for a crown can stress the nerve, so I assume that is what happened, but I had two of them after having the crowns for over 20 years, both times the dentist thought it was because there was decay under the crowns but in both cases there was no decay. My oldest son he's in his 40's has had 4 root canals and is having another one next week, he bit on a cherry pit that was in a cherry pie and thought he broke his tooth, well the tooth is fine but he has to have a root canal..go figure

Old 07-01-2017, 11:15 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Not that I know of. Most of root canals were done very soon after having a tooth prepped for a crown, several of them before the permanent crown was even made. I was told that cutting a tooth down for a crown can stress the nerve, so I assume that is what happened, but I had two of them after having the crowns for over 20 years, both times the dentist thought it was because there was decay under the crowns but in both cases there was no decay. My oldest son he's in his 40's has had 4 root canals and is having another one next week, he bit on a cherry pit that was in a cherry pie and thought he broke his tooth, well the tooth is fine but he has to have a root canal..go figure
Well, according to this source (link below) the indications for root canals are either infection or inflammation in the pulp or root, and doing the root canal is supposed to prevent an infection or abscess in the area around the tooth. My first (and last, I hope!) root canal was done on a molar where apparently that infected pulp had spread to an abscess just next to the outside of the root. They saw it on x-rays, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.

Root Canals Explained

Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, according to this source (link below) the indications for root canals are either infection or inflammation in the pulp or root, and doing the root canal is supposed to prevent an infection or abscess in the area around the tooth. My first (and last, I hope!) root canal was done on a molar where apparently that infected pulp had spread to an abscess just next to the outside of the root. They saw it on x-rays, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced.

Root Canals Explained
ugh..I've never experienced any pain having one done. There were weird sensations, they stick a thing up there like a miniature bottle brush in the hole to clean out the root, and when they did my front teeth I got really freaked out because it felt like the drill was going into my nose but outside of that I have never felt any pain during the process (thank God)

Old 07-01-2017, 02:45 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
ugh..I've never experienced any pain having one done. There were weird sensations, they stick a thing up there like a miniature bottle brush in the hole to clean out the root, and when they did my front teeth I got really freaked out because it felt like the drill was going into my nose but outside of that I have never felt any pain during the process (thank God)
Well, I have to admit I was having some "come to Jaysus" pain before I ever set foot in that dentist's office. Apparently the abscess was festering away and getting worse by the hour- naturally reared it's ugly head as I was getting to my vacation destination, fortunately it was to visit family so I was able to prevail on my mother's very kind dentist ( who was conveniently in a partnership with his dad the endodontist) to take care of it- at least to the point of a temporary crown after the root canal.

It hurt so much before hand, I can't really say that it was worse when they worked on it. They gave me antibiotics to start with before hand, and the dentist started work on it, to be completed by his dad when he got back in town two days later, and it was pretty miserable that night. I guess what happens is sometimes when they work on a root canal on an infected tooth, and they seal it up, the gas produced by the bacteria can build up and cause pressure on the tooth, causing a great deal of pain. The pain's relieved when they open it up a bit, and so I returned to the dentist the next day and he worked on it a little more (not sure what he did) but it was intended to relieve the pain some. The dentist knew I was in town visiting family, and he felt sorry for me, so at the end of that visit he gave me another shot of novocaine and told me that would provide some relief for 6-7 hours, and it did, so I went out with my sister that day. The sad thing is I don't do well on pain meds- codeine makes me toss every cookie I've eaten for the last week, and just miserable, so I was taking Motrin around the clock (with Tylenol PM at night) to try and get through it. As bad as it was, though, I was just grateful that I could find a good dentist that was willing to help me out there- and who even, as it turned out, took our dental insurance ( I paid them first, and they later credited me when the insurance paid them). They sent a letter to my dentist at home, with copies of the X-rays, and records, so he knew what had occurred, and he did the final crown. My dentist also complimented their work.

I remember that little brush thing they used to clean out the root, my root canal was in the last molar so I didn't see much of what they were doing, but I had to fight the urge to gag. I can imagine having that drill working on your front tooth would make you feel like it WAS heading for your nose.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I have to admit I was having some "come to Jaysus" pain before I ever set foot in that dentist's office. Apparently the abscess was festering away and getting worse by the hour- naturally reared it's ugly head as I was getting to my vacation destination, fortunately it was to visit family so I was able to prevail on my mother's very kind dentist ( who was conveniently in a partnership with his dad the endodontist) to take care of it- at least to the point of a temporary crown after the root canal.

It hurt so much before hand, I can't really say that it was worse when they worked on it. They gave me antibiotics to start with before hand, and the dentist started work on it, to be completed by his dad when he got back in town two days later, and it was pretty miserable that night. I guess what happens is sometimes when they work on a root canal on an infected tooth, and they seal it up, the gas produced by the bacteria can build up and cause pressure on the tooth, causing a great deal of pain. The pain's relieved when they open it up a bit, and so I returned to the dentist the next day and he worked on it a little more (not sure what he did) but it was intended to relieve the pain some. The dentist knew I was in town visiting family, and he felt sorry for me, so at the end of that visit he gave me another shot of novocaine and told me that would provide some relief for 6-7 hours, and it did, so I went out with my sister that day. The sad thing is I don't do well on pain meds- codeine makes me toss every cookie I've eaten for the last week, and just miserable, so I was taking Motrin around the clock (with Tylenol PM at night) to try and get through it. As bad as it was, though, I was just grateful that I could find a good dentist that was willing to help me out there- and who even, as it turned out, took our dental insurance ( I paid them first, and they later credited me when the insurance paid them). They sent a letter to my dentist at home, with copies of the X-rays, and records, so he knew what had occurred, and he did the final crown. My dentist also complimented their work.

I remember that little brush thing they used to clean out the root, my root canal was in the last molar so I didn't see much of what they were doing, but I had to fight the urge to gag. I can imagine having that drill working on your front tooth would make you feel like it WAS heading for your nose.
I can imagine how it must have hurt if it was an active infection, I had a root canal that apparently went bad or whatever..because while we were getting ready to go to Europe for a family reunion I was in such horrible pain I thought we would have to cancel the trip. I called my dentist he said he was too busy to see me and refused to prescribe antibiotics for it. I was so mad! I had dental abscesses before and had been prescribed antibiotics for them, so I knew it would work, at least for a short time. So..I went to the aquarium store and bought Aqua-Mox which is USP grade Amoxicillin but packaged for fish. It's the same dose capsule as prescribed for humans, so I gave it a shot! The pain went away in a day or so. I took them for 7 days and found a new dentist to re-do the root canal when I got home. (I'm not suggesting that people take fish antibiotics but necessity is the mother of invention)

Old 07-03-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
It's only been extreme pain from an abscess/infection that required us to get a root canal and crown. It's such an expensive and invasive procedure. I've never had a dentist recommend one for any other reason.

Is this something new? Why would a cherry pit harm the nerve of a tooth and not simply just chip the tooth, which is a minor fix?

Old 07-03-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
It's only been extreme pain from an abscess/infection that required us to get a root canal and crown. It's such an expensive and invasive procedure. I've never had a dentist recommend one for any other reason.
Is this something new? Why would a cherry pit harm the nerve of a tooth and not simply just chip the tooth, which is a minor fix?
I don't have them for fun for heaven's sake! The only time I have known that I needed one was when I was in pain. Anything that traumatizes the nerve can cause an abscess. A dentist told me that when teeth are prepared for crowns if the tooth heats up too much it can cause an abscess. And I don't think my son's situation is unique in needing a root canal after biting on something hard because I've talked to other people who had that happen. It apparently jars the tooth in the socket and traumatizes the nerve. I'm not a dentist so I can't give you a better explanation.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I don't have them for fun for heaven's sake! The only time I have known that I needed one was when I was in pain. Anything that traumatizes the nerve can cause an abscess. A dentist told me that when teeth are prepared for crowns if the tooth heats up too much it can cause an abscess. And I don't think my son's situation is unique in needing a root canal after biting on something hard because I've talked to other people who had that happen. It apparently jars the tooth in the socket and traumatizes the nerve. I'm not a dentist so I can't give you a better explanation.
Hopefully one of our dentists can chime in and explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine